PDA

View Full Version : M die for 22 hornet

edadmartin
06-16-2017, 11:26 PM
I finally ordered my cz 527 lux in 22 hornet. I have most all dies molds once fired brass. After reading about crushed necks during bullet seating i wonder if an M die would help,at least until i get thru the first reloads for this rifle? Also i have some new brass and some once fired. Should i full length size all or just the fired brass or. What ?all suggestions welcome.

pworley1
06-16-2017, 11:39 PM
I use the Lee universal expanding die to just open the case mouth enough to get the bullet started without cutting any lead off as it is seated. I only crimp enough to keep the bullet from creeping under recoil, but this really doesn't require much. I usually only have to full length resize new brass, or brass that has not been fired in my rifle. You are going to enjoy your new rifle.

marlin39a
06-16-2017, 11:46 PM
I use the Lyman M die when loading hornets. And I only neck size my brass.

Chill Wills
06-16-2017, 11:49 PM
What die set do you have? You can get an after market expander for most sets. Are you mostly going to shoot cast. In that case a dedicated step expander would come in handy.
You should have a good rifle with that CZ choice. Fun!

Hawks Feather
06-16-2017, 11:51 PM
Full length sizing probably will not do much to new brass outside of removing any deformities in the neck. I have a Hornet and if it were me, I would run all of them through the full length sizer. I also chamfer the inside of the neck. The base of your bullet will depend how much you ‘might’ or ‘might not’ need to open the neck after sizing. I tried some flat-bottom bullets that didn’t work at all. I think I got one seated out of the first three. After that I went to different bullets and really took my time.

Chill Wills
06-16-2017, 11:52 PM
I believe the Lee collet die is good and additionally, can be made to expand around a lager mandrel - I did mine. It is some lathe work but not hard.

Will still need some flair on the case mouth.

Hickok
06-17-2017, 07:54 AM
I use M die, and neck size with Wilson neck bushing dies. Also have the Lee collet neck die and it works fine. You will love the CZ.
Mine is a tack driver, cast or jacketed. I use pistol primers when reloading.

jmorris
06-17-2017, 10:16 AM
As its obvious the rifle you don't have yet didn't fire the cases you have a FL resize might be in order.

My Hornet shoots best (3/8 MOA) with cases that are only neck sized to the depth that the bullet is seated. This also gives brass the longest life.

Hickok
06-17-2017, 12:57 PM
197784Ed, this the boolit I use in my CZ Hornet. Lyman 225438.

dsh1106
06-23-2017, 08:10 AM
I use my 310 dies to load for my CZ, haven't had any issues yet.