PDA

View Full Version : On line shopping for vets

condorjohn
06-17-2017, 11:07 AM
On Nov, 11th all vets will be eligible to make purchases on line from military exchanges. Just like shopping at the Post or Base Exchange. Also, several businesses will be offering their products at military personnel discounts. This is a new benefit for vets.

All a vet needs to do to become eligible is to go to vetverify.com and register. They only want your name,
last four of your social and an email address. Once you have registered you will be able to start shopping, that is, starting Nov, 11th.

OS OK
06-17-2017, 11:27 AM
outstanding...thanks!

Ickisrulz
06-17-2017, 11:33 AM
That's good. Although I don't think I've ever seen anything AAFES offered that I couldn't get cheaper from Amazon.

sundog
06-17-2017, 12:18 PM
That's good. Although I don't think I've ever seen anything AAFES offered that I couldn't get cheaper from Amazon.

Ain't that the truth!

Taylor
06-17-2017, 04:09 PM
The only thing I was able to get cheaper at the commissary was cigarettes and coffee.However I did buy a CVA Kentucky Long Rifle one time at the PX for a good price.That rifle is about 35 years old now.

jonp
06-20-2017, 05:49 PM
You used to get great deals on post buy anymore not really. Congress did away with the tax free aspect I think so it's just a store now. As pointed out, you can get better deals on Amazon for most anything. I've had my daughter check the PX on Bragg and Ft. Campbell when she was there just to see.

You know, I'll make up a random list of things and have her get the on post price. I know my step parents said that gas was cheaper off post than on and my step dad is retired military.The only thing cheaper for them are camping spots for the RV

Ickisrulz
06-20-2017, 06:15 PM
You used to get great deals on post buy anymore not really. Congress did away with the tax free aspect I think so it's just a store now. As pointed out, you can get better deals on Amazon for most anything. I've had my daughter check the PX on Bragg and Ft. Campbell when she was there just to see.

You know, I'll make up a random list of things and have her get the on post price. I know my step parents said that gas was cheaper off post than on and my step dad is retired military.The only thing cheaper for them are camping spots for the RV

Still no tax on base.

WebMonkey
06-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Commissary is still cheaper by far for groceries.
Gas is a couple cents cheaper per gallon.
Ft wood anyway.
;)

Ickisrulz
06-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Commissary is still cheaper by far for groceries.
Gas is a couple cents cheaper per gallon.
Ft wood anyway.
;)

The commissary is a money saver for sure, even with the surcharge. The price of gas on base is the average of nearby gas stations' prices, or so I have been told.

kingstrider
06-20-2017, 07:43 PM
I shop at the commissary when I can because it saves on groceries. The only thing I buy at the MCX that is cheaper is booze but that is marginal. Guns are a joke, I can usually buy online with free shipping and pay a transfer to get it for less than the MCX sells them for.

snowwolfe
06-20-2017, 09:21 PM
I have to disagree with some of you. AAFES prices suck, period. There is always some other store, local or online who will beat them including the sales tax savings.
Commissaries? Some times you win, sometimes you dont. And often times any savings you end up with goes to tip the bag people plus their stupid surcharge.

And this is coming from someone who has 40 plus years shopping at BX's, PX's, and Commissaries and used to be a diehard supporter of both. We now buy most of our groceries from Food City, Kroger, and Walmart.

Taylor
06-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Well they have their case sales.I told the wife 25 years ago----NO MORE PEAS!!

snowwolfe
06-21-2017, 07:15 PM
We spent today driving to Ft Campbell just to see if anything has changed. They are supposed to have the largest PX in the world and it probably is. Gun prices were off the charts to high. How about almost $1,100 for a S&W Governor? Neither the wife or I spent a dime. I bet there wasnt more than a dozen people walking around and shopping. AAFES is going to have to do a lot more than offer online shopping. To be even remotely competitive they need to lower their prices by a wide margin.
Next we went into the Commissary and it was huge. At least 90% of the items were more expensive than our two local Wal Marts. Diet coke was $1 more per case in the Commissary. Porterhouse steaks were $12 a pound. We did buy a bunch of stewed tomatoes as they were on sale for $.39 a can. Even if the items are priced the same as Wal Mart it doesnt make much sense to shop there after paying the surcharge and then tipping the bagger for handling your groceries.
Sadly, it used to be such a great benefit that has now gone to the toilet. Gas on the post was $1.96 for reg. Drove out one of the gates and filled up for $1.94.