PDA

View Full Version : North Island New Zealand places to visit things to do?

10x
06-15-2017, 08:40 AM
The significant other is considering a visit to the North Island of New Zealand.
She has asked me to do some research on what I want to do.

I would not mind a few hours of fly fishing but internet research gives back outfitters and full meal deal fishing trips.
Gun stores, Sniders, Lee Enfields, and Martinis are interesting to me

Hobbit caves ? Glow worm caves? Cave rafting tours? I am not big on caves. Being under the ground has limited appeal to me.

any suggestions folks?

bruce drake
06-15-2017, 08:45 AM
send a PM to JeffinNZ here on the forum. He lives in Christchurch now but I believe he grew up on the North Island.

Southern Son
06-16-2017, 03:59 AM
I have never been to NZ, however, (and I don't let any of the Kiwis around here know I said this), they have great fishing. Don't just limit yourself to freshwater. NZ has the best kingfish and snapper in the world. We get quite a few fishing shows here in Oz that fish in NZ and one day I will get there and fish for kingfish on a flyrod off the rocks.

onceabull
06-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Southern Son is spot on got in front of me as to the Salt water flyfishing..I did that with a guide out of Opotiki on the No.Island, and it was most fun of the 4 Guided flyfishing adventures I booked on either Island (2 on ea.Island). BUT,the guide looked at my 12 Wgt.Rod and Abel reel and ventured "You will have fun,but you will never land a big kingfish off these rocks with that..!! " and he was right...!! I did beat out a 18 Lb.Snapper,though.. Onceabull

jonp
06-18-2017, 05:45 PM
jeffinnz was my first thought. Didn't he post some great pics of fishing last year or the year before?