PDA

View Full Version : How Many Boolits Can You Get From A Lee Mold

Kawriverrat
06-18-2017, 02:56 PM
I've wondering how many boolits some of you are getting from your Lee Molds ? I'm hearing that some are getting what I would call fantastic life from these molds. However I've yet to get any where near 5000 bullets or more some say they are getting from a Lee mold.

I know to keep them lubed, good 2 stroke oil or equivalent. I've read through some of the other threads that disscuss mold maintenance. I'm wanting to purchase some more NOE molds but wish to know I'm getting the most life out of them as possible. So I dont mess up a good mold Thanks ....Jeff

Bzcraig
06-18-2017, 03:52 PM
I only have one Lee mold with at least 5k (358-105) from it and there is no reason there won't be at least that many more fall from it. I personally don't understand how with proper care a mold wouldn't last a lifetime.

dragon813gt
06-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Take care of them and they should last a lifetime or two. Don't beat on them and you will be fine. The aluminium that Lee uses is sub par compared to NOE or Accurate. But it's still serviceable and will last a long time.

17nut
06-18-2017, 04:29 PM
I scrapped a 405-459-HB 1 banger after @8k casts because the sprue hole got oblong and left a weird nose on the bullets.

tazman
06-18-2017, 04:54 PM
I have a Lee 6 cavity 358-158-RF that has over 5k boolits out of it and still casts as new. I see no reason for it not to last several times that amount.
I have never thought about a mold being an item I would need to replace because of wear.

MT Chambers
06-18-2017, 05:40 PM
The softer alum. used causes the area around the base to wear so instead of a nice round base, you get a base with flashing from that spot and the bullets don't drop well.

TexasGrunt
06-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Single cavity = one at a time.

Double cavity = two at a time.

Six cavity = six at a time.

RogerDat
06-18-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm guessing that the number of cavities is a good point. My double cavity mold would need to do 2,500 throws to do the 5,000 bullets that a 6 cavity does in 833 throws. Makes a difference having the wear and tear spread out over more cavities, also means one is more likely to do honking big pile-o-bullets when casting with a 6 cavity.

Making it more likely that one will stockpile a can or two of already cast anytime you break out the mold to use and get things flowing, especially in common plinking calibers. In a single session I seldom do less than 4 or 5 hundred casting with a 2 cavity. If that was a 6 cavity it would be 12 hundred to 15 hundred in roughly the same amount of work. For myself the single cavity are low volume special items, like shotgun slug or Minnie for muzzle loader but I would imagine .38 plinkers one would cast a pile of them once you got everything flowing and dropping well.

fred2892
06-18-2017, 08:28 PM
I have over 60000 (yes sixty thousand) out of my Lee 6 cavity 200 grain 44 mould that I bought new 12 years ago. Replaced a sheared sprue fulcrum bolt about 5 years ago but apart from that minor hiccup I would expect at least another 60000 and more out of it. Why not?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk

psweigle
06-18-2017, 08:54 PM
I just did 3000 158gr round nose 358's last weekend. All on the same mold I started on. It has to have 7000 or better cast from it.

GhostHawk
06-18-2017, 09:05 PM
A Proper care means just that. A lot of guys starting have no clue what that really means. I know I personally pretty much destroyed one 2 cavity mold with less than 1000 out of it. But I have learned since then.

B Lee 6 cavity molds are IMO in a totally different class than the 2 cavity.
Better all around, and easier to keep them good with just minor care.

I have a couple of 6 cavities that are either at or fast approaching the 5k mark.

Judging by the boolits you could never tell it was more than a month old.

Tools, it all depends on how you care for them.

Never tap anywhere but the center handle bolt. Period.

I like to take a stone or fine file to the bottom edge of the sprue plate. Just break that sharp edge. Turn it into a smooth gliding radius. Half a dozen strokes is all that is needed. Then a little 0000 steel wool polish to remove burrs.

I will often polish the hollows on sprue plate also, as they can be fairly rough. Give lead a place to stick once they are truly warm. I have been known to use a dab of Lee Alox, BLL or similar on a piece of steel wool to further anti stick. By the time the mold is up to temp it has dried, and lead just does not like to stick to that stuff. A flick of the wrist and it is gone.

Little things you learn.

Last, the more something costs you, the better care you take of it. If your smart at least. I've screwed up a few tools over the years. You learn from mistakes.

Tom W.
06-18-2017, 09:19 PM
I never knew Lee molds had a lifespan.

gwpercle
06-19-2017, 01:50 PM
I am still using some Lee moulds that are single cavity and cost $9.99.....I don't have any idea how many boolits were cast with them.
The truth is if a mould...any mould ...is taken care , not abused and used with proper lubrication and not beat on with a heavy hand , it should last you a life time.

