PDA

View Full Version : 8x57 Mauser... Gas Check required?

medicstimpy
07-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Just looking to the experts here. I run a lot of my GC design bullets with out the GC without problems. The only boolet I use GC's on now are my .223's.

Just starting to cast the Lee C324-175-1R for 8mm Mauser. Using Lars' Red Carnuba and H4895 (no load data yet as I have to work it up).

Do I absolutely have to run a GC on this bullet out of a M48 Yugo Mauser? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ben
07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Rarely will you achieve the accuracy potential of the bullet by leaving off the gas check.

Ben

Larry Gibson
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Depends on several things but I've rarely gotten any meaningful accuracy above 1100 fps with GC bullets sans the GC in rilfes. True FB cast bullets can be pushed to 1500 fps with pretty good accuracy in the 8mm. With 4895 to burn efficiently a certain pressure is required and that is above the level you'll get any accuracy without using the GC. With the GC try starting at 27 gr of H4895 and work up to 32 gr in 1 gr increments. Use a 3/4 gr dacron filler over the powder. With the bullet sized .324-.325" you'll find happiness in that range.

Larry Gibson

docone31
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Without a gas check, I found paper patching to be effective. In fact, I find it simple.
The mauser bullet should fit in a cigarette roller and make patching a snap.

pdawg_shooter
07-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Paper patch and you can use full power loads with accuracy on par with jacketed bullets.

medicstimpy
07-23-2008, 09:40 PM
KEWL! Thanks for the tips and advice, guys! :-D I will start off with finding the best load with the GC's and then I'll try the cigarette roller thing with paper patches. I think I still have one of them cheap machines around some place. I'll probably try a few unchecked boolits just to see what it's like, as well.

docone31
07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
You are going to like the cigarette machine technique. I am a lefty so it took some thought to get the direction right.
The cigarette roller makes the patches real tight and they dry nicely. I set them ogive down in an empty 9mm cartridge tray. They dry overnight.
I found, wet patches tear on the gas checks. I did them without checks and no tear. As a matter of face, they size a lot easier without the checks also.
I use Meade Tracing Paper, with my .303 British, I size the castings to .308, and two wraps to get a dry .3135. No lube. I use Lee Case Lube to size with. It washes off with hot water.
With your 8mm, you will have to figuire out the finished diameter to size it to to start wrapping.
If you want finished .325, you might want to size .320 to start. You will find a lot of helpful and informative folks on the paper patch threads. I am probably off on the math.

AZ-Stew
07-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I finde this "cigarette rolling machine" technique very intriguing. Can anyone post some photos showing the step-by-step procedure? I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Stew

docone31
07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I do not have the ability to post photos, sans camera, but,
It is with a cheapee plastic two roller cigarette roller.
Open the roller. there will be a gap with vinyl over the rollers. Wet the patch, put the boolitt on top of the patch, close the roller, and roll away.
I had trouble with some, where the patch came back out. I opened the roller after backing the patch in, and folded down the naughty corner. Then I again rolled. Perfect patch. the fold part ends up in the twist and is not noticed.
I put my patches in real wet. The roller squeeges the water off the patch. Perfectomundo!
I got first time results with that cheapee.
The machines cost about 4$.
You do not use them like you would roll a cigarette. There you would put the tobacco in first, close it, roll it, then add the paper and roll.
With paper patching, you put the paper in the gap between the rollers, put the boolitt in, in the direction to be rolled, close the rollers and roll. Open the rollers and the finished patched boolitt comes out.
BadaBing, BadaBoom.

AZ-Stew
07-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the info. Now, where do you get one of these cigarette rolling machines? I gave up tobacco about 20 years ago and no longer frequent places where it is sold.

Regards,

Stew

Wayne Smith
07-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I do not have the ability to post photos, sans camera, but,
It is with a cheapee plastic two roller cigarette roller.
Open the roller. there will be a gap with vinyl over the rollers. Wet the patch, put the boolitt on top of the patch, close the roller, and roll away.
I had trouble with some, where the patch came back out. I opened the roller after backing the patch in, and folded down the naughty corner. Then I again rolled. Perfect patch. the fold part ends up in the twist and is not noticed.
I put my patches in real wet. The roller squeeges the water off the patch. Perfectomundo!
I got first time results with that cheapee.
The machines cost about 4$.
You do not use them like you would roll a cigarette. There you would put the tobacco in first, close it, roll it, then add the paper and roll.
With paper patching, you put the paper in the gap between the rollers, put the boolitt in, in the direction to be rolled, close the rollers and roll. Open the rollers and the finished patched boolitt comes out.
BadaBing, BadaBoom.

Does anyone have the same thing for cigars? I'm thinking .45-.50 caliber.

docone31
07-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I find them in convience stores. You can also order them directly from the internet.
http://www.ryotobacco.com/page/ryot/PROD/hroll/hump
This one might work for the larger calibers.
That sight also has the cheaper ones.

yeahbub
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Any cast boolit for .30 cal can be patched up to 8mm diameters, which widens the range of available boolits to use. If they cast to .310 or so, three wraps of 100% rag drafting vellum (.0025 thick) will do it. If they cast .315 or so, two wraps will bring them up to .325. A layer of teflon thread tape and a smear of soft lube makes the medicine go down (the bore or sizer) quite well. A layer of LLA on the loaded round will handily waterproof them for use in inclement weather.