PDA

View Full Version : Remove GC ring when PC'ing?

sawinredneck
06-13-2017, 12:53 PM
I have a Lee, I think (bad day, sorry) C309-180r mold and am powder coating these. I've had a guy tell me I need to cut out the gas check ring. I've also gotten hints here that I might need to do this.
Why? This may seem like a really dumb question but I don't understand it. In my mind, the PC is hard enough that the powder isn't going to burn though it, so the final driving band should keep any flame cutting down? Please educate me!

NoAngel
06-13-2017, 12:57 PM
The guy told you wrong. Powder coat them and shoot the snot out of them. If the fit is right and the speed matched to the alloy, you will have no problems. Removing the gas check would limit you to plain base shooting only. Why do that? What if you wanted to push them even harder one day? Powder coat is great, I love it but it will fail if you shove too hard. Found that out the hard way. A gas check will help you get past that hurdle along with better alloys.

Always do your research and verify with your own [safe] experimentation. Too many armchair experts out there.

tzzler44
06-13-2017, 05:43 PM
I still GC my powdercoated bullets if there is a GC shank. Don't go cutting up a perfectly good mold. In my experience shooting a bullet with a GC shank without a GC in place results in sub-par accuracy

williamwaco
06-13-2017, 06:06 PM
I have done it both ways. I have removed gas check rings and bevel bases. I found that it does no harm to the bullet. BUT I never exceed 1100 to 1200 fps.

I do agree that shooting gas check bullets without the check will increase group size by about 30%.

If you choose to modify the mold, there are several posts on how to do it.

In the final analysis. It is up to you. You can do it either way. But. After you remove the gas check seat, you can't put it back.

bigboredad
06-17-2017, 05:13 PM
I would shoot it first before removing it I have a good luck shooting without removing the the shank with some and others wouldn't even hit the paper at 25 yds.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

bangerjim
06-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Coat 'em and shoot 'em. The GC area at the back does not hurt anything. I PC GC boolits all the time with and WITHOUT the GC on them. Unless you are one of those 0.05MOA guys (!!), don't worry about it!!!!!!

No problem.

Banger