PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Kharkov, Ukraine

flyer1
06-13-2017, 07:40 AM
I am in Kharkov, Ukraine for a visit. Are there any sites some one would like a picture of or something small that i could bring back for some one?

Mike

Hickok
06-13-2017, 07:43 AM
Some pics of the local people would be nice!

Mike has a great trip and be safe!

historicfirearms
06-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Go to the airport and see if there are any Yak 52s still stored there. It would be cool to see some of the different aircraft there.

RU shooter
06-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Never been to Kharkov but if you make it over to Kiev the WW2 museum is a really interesting place to see .

flyer1
06-13-2017, 03:29 PM
I will see about getting some pictures of the local folks. I will see about the Yaks and the WWII museum my be on the list. If I can, I will look for a gun shop.

Mike

DougGuy
06-13-2017, 03:57 PM
A cookbook for local/traditional Ukraine dishes would be great! Something you wouldn't find in a touristy shop at the airport or not likely to find on ebay.

shaper
06-13-2017, 06:17 PM
forget the pictures, bring me a Yak.

flyer1
06-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Doug Guy let me see what I can find.

bayjoe
06-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Man that sounds like a really cool trip.
Would be nice if you would share pictures

woodbutcher
06-13-2017, 09:13 PM
[smilie=1:Hi Shaper.Would that be the four footed kind,or the flyable kind?And flyer1.Keep your head down and watch your six.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

308Jeff
06-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Take pics of anything and everything! Have always wanted to see that part of the world.

flyer1
06-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Doug guy, do read russian or ukrainian ? Or must the book be in english? I have some pictures but they are on my phone. Not sure how to move them to my tablet. Will work on it.

Mike

jonp
06-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Mike, id love to get those pics of recipes. I will use a translator for whatever language they are in. One of the things I used to do when traveling was buy a cookbook of local stuff and try local beer

.455 Webley
06-16-2017, 05:39 AM
If you can find an old wrecked Kübelwagen and ship it to me in large flat rate boxes i would appreciate it. Have fun and be safe.

flyer1
06-16-2017, 05:47 AM
If you can find an old wrecked Kübelwagen and ship it to me in large flat rate boxes i would appreciate it. Have fun and be safe.

The Soviets kicked the Germans out of Ukraine in 1944. The museums would not be happy if i took one.

RU shooter
06-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Probably not on your agenda and not sure if you could even visit Crimea since it's now annexed by Russia but the little towns that are right on the Black Sea are really nice . I took the train from Kiev to Crimea and stayed a few days in Yalta had a great time great food except for the one lone Mexican place! and great weather ! And if you go to the "beach" don't expect sand ! Lol , more like gravel and fist sized river rock!

Ballistics in Scotland
06-16-2017, 07:41 AM
I have a very interesting book by a Colonel Ilya Starinov, which is unfortunately several miles away right now. So I quote from very old memories.

He was a Russian special operations and sabotage expert, who organised a stay-behind partisan movement in case of invasion of Russia. He had a very narrow escape when Stalin found out, for of course nobody could possibly invade Russia. He was saved by, if I remember rightly, Marshal Tuchachevsky (shortly before his own death in the purges) who sent him to relative safety in the Spanish Civil War. He later organised guerrilla forces in Russia, including some doubtless frozen Spaniards who couldn't go home.

Khruschev commanded in the Ukraine, and Starinov suggested to him (as you couldn't to everybody in those days) that when the city fell, his house was an obvious candidate to be the German headquarters. So he proposed a very large radio-detonated mine under the house. Soon afterwards Khruschev asked him why he hadn't done so, and Starinov pointed out that there was always some danger with such devices. Some say Khruschev suffered a concealed nervous breakdown in the Ukraine, as many another would in the circumstances, but it wasn't then. He told Starinov there wouldn't be time when he planned to leave, and he wasn't looking for a safe war, so he should go ahead. The result was a very large mine buried deep under the coal cellar, and a smaller one with a spent battery under the coal, to keep the Germans happy if they searched.

Soon after the German takeover they waited for what seemed like a likely time for a staff meeting, and pressed the button. On retaking Kharkov they found the building was a water-filled crater. I have never found any evidence that they got the commanding general, as I think Starinov believed. But they certainly achieved something worthwhile. Starinov beat the odds by living to the age of 100.

I'm pretty sure the site will have been built over, as most of Kharkov has. But there may be a memorial of some kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Starinov

DougGuy
06-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Doug guy, do read russian or ukrainian ? Or must the book be in english? I have some pictures but they are on my phone. Not sure how to move them to my tablet. Will work on it.

Mike

I could probably scan the pages and post them somewhere and ask for translation, or do it line by line in google translate. Anything you come across that is authentic will be much appreciated!

