PDA

View Full Version : Remington R380 - anyone have one?

bedbugbilly
06-15-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm giving thoughts to adding one or two .380 ACP pistols to the "herd" - not for CCW/SD but just to play with for plinking, etc. Been a while since I loaded 380 but I think that it would be fun to load something with smaller amounts of lead/powder and experiment with.

Anyway . . . I'm looking at some different makes and after doing a search on here, I found nothing on Remingon's R380 semi-auto. Just curious . . . anyone here have one and shoot cast boolits from it. If so, your thoughts in regards to reliability, function, accuracy, etc. with cast? Yep, I know . . . a pocket gun not intended for range work but I had a Bersa for a short time (used) a number of years ago and I remember how much fun it was to kill pop cans, etc. with it - sold it fairly quickly as the previous owner had "bubba'd the trigger - not Bersa's fault.

I haven't had a chance to see/handle a R380 and after the fiasco with Remington's 9mm when it came out, am just curious if there are any issues with the R380 that one needs to be aware of?

Thanks!

Jim

Lefty Red
06-16-2017, 01:50 AM
I was just playing with one last week. It SEEMED well built and durable. Heavy and tad bulky compared to the LCP and 3AT. But it had a very serviceable DAO trigger.

Was thinking the same thing you was, but the price put me off. $325 was the cheapest I saw it at around here.

Curious to what others thought of it as well.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shooting on a shoestring
06-16-2017, 08:05 AM
No shooting experience on one. I seriously considered one and went with the S&W Bodyguard 380 instead. Sided by side in the gun shop, the Remington had moulded sights. The S&W had dove tails. Otherwise very similar size, weight, trigger pull. The S&W has lots of light strikes. Seems the firing pin block is dragging. Might have to trade into the Remington.

aegis14
06-16-2017, 12:05 PM
My wife has one and I get to feed it. I've been using Lyman 358242 120gr sized to 357. Works great.

williamwaco
06-16-2017, 12:10 PM
I find the 380 a nightmare to load. They are so small I drop them constantly.

Lefty Red
06-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Yes, if the Remington had replaceable sights, it would be more popular.

pjames32
06-16-2017, 05:25 PM
The original design was the Rohrbaugh .380 and the Rohrbaugh R9. I have an R9. Simple well built gun when Rohrbaugh built them. They sell north of $1,000 today so if Remington comes out with a 9mm I'll take a look so my Rohrbaugh can go in the safe. Rohrbaughs ad said "carry a lot and shoot a little". Mine is in my front pocket a lot!