PDA

View Full Version : I hope this works

Jack Stanley
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
I had a new military barrel installed on my 03 and it wants to foul a lot . I had tried the shoot a shot and clean routine but still it didn't want to smooth out . Tried some JB bore paste ... no dice . Shot it untill it was to hot to handle .... nope , it still fouled up .

The other day I was casting some bullets for another thirty cal project and some extra bullets . So , I thought I would do the "fire lap" thing . Lubed and sized to .311" and installed hornady gas checks . Got out a little dab of LBT bore paste and a craft stick and rolled the bullets into the paste and wiped the excess off . They were then loaded into a primed 06 case with nine point two grains of Universal clays and again the bullet area was wiped clean .
This time for firing , I'd shoot two and wipe the bore with a patch wet with number nine then dry it out and shoot two more untill ten rounds were used .

I haven't tried shooting surplus ammo in it again so I don't know if it helped or not . What I think I noticed was before when I was pushing a wet patch through . It was a bit easier to push just before the muzzle . Now it seems like it's closer to the muzzle before it gets easy to push and the fouling from the lapping bullets was rather easy to push through .

Here's hoping it works .

Jack

brucev
08-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I will follow your results with interest as I have a nice 1918 SA-03 that has a nice Sedley (sp?) barrel that is lightly frosted toward the muzzle. Possibly my rifle would benefit from such therapy! Sincerely. Bruce.

Jack Stanley
08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Well , I tried it again and this ain't working . It still fouls as bad as it ever did , looks like I wasted my money putting on a new barrel . It does look nice and gage good though [smilie=1:

Jack