PDA

View Full Version : Turning Bullets ?

Johnch
06-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Was not sure where to put this ... So move it if I put it in the wrong area

OK ...I have , well it might be a Messed Up Idea about a cast bullet design

So I got to thinking
Could I turn like a dozen bullets out of Cores of WW to try in loads ?
1 per core

And if I did turn the bullets , would I or someone better on the lathe be able to hold close enough to spec to see if my idea would work ?

LOL IMO if the idea worked , I sure would take the time to make a mold
As I am sure there would be a huge time saving

John

country gent
06-16-2017, 05:38 PM
One plus is it wont take any special cutters to turn them up as lead even lino or mono type can be turned with plain unhardened cold roll ground up. I believe I would pour my blanks in rods .050 - .100 big in dia. ( this allows complete clean up of all surfaces) I would then make a form cutter to punge cut the bullets outside shape and nose, once set up straight and true it would be a simple run imnto zero and go then part of the bullet from the rod. With a very sharp tool and some wax for lube this should produce some great bullets. The plusses to this is 1) no "super" tooling needed 2 the form can be cut and sharpened easily with jewelers files and stones holding the relief angle by hand 3) small changes can be made easily with the files and stones if you want to try different things. 4) the rods allow the bar to be held securely and fed out as needed. Leads are soft so keep it as close to the chuck as possible for strength. 5) the number of bullets can be ran to test re test and modify as you go

country gent
06-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Remember on the form tool like the mould its a mirror immage

Oklahoma Rebel
06-16-2017, 10:34 PM
and you could do shapes impossible with moldes,like undercut lube grooves for more lube capacity