That said, I watched my brother in law hammer a mould to death in the first casting session.
He didn't prep it or lube it and opened it with a ball peen hammer. I knew how he treated his things and made him buy his own mould, that guy can find a way to break a boat anchor.
He got about 250 out of his mould...he's tough on cars too !

Gary

CIC
06-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Now that is funny right there !

country gent
06-19-2017, 02:50 PM
A lot has to be said for care and operation of the mould influencing life span of the tool. Over heating, beating, "quick coolings" rough handling, all contribute to life span. Keep the mould lubed as needed, prealighn blocks on a straight edge flat surface when closing, handling with a soft gentle touch, the proper use of a mould tapper when needed ( light straight pushing taps not hits or blows at an angle) running at the proper temps and pace to maintain mould temps. All affect the life of a mould. Even brass or steel moulds life are affected by poor maintenance and handling. Ive seen a lot of alighnment pins with oval openings from closing in alighned. Set them on a straight edge when closing helps pre alighn the pins when closing and really slows this wear point.

jmort
06-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Take care of them and they should last a lifetime or two. Don't beat on them and you will be fine. The aluminium that Lee uses is sub par compared to NOE or Accurate. But it's still serviceable and will last a long time.

Yes...

rintinglen
06-20-2017, 04:31 PM
given the soft aluminum LEE uses, I would expect significant wear in the 5,000-7000 casting range, 30000-42000 boolits worth of a 6 cavity mold. Proper care and lubing could easily double this.

However, do not drop them on concrete flooring. I can assure that does not help extend the life of the mold---grumble, grumble.

John Boy
06-20-2017, 06:06 PM
The Lee Precision Guarantee ... http://leeprecision.com/satisfaction-guaranteed.html

dubber123
06-20-2017, 09:20 PM
I have a 6 cavity with close to 40,000 out of it, and still casting nicely. The best advice I ever got was; "If you can hear a mold close, you did it too hard" I keep mine well lubed, and close gently.

bullseye67
06-20-2017, 10:18 PM

HaHaaHaaa.....I love it!!!
In all seriousness, I have several Lee 6 cavity molds that are way past the 20K mark and still drop perfect boolits. I used to keep track of primers by 1K box tops, but I gave up on that system and now write down beside the load data as I open a new sleeve of 5000. On the load for the Lee version of the #68 I have six marks. So I would have cast and loaded close to 30K myself and I have cast several thousands for other club members.
I was casting the other day with my second favorite Lee 6 cavity mold 358-158-FN. I did 2 sessions and used about 60 pounds of alloy or about 2500 boolits. I think this boolit is the best I have shot in a Rossi mares leg, can you say gopher be...gone! I have 2 marks beside the loads for rifle and 2 by the pistol load, so somewhere around 20K. It looks like new. The 45 #68 is showing some wear to the top of the blocks but still has sharp bases. A good coating of 2 stroke oil as sprue plate lube and I wipe the molds down with the oily rag when I put them away.
I also have some 1 cavity Lee molds that are really old....like...$4.95 old!! I will take them out every now and then and cast a few hundred.
One is a 454 wadcutter. I load it up in my Ruger RedHawk in 45 Colt. Absolutely destroys 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water:Luvcastboolits: especially LEE....

bedbugbilly
06-21-2017, 08:48 AM
I would imagine that like anything else, a mold can "go bad" for some reason but I have been casting now for over 50 years - I have molds of all makes and have had some Lee molds that I bought years ago - some with thousands of boolits cast out of them. Mine are mostly single/double cavity so I'm sure that may make a difference - never had a six hole Lee. I have a Lee DC 358-158 TL SWC that I've cast probably close to 6K out of and it still drops them like butter.

For the price, Lee molds can get the job done and keep on doing it if taken care of. But then again, I had a new one that I sent back and never cast in it as the cavities were misaligned and the pins not installed correctly - should never have left the factory. Like tools, cars, etc. - all depends on how you treat them and if you take care of them. I don't bang on my molds and have never sued a sprue whacker on any of them - aluminum or steel molds - but I've seen plenty of old Ideal/Lyman molds that look like they've been beat on with a ball peen hammer - but they still cast well. Aluminum? Yea, softer and things can happen . . but like everything in life, everyone's mileage will vary. -)

Kawriverrat
06-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I picked up on some things here I will be more mindful of....Jeff

big bore 99
06-25-2017, 07:26 PM
I have a bunch of Lee molds and been using them for quite a few years. Hard to guess how many. Mine seem to be getting better with use.

yondering
06-27-2017, 01:27 AM
Tens of thousands of bullets easily from the 6 cavity molds in my experience. Poor lubrication and abuse will easily shorten that to less than a thousand. It depends a lot on the user; IMHO if Lee molds don't last long for someone, the problem is the operator not the mold.