PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Recommend for Coyote?

Silver Jack Hammer
06-14-2017, 01:29 AM
Just got in from walking the dog, came within 10 feet of a coyote. I live in town but our rabbit population has blossomed as predictably the coyotes have too. I had a Colt's .22 Peacemaker and was just thinking that the quite CCI ammo isnt really enough for a coyote. I've got some CCI standard velocity and some Federal high velocity, both 40 gr. lead boolits. I'm thinking I've got to buy some ammo. And recommendations?

jcren
06-14-2017, 08:07 AM
If keeping the volume down is a concern, try aguilla (sp) sub sonic sniper. Basically an extra long 60 grain bullet on a 22 short brass. Some guns don't shoot them well due to the long bullet, but if yours does, it is an impressive thumper. If noise is a non issue, Remington yellow jacket (hp) or viper (solid) are remarkably brutal and I get better accuracy than the Cci mini-mag.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Noise isn't as big a concern with coyotes, even my liberal neighbohood is on the side of the dog owner when it comes to coyotes. I had the quiet ammo loaded earlier for raccoon. I need a coyote boolit.

w5pv
06-14-2017, 10:05 AM
I use 22CCi mini mag shorts

country gent
06-14-2017, 10:53 AM
If your colt has the second cylinder in 22 mag that may be a better choice for coyotes with the 45-50 grn bullets. Otherwise try velocitors or others with 40-43 grn bullets and standard velocity. I don't believe I would trust most of the hollow points for this size game either as penetration may be lacking. WIth what your wanting accuracy is going to be paramount over the rest though.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-14-2017, 11:31 AM
My Colt's didn't come with the magnum cylinder, I bought it used. My first Colt's .22 Peacemaker which I purchased new in 1974 did come with the magnum cylinder however it would not fire reliably. One firing pin strike position on a rim fire with two different sized diameter rims is the recipe for problems.

lylejb
06-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Agree that the cci quiet isn't enough. I would suggest the standard velocity. If short range is going to be the norm, I don't think you would notice much difference in effect compared to high vel, just A bit less noise.

Minerat
06-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Salt and catsup lots of catsup.:mrgreen:
(sorry I couldn't resist)

I'd go bigger 357 w/ 158 gr hp, especially if you are threatened, other wise probably a velocitor. I've seen them killed with a 22 mag too.

CIC
06-20-2017, 04:27 AM
I used to hunt coyotes with a 17 HMR. I was surprised at how effective it was. Now I do not know how that translates to a 22 from a handgun but I guess my point is that even with that tiny bullet they dropped easily. For those instances that I ran into a coyote and was not hunting them , stomping my foot and saying "get outa' here" worked.

sniper
06-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Velocitor...heavier boolit, higher velocity...what's not to like? Should do well from your revolver, especially if shorter range is included in the mix. and if Magnum isn't an option!

GhostHawk
06-20-2017, 09:23 PM
A I don't think most true Coyotes would attack a healthy adult. But If they were defending a den I would suggest backing away, slowly.

B If your going to carry because you are concerned, screw the noise.
CCI Mini Mags, .22 mag is better yet. Loud as heck, cracks like God's own thunderbolt. But it will do the job.

C There are hybrids in some area's that do not follow the rules. They will attack if they are in the mood. If this apply's to you I would say 15 round 9mm semi auto would be a better choice. And even more so forget about the noise.

If you have to shoot one, you pay your fine and count it cheaper than a long hospital stay and recovery/rehab.

Them critters are smart, If they are legal in your location a nice .22 air rifle may be a better choice. They know what rifles are, and what they do.

Ozark Howler
07-03-2017, 12:55 AM
Hot Dog in one hand and a baseball bat in the other......works every time, and no noise except for a low thump

Minerat
07-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Hot Dog in one hand and a baseball bat in the other......works every time, and no noise except for a low thump

Not sure I want a yote that close to me, but it would be sporting... sporting a missing hand, or sporting bite marks to the elbow :roll:

M-Tecs
07-03-2017, 10:31 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/coyotes-kill-toronto-singer-in-cape-breton-1.779304

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/canada.singer.killed/index.html

LUCKYDAWG13
07-03-2017, 10:51 PM
I use 22CCi mini mag shorts

This I had in issues with some Raccoons :mrgreen:

Texas by God
07-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Mini Mag hollow point. Aim for the front half and keep shooting if the background is clear. If the police come, you won't appear that menacing with that .22 SA as you would with a wonder nine!

Blanket
07-05-2017, 03:54 PM
bear spray

Geezer in NH
07-09-2017, 05:51 PM
.22 with a can.

Edward
07-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Forget 22 for me as I do not have room as my Kimber 45 takes up most room on my belt every day all day ,and adding a small caliber would just confuse me :bigsmyl2:

Art in Colorado
07-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Aquilla Super Maximum solids. Close to 22 Mag.

Grmps
07-12-2017, 09:29 PM
I know this is a gun forum but a crossbow is wicked effective and super quiet. I'd have a 9mm (or bigger) as a backup

Multigunner
07-13-2017, 05:13 PM
The CCI Stinger is a light weight bullet but it reaches its max velocity in barrels under 16" in length. Not sure of velocity in pistol barrels but it seems to be higher than you'd get from other .22 LR rounds. The bullet expands very rapidly.

On an animal the size of a Coyote I'd only go for a brain pan shot. Study the structure of the animal's skull before planning on using a .22 revolver. A Pit bull in a city near here shrugged off a .38 slug in the head that from appearances should have entered the brain but probably did not due to the shape of the skull. Black bear have similar odd skull shapes, more like that of a dog than like that of other bear, a bullet through the eye socket of a Blackie can miss the brain completely.

Jeff Michel
07-14-2017, 05:34 AM
If you poke one in the chest at ten feet with any .22 bullet, they will leave. I've encountered several at handshake distance and none of them wasted anytime leaving the vicinity. A coyote isn't one to go around attacking people but they will eat your dog or cat if that concerns you. If you just want something to carry while your walking your dog your .22 is plenty. If your intention is to hunt them, might leave your Colt at the house and bring something a bit more hefty. Just another opinion.

GDLT31
07-15-2017, 02:52 AM
I live out in the country and the coyotes have grown in numbers. When I walk my dog almost every evening.I carry a Ruger single-six and it holds 6 CCI.22 magnums.I know yours only holds.22lr I would use no less than CCI Stingers.

kycrawler
07-15-2017, 01:46 PM
10 feet ? Any 22 ammo. Shoot them in the head or boiler room. And they are yoast

Char-Gar
07-20-2017, 09:42 AM
I have shot coyotes with a 22 LR HP, a 300 Weatherby Mag and about a dozen calibers in between. All have done their job and produced dead coyotes.

comprschrg
10-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Don't even try for a head shot only. Very easy to miss. Been there and missed.
Things are happening very fast. Get the most powerful 22lr. you can find.
Just my 2 cents.

sigep1764
10-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Either 36 grain MiniMag Hollowpoints or Winchester 42 grain Maxx Hollowpoints. Either whacks pretty hard and expand well in my experience. I would test them over a chronograph and for accuracy out of your Peacemaker. Those should be the determining factors, speed and accuracy.