PDA

View Full Version : Flying with hunting gear

crabo
07-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I am planning my deer hunting trip to North Dakota this November. I am starting to worry about getting my gear up there without paying a fortune for extra weight. In the past it wasn't a problem because of the baggage you could take.

I am thinking I may have to wear my heavy jacket on the plane with a carryon with my clothes. I've thought about shipping some things UPS.

Obviously, I need to pare down to where I only take the essentials. Anyone have any advice? I will be staying on my in-laws farm, so that helps with what I need to bring.

Thanks,

Crabo

Scrounger
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Good idea to pre-ship everything you can UPS, even clothing. Make your rifle your only luggage. Legally you could ship it to your family or yourself for the hunt but you might have to convince some UPS personnel about that. Probably better to set it up with the airline people and carry it with you. No ammo to travel with the rifle.

1Shirt
07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Good advice from Scrounger. That said, I might also add that in reality, most of us have more gear than we need in prep for hunting, that we never use. One of those "Just in Case" things. I am guilty of it, and so are most of my hunting buddies.
1Shirt!:coffee:

trickyasafox
07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
flat rate box some stuff too. USPS insured will be way less than UPS

chickenstripe
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
This is also one of my big concerns. I'm planning a trip to Africa, and I don't want to be without any of those "just-in-case" items. I plan on taking gunsmithing hand tools and cleaning supplies.

All made of metal, and all heavy....... anyone have any suggestions on an "outside-the-country/hunt-of-a-lifetime" hunting gear list?

Scrounger
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
This is also one of my big concerns. I'm planning a trip to Africa, and I don't want to be without any of those "just-in-case" items. I plan on taking gunsmithing hand tools and cleaning supplies.

All made of metal, and all heavy....... anyone have any suggestions on an "outside-the-country/hunt-of-a-lifetime" hunting gear list?

The Priority Mail boxes we all so love to abuse can be sent Internationally, albeit at a higher price and possible customs headaches. Inquire of your Safari outfit whether or not they might carry along such things as a matter of course or whether you might be able to purchase them in-country and give them to your guide when it's over.

Scrounger
07-23-2008, 12:48 PM
flat rate box some stuff too. USPS insured will be way less than UPS

Flat Rate Boxes are a big advantage for heavy stuff and stuff that will fit in them, they're not very big. USPS insurance is far more expensive than UPS, and on boxes bigger than Flat Rate size, UPS is cheaper (and slower) than Priority Mail. You have to analyze your shipping problem and figure which best fits the bill. Very possible you could use both.

clintsfolly
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
grayhound bus will ship and hold stuff you pickup anytime clint

crabo
07-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Can you "flat rate box" ammo? Does it require a hazmat fee?
Is ammo considered "hazardous"?

Crabo

klausg
07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Crabo-
Nope, USPS will not do any HAZMAT.

-Klaus

longhorn
07-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Chickenstripe--look over at accuratereloading.com under the African forums--you'll find some lists that should interest you. Wish I were going!

MtGun44
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Chickenstripe,

I did an African hunt a few years ago. Take any special tools you may need to
swap a scope. I hunted with a Ruger M77 and got a spare scope and rings and
mounted and zeroed and then put the original back on. Never needed it, fortunately.

Make sure you have the US Customs forms with your rifle and other valuables
like newer model cameras before you go to verify ownership and avoid problems
going in and coming home.

What animals are you hunting? Where?

Bill

dakotashooter2
07-25-2008, 10:14 AM
That said, I might also add that in reality, most of us have more gear than we need in prep for hunting, that we never use.

You may have noted he is coming to North Dakota. I have hunted here in November in 80 degree weather and I have hunted in -20 degree weather. There can easily be a 50 degree swing in temp and weather conditions in a day around here at that time of year. Around here there is no such thing as Too much gear.

runfiverun
07-25-2008, 01:21 PM
4 in 1 systems are great and layering are what you want.
ammo with the gun and separate ,if you are going with a buddy ,alot of guys
split their ammo with each other.
you could also ups a box to your outfitter, could call and ask him.

crabo
07-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Dakotashooter2, are you in North or South Dakota? I will be in the Grand Forks area.

dakotashooter2
07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
North. In Grafton 40 miles N of GF.

You could probably save some weight and space by also wearing your boots, and stashing binoculars in your carry on. Though I have not flown to hunt anywere this is where a take down gun such as the TC or even a carbine length gun may be of some advantage.

You might even want to see what the charge is for an overweight bag. It may be close to what it would cost to ship stuff through a carrier.

I've always thought that the drop bottom luggage bags would be nice for this but if you get one big enough to get a gun case in the bottom then it is oversized. As a matter of fact under the latest regulations it appears that most hard gun cases over 44" long would likely be clasified as oversized.

Of course in my case it's generally not an issue cause I do about 95% of my hunting with handguns anyway.