PDA

View Full Version : Hello, my name is Rex and....

TexasGrunt
06-15-2017, 08:54 AM
I'm a mold addict.

I woke up this morning to find I had won an eBay auction for a Lyman SC 358250 mold. I received a Lee 105 gr .38 SWC mold yesterday and right now I have four molds inbound. The aforementioned 358250, a DC 358311, a DC H&G #50, and a Arsenal 4C .40 180gr WFN.

I've only been into casting for about 6 months but it's really gotten into my blood. No matter how much I hurt, if I'm able to crawl out to the garage I can sit in my office chair and cast boolits. Since sex is no longer an option for me casting is the second best thing to happen to me. #1 is playing with or loving my fid.

Randy C
06-15-2017, 12:16 PM
It's a good hobby

Harter66
06-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Brother I know the feeling . I have 6 sets of 45 cal dies and 12 moulds 4 sets in 9mm 38/35 and 8 moulds . All of which is fine except I only have 3 of each .

We had a cockatiel for about 2 yr . My daughter brought her home . I was in the house about 30 seconds and was property of the bird . No clue why . It's funny , she would tolerate the girls next to me on the couch but would puff up and click at X1 . I think she laid herself to death , some 50 odd eggs in the 6 weeks before she just fell off her roost just after dinner one evening .

Grmps
06-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Wikipedia --A fid is a conical tool traditionally made of wood or bone. It is used to work with rope and canvas in marlinespike seamanship. This didn't seem right sooo I dug deeper .
fid = Feathered kID, Feathered Friend,Furniture Instantly Destroyed:-P, "pet children" ,
fid; A term of endearment encourages owners to anthropomorphize their birds – which means we assign human qualities to a non-human creature or object. ---FRIEND

If it's a newer Lyman mold you may need to leement (Polish) one of the cavities to get both cavities to match. I've acquired several newer Lyman molds for pennies on the dollar because the cavity sizes were different, worse case senario was a 4 cacity mold that none of the cavities were the same and the size spread between cavities was over 4 thou. I (and many other people) feel Lyman is circling the drain. Their prices are high, their quality/quality control has gone from excellent to almost non-existant , replacement/repair parts are expensive (RCBS, Dillon, Lee are free). the plus side is their product are cheap used and offer many hours of repair (which is also fun and diversionary) giving you satisfaction when you get a defective product to function correctly.

Sorry about the pain, glad youve found a good diversion.
Casting is fun and addictive, if we would ever quit buying new molds and shooting X times as much, it might even save us some money.

Beagle333
06-15-2017, 02:11 PM
It's fun being a mold addict. I don't want em all..... just one of each! ;-)

Hardcast416taylor
06-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Well, at least you haven`t been teaching the bird to swear and you haven`t got around to chasing cars hoping their wheel weights will fall off! On the whole I`d say you are developing a real BIG chimp on your back with so few molds. Relax, NOE and Accurate are always coming up with new molds you don`t already have YET you must feed the craving and order them!Robert

gwpercle
06-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks Grmps , I would have never figured out fid....I thought he just misspelled bird !

Harter66
06-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Texas ,
If you thought this was a support group you were mistaken . This is a bunch of enablers , they will makes suggestions about the ones you've missed .

Jack Stanley
06-15-2017, 02:41 PM
There are more expensive addictions and you won't have to look far .

Jack

RoyEllis
06-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks Grmps , I would have never figured out fid....I thought he just misspelled bird !
I was glad he included a pic......I couldn't believe a Marine would openly post about playing with his tool, at least not around this bunch!

mdi
06-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Since sex is no longer an option for me... I hope this ain't a result of casting!:shock:

Char-Gar
06-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Get em while you can. I have a similar addiction, but pretty soon, I am going to be letting most of them go. I am starting to feel the hot breath of the grim reaper on the back of my neck.

DerekP Houston
06-15-2017, 04:13 PM
Texas ,
If you thought this was a support group you were mistaken . This is a bunch of enablers , they will makes suggestions about the ones you've missed .

+1, I was fine with my lee molds until these jerks introduced me to MP, NOE, and H&G

TexasGrunt
06-15-2017, 04:32 PM
I hope this ain't a result of casting!:shock:

Nope. Prostate cancer.

I didn't expect this to be a support group.

I received the new Arsenal today, cleaned it, heat cycled it twice. Got it hot again and started casting. Wrinkled boolits. Gave the cavities a light smoke and bam. Boolits raining down. I did notice I can't run it as fast as a iron four cavity though.

I really want to get my hands on that Lyman 358258 as it really looks like a neat looking boolit. What I'm really on the lookout for is a 358356 and a 358425 in either/both weights.

I've got a ton, over 3500, crankbaits stacked in the shop. I tried to sell them as a lot but received no takers. So now I'm going to start breaking them down into lots and sell them that way. Of course the money is going right back into this hobby.

mdi
06-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Didn't mean to pry, just joking. My apologies...

TexasGrunt
06-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Didn't mean to pry, just joking. My apologies...

Don't worry about it. It's the reality I live with. It's a choice I made. At least I'm still alive to joke about it. I had an aggressive prostate cancer. Without treatment I'd have been lucky to live 18 months.

mdi
06-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Yep, cancer ain't no fun! BTDT w/throat cancer and going on 6 years cancer free...

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2017, 01:05 PM
It`s like what the elderly old man said about women in the flic `The Magnificent Seven` (original version), "I became indifferent about women at age 83"!Robert