PDA

View Full Version : Removing unfired primers?

Bullshop Junior
11-12-2005, 12:37 AM
At the gun show in October I was walking around and then I saw a big box. I walked over to the box and inside was a sign that said make offer, so I started looking through the contents, and then I saw a stack of primers in the box being held together by tape. I asked a price and the man said free, the primers are free. I gobbled them up faster then a snake tongue flicker.
I got home and started to see what was in the stack. In the stack was 1 and 1/2 boxes of old winchester primers. I sold the full box for $5.00, and the other primers went in 30/30s and 35 remington cases. I later learned that the primers were corrosive. How do I get the primers out of the cases? Stick them in a bucket of water for a week and then pop them out while the primers are still wet? Help will be appreciated!
DANIEL/BS JR.

StarMetal
11-12-2005, 12:46 AM
well if you soak them with oil or something then you have to get the oil out of the case or it ruins some powder. If you tumble them it doesn't help your media any. Actually to tell you the truth I've sized cases that had live primers in them and never ever had one go off. Besides if it does nothing is going to happen except "pop" . If you decide to do that, wear safety glasses and don't let the primers accumalate in a pile just incase one goes off into the pile.

Joe

Oldfeller
11-12-2005, 12:49 AM
How about ---- resize the case and they just pop out naturally just like a spent one would do ?

Bullshop Junior
11-12-2005, 12:50 AM
well if you soak them with oil or something then you have to get the oil out of the case or it ruins some powder. If you tumble them it doesn't help your media any. Actually to tell you the truth I've sized cases that had live primers in them and never ever had one go off. Besides if it does nothing is going to happen except "pop" . If you decide to do that, wear safety glasses and don't let the primers accumalate in a pile just incase one goes off into the pile.

Joe
Starmetal
Thank you!!!!
I will give that a try.
DANIEL/BS JR

waksupi
11-12-2005, 01:07 AM
BS Jr, to remove the primers from the .35 Remington, you send them to me, and I will take care of it.

NVcurmudgeon
11-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Daniel, If your cases are already primed, why not shoot them? I'll bet your dad can show you how to pump hot water through your barrel with a tight-fitting patch, for rust-free cleaning.

StanDahl
11-12-2005, 05:15 PM
I've just de-capped unused primers as if they were spent, with the decapping stem pushed out a bit farther to keep from resizing the case. You could shoot them and then clean afterwards with Ed's Red solvent. As Ed himself says in his posting for the ER recipe:

"I have determined to my satisfaction that when Ed's Red is used exclusively and thoroughly, that hot water cleaning is unnecessary after use of black powder, Pyrodex or chlorate primers. If hot water cleaning is used, you should be sure to flush thoroughly with Ed's Red to prevent after-rusting which could result from residual moisture. It is ALWAYS good practice to clean TWICE, TWO DAYS APART whenever using chlorate primed ammunition, just to make sure you get it all."

Or you could just de-cap them and toss them in the trash. HTH Stan

Char-Gar
11-16-2005, 11:43 PM
you can do it as others suggested like spent primers...just go slow and pressure the primer out and not hit it.

Last year I was decapping a couple hundred 30's vintage WRA 30-40 cases with a Wilson base and punch. I was watching TV with the punch and base on a small table in the bedroom and the Beloved Redhead was piled up in the bed watching the tube...well...I had about ten primers in the base when I hit the punch a "leetle" too hard and all eleven primers went boom.

The base came off the table about 1/2 inch and fire shot out the opening. No real harm was done, but the table was awarded the Purple Heart. Lordy was the wife pissed.

I decaped the rest in the press.

versifier
11-17-2005, 01:37 AM
I have a Lee Universal Decapping Die. I have used it on several occasions to pop out some live ones and it works great. with it, I don't need to readjust decapping pins in my sizer dies. I just took it slow and easy instead of at the usual frenetic pace working pistol cases through carbide sizers.

Iron River Red
11-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Once you get them loaded with some good cast bullets, send them to me and I'll take care of them pesky things for you.

Willbird
11-18-2005, 06:06 PM
BSJ, I know one thing, from reading some experiments somebody did oil, water, wd-40, and lots of other things will not kill primers 100%

Probably the SAFEST thing to do is load the ctg. with black powder (and projectiles) and shoot them, I have read that coro is not as bad with black powder, and you have to clean the bbl with hot soapy water anyway to get the coro out, so why not make lots of smoke while your at it ??

If your dead set on de-capping them, I know the ram on a JR press can be reversed, so the slot is to the back, then put in say a 45/70 die with a 22 de-capping stem, and after de-capping each case remove the primer from the area before you do another, and wear safety glasses. That said I have never had one go off while de-capping. :-)

Bill

felix
11-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I just run them through a slotted ram machine, and if they pop off, so what. One did once, and it was a surprise to say the least, but absolutely zero harm done. Just go slow as not to break the plastic coating around the anvil, which I THINK set that one off. ... felix

KCSO
11-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I use an old 310 tool and have not yet had one pop off. The gentle squeeze lets you re use them if you get desperate. This started with an old UNCLE who saved primers he took out in the 30's and re used them in the 40's when they were not available.

Newtire
11-22-2005, 03:17 AM
I too just put it in the press, go slow & push em out. Gotta clean the damn floor though of those live ones! Using an inertia puller & hit one. Bang! Needed new underwear anyhow!