PDA

View Full Version : Old style Lee hand prime

abunaitoo
06-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Anyone still use the old Lee hand prime?????
The one with the round primer tray.
I have some parts for it.

Lloyd Smale
06-15-2017, 06:02 AM
I do. I still have 4 of them.

6bg6ga
06-15-2017, 06:09 AM
I have one (round) that I bought in the 80's. Today I use it to dump my primers in to put them in the primer tubes.

daloper
06-15-2017, 06:50 AM
I have and still use mine. I wish I was smart enough to have bought two. At the time I did not think that I would ever need to use it for the SPP.

jmorris
06-15-2017, 06:59 AM
I do too. I lost the small primer pin somewhere but another member had one he sent me.

Keep everything in its original box on the shelf these days.

Hickok
06-15-2017, 07:04 AM
I still use mine.

jhrosier
06-15-2017, 07:18 AM
I have two. One is still in use, the other needs the dawg-bone shaped link replaced.
I wish I had bought spare parts when they were available.

Jack

Lloyd Smale
06-15-2017, 07:36 AM
by the way I have some spares parts so maybe someone other then me will benefit more from this.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-15-2017, 08:33 AM
I have used the same one since the mid 70's, (last century), works great. Spare parts would be great though. I only use it for small primers which are by far the ones I use most of. I did deburr it when I bought it new and keep it greased per the instructions.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

jmort
06-15-2017, 08:48 AM
I have 8 to 12 but have given a couple few away. Regardless, I have a fleet and a bone-yard of parts. I got a bunch of replacement "tops" so I am good for 20 to 30 years. Great tool.

Guesser
06-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Yup!! 1 each set up for each size; spare parts under the bench.....

rancher1913
06-15-2017, 09:07 AM
I love using them over the newer ones with all the safety **** on them, I know its there for a reason but its just more stuff to cause problems. have 2 but one is out of commission until I can find the dog bone shaped piece that goes from the handle to the pushrod, somebody needs to cast a few of these and sell them.

mold maker
06-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Like many, I have and regularly use 2 of them. I recently bought a 3rd just in case.
I agree that someone could do us all a favor by reproducing the couple popular parts.

mazo kid
06-15-2017, 11:24 AM
If any of you that have spare parts would like to share some, please PM me with what you have and prices. I could use another top tray assembly as one of mine is compromised (but still usable). Thanks.

mckyboy
06-15-2017, 11:37 AM
I've used mine since 93, still keep it in its original box.

Green Frog
06-15-2017, 01:25 PM
I've got two in the basement, one each for small and large primers, but honestly, I much prefer the earlier, one-primer-at-a-time style with the screw-in shell holders. I've got one of those set up for about every caliber I'm likely to load regularly and a box of spare shell holders.

Froggie

MUSTANG
06-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Still use my 3, in fact except for 50BMG it's the only priming tool I use. Bought spare thumb "Spoons" several years ago because I started breaking the originals, haven't had problems since I replace the originals that bent or broke.

daboone
06-15-2017, 04:37 PM
I've hung on to my 6 round trays as I still find use for the Auto Prime II.

robg
06-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Got 2 ,one since 82 .got the second one about 10 years ago repaired broken lever on one as you can't get new ones now .might get the new bench primer tool one day. Why did they change a tool that just works so well?

GOPHER SLAYER
06-15-2017, 05:12 PM
I could use the round plastic cover for mine. I have two of the tools, one for large primers and one for small. One cover got so old and brittle it shattered when I dropped it on the floor. If you have one I would left, let me know please.

EDG
06-15-2017, 05:44 PM
I need the clear top cover

mdhillbilly1
06-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Anyone still use the old Lee hand prime?????
The one with the round primer tray.
I have some parts for it.
I have one that is missing parts.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
06-16-2017, 03:07 AM
Didn't think so many people still used it.
To be as fair as I think I can be, I'll put it up for auction. Starting price is shipping only.

Kevin Rohrer
06-16-2017, 05:20 AM
I believe I still use one, replacing the pot metal parts as they break. Lee "quality" always amuses me.

Bookworm
06-16-2017, 07:49 AM
I've got 3 of them. Used them regularly since the late 80's, until a few months ago when I got a Classic Turret Press.

ulav8r
06-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Had one that was NIB, with no shell holders. Listed it for sale and just moments before it sold, decided I should have kept it and adapted it to loading primer tubes for my RCBS bench primer.

RGrosz
06-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Got several of them. Set I up each for SP, SR, LP, & LR. They work great. They're my 'go to' primer tool. They went through the flood too and still work great.
Rob

W.R.Buchanan
06-16-2017, 01:30 PM
I have my original Lee Hand primer form1971. it is the one that is single loaded and doesn't have the primer tray. I found another one recently that had a few shell holders with it and I snapped it up for $5. I use that priming tool more than all the rest I have combined.

Always looking for shell holders for that tool, and I've got some odd ones.

Also both of mine got the complete deburring and polish treatment so they feel real good in my hand.

