PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun help needed

Jim Flinchbaugh
06-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Friend brought me a Western Field Deluxe, 20 gauge, marked sold by Montomery Wards.
Model number on the action says Model 50.
This has been in a shoe box un-assembled for 6-7 years and he wanted me to put it back together.
I got it put back together but I am not sure if the lifter that moves the shell from the magazine to the chamber is working right.
I can NOT find a diagram for this model anywhere. Similar models are Stevens 520/620, but the guts are slightly different
in they show a spring to help the lifter move the shell. This action has no provision for any spring.
These are a take down model designed by Browning, and made for all the differing hardware stores/ retailers, so no real clue who may
have made it.
Anybody have a cartoon for a Western Field Model 50 20 gauge?

pietro
06-18-2017, 08:38 PM

FYI, according to the well-known Store Brand Cross-Reference List:

The Western Field Model 50 is a store brand Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 .22LR auto-loader.

The Western Field Model 30, however, is a Savage Model 520.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/schematic/Savage_620OldStyle_schem.jpg

Your friend's shotgun needs a lifter spring (part #22, above), which is a leaf spring that bears on the underside of the lifter w/o any visible means of attachment.

Since you evidently don't have that spring, the original has most likely either gone walk-about, or had the leaf snapped off it's rear/base end.

GhostHawk
06-18-2017, 08:43 PM
There is a whole list of shotguns under Western Field at Numrich parts. No model 50, but a whole series of 520, 530 etc. Possible light strike on the #?

Google is your friend, good luck.

Jim Flinchbaugh
06-19-2017, 10:16 AM

The Western Field Model 50 is a store brand Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 .22LR auto-loader.

Your friend's shotgun needs a lifter spring (part #22, above), which is a leaf spring that bears on the underside of the lifter w/o any visible means of attachment.

Since you evidently don't have that spring, the original has most likely either gone walk-about, or had the leaf snapped off it's rear/base end.

Numerichs nomenclature is wrong, this is MARKED ON THE ACTION Model 50 and it is is a 20 gauge.
Youtube videos on the Savage 520 does show the lifter spring you mention, on pin -removable from one side.
This one has no pin, or provision for it. I do think there is supposed to be a spring in there like you said,but no way to retain it
seems weird?
This gun is very close to the 520, but there is some internal differences.
I wonder what the chances of the 520 spring working?
Cant be very much guess I'll order one and see if I can figure out how it stays in

Jim Flinchbaugh
06-19-2017, 10:17 AM
There is a whole list of shotguns under Western Field at Numrich parts. No model 50, but a whole series of 520, 530 etc. Possible light strike on the #?

Google is your friend, good luck.
Google has been worthless on this one :)

sparky45
06-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Here's a very good video, hope this is the one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6XLH4GOpc

Jim Flinchbaugh
06-19-2017, 07:50 PM
I've watched that one and it is close but this one is different.
i sure there is a spring missing. this actin however does not have that hole that
the pin in the end of the spring goes in.
On Numerichs website there is 2 different springs, early and late, and they dont have either one :(

Jim Flinchbaugh
06-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Success!
I found the spring in the box it came in, slid all the way under one of the glued flaps!
And the hole for the spring was indeed there after I dug out my magnifiers and dug the goobers out of it :)
thanks for the help folks, it appears this one is a Stevens 520 A