Ballistics in Scotland
06-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Probably not on your agenda and not sure if you could even visit Crimea since it's now annexed by Russia but the little towns that are right on the Black Sea are really nice . I took the train from Kiev to Crimea and stayed a few days in Yalta had a great time great food except for the one lone Mexican place! and great weather ! And if you go to the "beach" don't expect sand ! Lol , more like gravel and fist sized river rock!

Someday I would like to visit the North Valley at Balaclava, where the Light Brigade charged. It was an incident much misrepresented by history. They took a battery from the front in a mile-long charge, the Russian cavalry wouldn't face them, and 60% of the men answered rollcall next day without even reporting sick.

It should be considered the same marvellous feat of arms as it would if it had won the battle. The Russians still claim it as a victory, but they did it to take Balaclava, and that possibility had already been ended in some ten minutes by the Thin Red Line and the Heavy Brigade, with about twenty fatalities. The Light Brigade achieved nothing, and the Russians could have suffered disaster if the Light Brigade had supported the Heavy, or the Heavy the Light.

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:05 PM
The wife and I went to Ribachi for our honeymoon for a week. That was almost 10 years ago. We also went to Yalta. We were in the room where the accord was signed. Now, a visa is required. I have been told it is not as safe now as when I was there last. The beaches... gravel that hurt my feet. The sights on the beach were simply amazing. Some day I would like to visit again.

Mike

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:10 PM
My wife and I are looking for an authentic Ukrainian cook book. It will be most likely in Ukrainian.

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:42 PM

A chuch outside of my apartment

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:46 PM

A street seane with the metro entrance.

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:50 PM

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:51 PM

A monument in the square.

RU shooter
06-16-2017, 01:55 PM
The wife and I went to Ribachi for our honeymoon for a week. That was almost 10 years ago. We also went to Yalta. We were in the room where the accord was signed. Now, a visa is required. I have been told it is not as safe now as when I was there last. The beaches... gravel that hurt my feet. The sights on the beach were simply amazing. Some day I would like to visit again.

Mike

Yeah lavatia palace was a real neat place I was there in 04 , did you go up to the tourist trap they call the swallows nest ( the miniature castle) on the clif ?

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Every day life.197819

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:57 PM

A guy painting a lamp pole

flyer1
06-16-2017, 01:58 PM

A music hall

flyer1
06-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Ukrainian orthodox church.

flyer1
06-16-2017, 02:30 PM
These are just a couple of pictures as the sun was setting about 2030.
We were in Yalta in 2009. Went near sparrows nest but not in. Saw the dolphin show today.

Some observations:
Most doors open out not in.
You must lift your feet when you walk or you will trip. Most side walks are not very level.
Most buildings you walk up and down the stairs. No elevator.
The steps are different heights. Some slope forward and and some slope back.
At least half the people smoke. A pack of cigarettes is about a dollar.
Many young folks speak english.
There is no personel space.
A good size apartment is about 400 square feet. Kitchen, tolet room, bathing room, a living room that doubles as a bedroom and maybe a separate bedroom.
Portions of food are smaller. No "big gulp" drinks. No ice in drinks unless you ask. Then they think your nuts.
Children should only have room temperature drinks. Cold drinks are bad for your health.
Vodka is also medicinal when black pepper is added.
Sunrise is about 0430.
When listening to people speak, you think they are argueing but, it is really a normal tone.
If you say HI to someone walking down the street, they look away and think you are a crazy person.
Taxes are in the price shown not added.
Tips are included in the price at the restaurants
Men walk around with man purses.
Kids are kids all over the world. If there is a mud puddle they will find it.
Many Soviet markings are still on the buildings.
The women do not dress to the nines nearly as much now.
Fewer high heels, mostly flats.
The women are still very beautiful.
The doors to the apartments are like bank vault doors.
Clothes washers take 2 plus hours for a load and located in either the kitchen or bathroom.
No clothes dryers. You hang your wet clothes up in the apartment.
Interior doors real solid wood.
Buildings are concrete and concrete block. The walls are 18 inches thick. Interior walls are thinner poured concrete. Plumbing runs outside the walls and under the tubs. The tubs are a big step up to get in them.
Very few showers (called duche). Tubs have a hand held spray nozzles.
Do not wash your hands in the kitchen sink.
Only one bathroom and one toilet.

flyer1
06-16-2017, 02:34 PM

flyer1
06-16-2017, 02:36 PM
The wheel chair ramp into the metro. Dont let go! It is the 2 flat parts of the steps right of the guy at the top.

flyer1
06-16-2017, 03:05 PM
toilet discharge is different in the USA.

flyer1
06-18-2017, 02:23 AM
Ok folks, I need some help. I am posting pictures and saving. They show up for a short time then change to attachment that when clicked on says invalid. What am I doing wrong.

Hickok
06-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Flyer, as of this morning, the pics have straightened out and are fine on my computer. I am enjoying them, thanks for posting.

I had to grin when reading about people turning away when you said hello. We get a lot of tourist types in my area of WV, and they react the same way. A "How ya' doing" or hello or a howdy" and they just ignore you.

