PDA

View Full Version : Dang It !

Boaz
06-13-2017, 08:34 PM
Came home and my neighbor had a bag of homegrown tomatoes hanging on my door ! First ones this year so I know what supper is . All I need is the salt shaker !

Hickory
06-13-2017, 08:44 PM
All I need is the salt shaker !

Nope, you need to fry up some bacon, toast some bread and combine with mayonnaise and lettuce.

Boaz
06-13-2017, 08:50 PM
That suggestion has much merit but I got no bacon ...but I do have tomatoes ! My neighbor is a good and generous man with many tomatoes coming off . Tomorrow I will invest in a couple pounds of bacon . Heavy on the mayo .

frankenfab
06-13-2017, 08:54 PM
I picked my first one today.

MaryB
06-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Toast, mayo, tomato, lettuce, salt works too!

frankenfab
06-13-2017, 09:59 PM
When they really start rolling in, I just eat plates of cut up tomatoes with salt, pepper, and mayo.

country gent
06-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Cut them thick slices and run thru the smoker then to your sandwich. I used to smoke them low and slow for my wifes BLTS she really liked the added flavor.

pworley1
06-13-2017, 11:00 PM
We eat them by themselves with salt. also on loaf bread, but we use miracle whip instead of mayo.

square butte
06-14-2017, 07:34 AM
I am envious - We won't have fresh tomatoes until July here in VT - But we do have bacon

GhostHawk
06-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Grew up eating them sliced thick just the way the Lord made them on toast.

Not a BLT, just a T.

We won't see slicers up here till harvest time, late July.

Boaz
06-14-2017, 07:38 AM
square butte I have been waiting for the tomatoes to start ...I look forward to it every year. Only lasts a little while but I take full advantage of it .

Bulldogger
06-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Grew up eating them sliced thick just the way the Lord made them on toast.

Not a BLT, just a T.

We won't see slicers up here till harvest time, late July.

That's my summer workweek lunch until harvest slows. Love it. I have some whoppers, but all still very green. About to pick them anyway and fry them up, hard to be patient.

BDGR

gwpercle
06-14-2017, 03:53 PM
I had three small Roma's get ripe.....but more is coming !
I need to get off my lazy behind and fertilize them about now.
The Brandywine tomatoes I planted are the good tasting ones .
BLT's with cheese and Blue Plate Mayo on white bread , toasted or untoasted...OH YEAH !

square butte
06-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Yep - We have Brandywine and Roma's planted here - Brandywine is what we have liked best over the decades

MaryB
06-14-2017, 09:46 PM
Not sure what I have planted, after frost took mine out my neighbor donated 30 plants(she had 300 started), she even planted them for me. Some of mine have survived but they look sickly still.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Salt on home grown tomatoes? that's heresy.
I think some people need to pray for forgiveness.

firewalkerd1
06-14-2017, 11:09 PM
Try just Plain lite bread slices of tomato and slices sweet onion with a little mayo.Works wonders.

gwpercle
06-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Yep - We have Brandywine and Roma's planted here - Brandywine is what we have liked best over the decades
For taste Brandywine are hard to beat. If there are better tasting, I haven't discovered it yet . I grow the Roma for canning/freezing and cooking!
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-15-2017, 02:06 PM
For taste Brandywine are hard to beat. If there are better tasting, I haven't discovered it yet . I grow the Roma for canning/freezing and cooking!
Gary

Yes, Brandywine are real good, but I got some seed for a heirloom called Black Brandywine (the fruit looks and cracks just like Cherokee purple) and has a richer, more robust flavor, then Brandywine. But, The Campfire is even tastier, a bit sweeter than most, as yellow tomatoes typically are, which balances the acidic flavor...it's a tomato that cries out to be eaten fresh with nothing else, more than any other.
Of course these are my opinions [smilie=p:

some photos of the tomatoes I mention.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?175391-Castboolit-Gardeners-!!!-any-interest-in-a-seed-exchange&highlight=

CIC
06-15-2017, 02:43 PM
So no one here mentioned the only real way to enjoy fresh tomatoes and that is with cottage cheese. YUM!

dave roelle
06-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Stewed maters and okra, a little garlic and oregano, when ya get overwhelmed with fresh off the vine :) always make a pot when i'm canning

MaryB
06-15-2017, 11:55 PM
Salt is a must on tomato slices! Boosts the flavor!

Blackwater
06-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Ahhhhh! To - Ma - Toes!!!! One of God's supreme gifts to man! They even wrote a song about them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWwyhCVBDg

And wonder of wonders, I found some large green ones at the local produce stand last week! Fried 'em up pronto! I think tomatoes and corn shucks would be great! Love them 'maters!!! Raw, cooked, or whatever!

sparky45
06-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Jet star and Better Boy's; cubed in bit size chunks with fresh sliced cukes and onion rings in a "sauce" of Apple Vinegar, salt, pepper and a dash of water. Cool in the fridge and eat as a side or just make a meal with them. Or, BLT's, or, tomato with cottage cheeze, or tomato slices with salt and pepper. LOVE tomato's.