PDA

View Full Version : Lee hand press Lube

Bazoo
06-16-2017, 09:51 PM
What can I use to lube my lee hand press that wont also get all over my hands?

I've been using some regular oil but I have to be real careful not to touch the ram or pivot points.

Thanks for suggestions

~Bazoo

W.R.Buchanan
06-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Bazoo: anything will work, you just have to be judicious in it's application.

I would apply any lubricant I chose with a small paint brush or toothpick.

I use Vaseline on my BPM Hand Presses during assembly, but it would get on you with the Lee Press because of the way the ram is exposed.

This is another one of the Problems with the Lee Press that I addressed with my tool.

Randy

Bazoo
06-24-2017, 03:22 PM
I seen your press WR, It looked great, but not cheap for someone like myself with limited funds to put into my reloading.
Thanks for the reply.

Im not real versed in different types of lubes. Maybe there is a dry lube out there that wouldnt contaminate powder? I never thought of looking for such until just now.

sawinredneck
06-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Powdered graphite would work as a dry lube and not effect the powder.

Landy88
06-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Wax -- bees' is better but paraffin will do.

Lee's own case lube, too -- it's only messy once per application, then it's clean and dry.

Bazoo
06-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have powedered graphite, and I know it wont contaminate powder. It is messy though, but so is the oil I been using.

Lee case lube....hmm. I have hornady one shot case lube, and imperial sizing wax. Might give one of those a try.

daboone
06-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Maybe topic but Vaseline is a good press lube.

Landy88
06-24-2017, 08:32 PM
Lee case lube....hmm. I have hornady one shot case lube, and imperial sizing wax. Might give one of those a try.

Lee's is different than other case lubes, being a repackaged soap based industrial lube. It dries to a white powder safe film. Some say Hornady's Unique in the tubs or wire pulling lube from a builders supply are similar.

One Shot and Imperial should work fine but won't be the same dry film.

Aviation supply houses sell some dry film lubes that are much better yet, if you are willing to order something to do the job: http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/aircraft-penetrants-protectants-sealants/t-9-waterproof-lubrication-rust-corrosion/t-9

Bazoo
06-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Sounds like the Lee Lube would be real close to what I want but the aviation lube would be the ticket. Pretty cheap too. Thanks Landy.

~Bazoo