PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
06-15-2017, 06:36 AM
Peter saw his opportunity and addressed the crowd. "People of Israel," he said, "what is so surprising about this? And why stare at us as though we had made this man walk by our own power or godliness? For it is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob—the God of all our ancestors—who has brought glory to his servant Jesus by doing this."

—Acts 3:12–13

It was a sink-or-swim moment for Peter. Either it would be a great victory, or it would be a horrible disaster. Either the lame man would stand to his feet, or he would collapse in a heap on the ground. But Peter was going for broke. And on that day, the supernatural invaded the natural. God decided to shake things up.

Simon Peter did not, in and of himself, have the faith to do what he was about to do. It was a miracle. God gave Peter a special measure of faith that enabled him to say to the man, “I don’t have any silver or gold for you. But I’ll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!” (Acts 3:6). Then Peter helped him to his feet.

Having done this, the Lord then showed Peter that he was to preach the gospel. And Peter gave a great presentation of who Jesus Christ is.

Sometimes we’ll take a step of faith—if there is a backup plan, a safety net. I think this is one of the reasons young people often are the ones starting new works for the Lord. They haven’t lived long enough to become overly cautious. They don’t know any better.

Don’t get me wrong. There is a place for caution. There is place for prudence. And certainly if you are young, there is a place for seeking the counsel of older people who have lived longer than you.

But having said that, there is also a place for faith. There is also a place for taking chances and taking risks. And as we get older, we are less willing to do that than when we were younger. Peter was willing to take steps of faith. Are you?

square butte
06-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Thank you for the morning word rl69

Ickisrulz
06-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Peter and the other Apostles had already been performing miracles in Jesus' name before Jesus ascended. Peter had learned through his successful experiences that the man would be healed.

In the Bible, God routinely asked his people to look back and see what he had done to give them confidence on what he'd do in the future,

USMC87
06-15-2017, 08:41 AM
A great lesson and start of the day.

Blackwater
06-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Another great lesson from The Book! Faith is an amazing thing. Even though I've seen it work, I'll always be awed by it, and admittedly, a bit surprised. The human side of me tends to doubt, and wonder "What if ...." But the hand of God is swift and sure! And when He wields it, mighty works are done, all in His glory and to show us what timid souls we truly are and tend to be. We are at our best when thoroughly challenged! Perhaps that's why God allows bad things to happen to good people???? So we'll finally find our courage and commitment, and get up and actually DO something???? Some think God can be "hard" on us. I wonder why we're so "hard" on God that he HAS to let bad things happen to us before we'll get up and do His will!

God is NOT some "sugar daddy in the sky." He is God, Lord of the universe and all that is, including us. WE make things hard for HIM, and when we get bad enough, as we seem dead set on doing these days, He CAN completely un-do all that He has done. And we're told that one day, He WILL end it all, and take those He found worthy to a new Heaven and a new earth, where evil will no longer exist, for it will have all been deposited in the "firey pit." It's all gonna' work out just like it's supposed to, in the end. So we really have nothing to fear IF we believe and comply with His directions. And yes, I know that's a "full time job" due to our basic natures. But those who truly love Him are constantly redirecting and retraining their free wills to more perfectly comply with His will and His instruction and advice. What a wonderful Lord we serve!