Randy

Artful
06-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Yep, I still use mine and prefer it over the Ergo Lee - or the RCBS hand tool (universal no shell holder)
Picked up a spare and a few parts. Wonder if someone else could make this tool out of good metal for a reasonable price.

pjames32
06-16-2017, 05:20 PM
I have only one. Replaced the top 30 years ago. Wish I had another.

mdhillbilly1
06-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Yep, I still use mine and prefer it over the Ergo Lee - or the RCBS hand tool (universal no shell holder)
Picked up a spare and a few parts. Wonder if someone else could make this tool out of good metal for a reasonable price.
I would consider getting some of parts made from plastic on a 3-D printer.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

CastingFool
06-17-2017, 07:59 AM
I have two, the first one was single load, the second had the two trays. installed one sp tray in one handle, lp tray on 2nd. handle. Someone here posted that Titan reloading had the round clear plastic cover, so I bought two. So now I have one on each dedicated handle and a spare.

Reddirt204
06-17-2017, 08:48 PM
I bought one off ebay years ago and it's still going strong, from reading this thread and a couple of others on other sites some one could do very well 3D printing some spares or CNCing the metal bits,I wouldn't think a big problem as Lee no longer sells them or supports them at all

cheers

Reddirt204

rockshooter
06-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Lee sells the dog-bone part still- part # pt2970 for $3. I'd call about the lever- I recently bought a couple but I can't remember where- either Lee, Midway. Midsouth
Loren

gunarea
06-18-2017, 07:01 AM
I'd guess you could say I'm a user
All mine are over thirty at least and the covers have yellowed with use. Great tool, for me.
Roy

Little Oak
06-18-2017, 08:00 AM
I only have the one bought in the mid 70's I'd say when they were first available in UK. It seems to be better quality than the newer versions of the same and has primed an awful lot of cases.
Only problem I ever had is with the shell holders - they tend to vary in thickness quite a bit and if thin can leave the primer a coupla thou proud. I mike up all new ones and if I get a thin one I cut out and glue a suitable shim on the top side - problem solved.

Rick Hodges
06-18-2017, 10:59 AM
I still use mine...purchased sometime in the late 70's

Elkins45
06-18-2017, 11:49 AM
I have owned one since the mid 80's. Just last year I saw one new in a dusty, faded box in a small shop with a $15 price tag on it. So now I have two.

I don't use mine as much as I used to since getting an RCBS APS unit with the universal shellholder. I have enough empty APS strips to last a lifetime.

tstowater
06-18-2017, 04:23 PM
I have at least two of the round style and on or two of the newer square style. I like the round ones better. Used one since the late 70's.

Used the square style on some 220 Swifts yesterday. I am glad that I did because a few of the primer pockets were getting a little loose. Just don't get that feel on the Dillon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rockzilla
06-19-2017, 03:47 PM
I have 8 to 12 but have given a couple few away. Regardless, I have a fleet and a bone-yard of parts. I got a bunch of replacement "tops" so I am good for 20 to 30 years. Great tool.

Got a bunch here also, been using them for "years" like others, one for SP other LP, there was 2 model numbers for the older ones, have both, they changed the "bone shaped" thing, got to look at the boxes.
Flea-bay has parts from time to time.

Wish I could find the powder hopper for a ole Ohaus Duo-measure or some one to 3D print one..
oh well..

-Rock

afish4570
06-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Like many, I have and regularly use 2 of them. I recently bought a 3rd just in case.
I agree that someone could do us all a favor by reproducing the couple popular parts.

The dogbone part that looks like a connecting rod usually wears out and cannot seat primer deep enough. A dab of auto chassis grease on all the old ones at the contact points will slow wear down. Also a shim made of a short thin strip of a soda or bear can placed on top of worn part make up for the wear and provide years of service.....grease this too.afish4570

km101
06-20-2017, 10:56 AM
I do. I still have 4 of them.

Using two (large & small primer) and two spares! They will last longer than I will. The oldest has seen steady use since the 80's and still works great. Wish the lawyers had not forced changes to a good product.

No Blue
06-20-2017, 10:16 PM
The dogbone part that looks like a connecting rod usually wears out and cannot seat primer deep enough. A dab of auto chassis grease on all the old ones at the contact points will slow wear down. Also a shim made of a short thin strip of a soda or bear can placed on top of worn part make up for the wear and provide years of service.....grease this too.afish4570

Spoken like a true Lee owner; figure out how to work around something yourself, instead of calling Arizona or Cali and wait a week for the part to show up....You cut your shim, install it and you're back in business in 2 minutes.

In exchange for the low, low, prices Lee charges, you need some decent level of mechanical ability. It's a trade off lots of us willingly make.

I still laugh at a green customer that dropped his hand priming tool and the handle, link, and pin were no longer in intimate contact with the body. He couldn't figure out how to put it back together!!! So he posted on the forum asking how, and got about 5 other greenies that said he should send it back to Oroville!!! Could you ever imagine him making a shim and installing it????

No way.

Smoke4320
06-20-2017, 10:22 PM
I love using them over the newer ones with all the safety **** on them, I know its there for a reason but its just more stuff to cause problems. have 2 but one is out of commission until I can find the dog bone shaped piece that goes from the handle to the pushrod, somebody needs to cast a few of these and sell them.
Same here all I need is the dog bone to get one back in action. Mine actually broke

Ole Joe Clarke
06-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Just because they are old, like me, don't make them out of date. Good idea on the shim, I'll have to check mine out.

Have a blessed day,

Leon