Most folks who visit from states below the Mason Dixon will give you a howdy back and talk with you for awhile. We call that "neighboring!"

flyer1
06-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Thanks Hickok. I will try for some more pics in the next day or so.

jonp
06-18-2017, 05:39 PM
nothing is wrong on my end. I'm finding the pictures great! ? When traveling abroad I also take pictures of things like odd toilets and stuff. It lets people know how different things are outside of the USA.

Keep posting these pictures and I'm all in on the pepper vodka. I tried some a few years ago and really liked it with tonic water although i don't drink much hard liquer.

flyer1
06-19-2017, 03:13 AM
nothing is wrong on my end. I'm finding the pictures great! ? When traveling abroad I also take pictures of things like odd toilets and stuff. It lets people know how different things are outside of the USA.

Keep posting these pictures and I'm all in on the pepper vodka. I tried some a few years ago and really liked it with tonic water although i don't drink much hard liquer.

I am not much of a drinker but, I like the pepper vodka straight and right out of the freezer. To me it is best ice cold with black bread on the side.

clum553946
06-19-2017, 04:38 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to share pictures! It's really interesting to see how other cultures live their day to day lives, how different the cultures can be from ours, & how strikingly beautiful other countries are!

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Bucket truck

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:22 PM
McDonalds outside

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
McDonalds inside. Tastes about the same. You must ask for alot of ice in your coke otherwise it comes with no ice. You ask for ice you get one cube.

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:28 PM

Statue of love. The locals call it the Chernobyl children.

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:30 PM

Statue at my wifes university showing its Engineering being established and the date. I think 1890.

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Math college.

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:33 PM

Math building

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:34 PM

Inside math building

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Inside and outside Buisiness college

Plate plinker
06-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Post 42 must be your wife?

Thanks for sharing your vacation.
Looks like a great visit.

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Campus

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Electrial engineering. Some of the equipment was taken from Dresden, Germany in 1945 by the soviet army. Testing was done here for Boeing and Airbus aircraft manufactures on lightning strikes to the composit fuselages.

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:52 PM

More inside electrical engineering building

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:55 PM

Street views

flyer1
06-19-2017, 04:57 PM
More street views197952

flyer1
06-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Post 42 must be your wife?

Thanks for sharing your vacation.
Looks like a great visit.

No just a woman on the street. My wife is in post 45 with my daughter.

Mike

flyer1
06-19-2017, 05:16 PM
If any one is able to rotate the side ways pictures, have at it. I have no clue how.

flyer1
06-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Tiny shops in the metro entrance. They sell everything from pastries to batteries to coke, flowers. The shops are about 3 feet deep and maybe 6 feet long.

flyer1
06-20-2017, 02:31 PM

The back side of the apartment buildings. Do not let the outside fool you. The insides are very beautiful.

flyer1
06-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Outside a military museum.

woodbutcher
06-20-2017, 04:27 PM
:) Hi flyer1.Nice pictures.Is that a T37.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Shingle
06-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Be careful of what you photograph in certain places there they have no sense of humor. During the summer there are amazing females in various states of dress out and about.

Hickok
06-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Mike the pictures are cool. You have a great looking family. Thanks for taking the effort and time posting.

Blackwater
06-20-2017, 05:38 PM
If you can, I'd like to see the churches there, both the plain and the older, more grandly styled ones. I have a friend who recently converted to Russian Orthodox, and is quite happy with it. One thing's for sure - THOSE Christians have been challenged supremely for a long time over there! But Putin, as I understand it, is condoning the re-emergence of the church in Russia. I've never been much of a traveller. More of a home body, unless necessity made me travel. But what I've done of it has been very fascinating, and no matter where you find them, people are just people. Languages and prior learning and customs may separate us, but people are, and likely always will be, just people, no matter where you find them. Thanks for the pics, and your kind offer.

flyer1
06-21-2017, 01:00 AM
I think the tank is a T34 from WW2, but I dont know my tanks.
Thanks for the warning about taking pictures. So far no problems other than some strange looks. I wanted to take pictures of the inside of the metro but was told I would end up in jail. Some are 300 feet deep,very beautiful stations. They double as a fall out shelter. Im told there are supplies for the people in them.
I will try to take some pictures of the churches. One I have labelled as Ukrainian Orthodox is actually Russian Orthodox. It is not the safest place as the Russian Orthodox church is providing support for the Russian troops fighting in Ukraine.
The women here are beautiful and dress very nice wearing makeup. This time I see less of that than before and I see many heavier women than before. My wife is upset women are smoking out in public. She says if they must smoke, it should be in private but it is ok for the men to smoke in public. Feminism has not quite reached my wife. The women in 4 and 6 inch heals are advertizing for a husband. Seems many women are dressing more comfortably. My mother in law says they look homeless. They still dress better than most women in the states.

Most people want to be left to raise their family, work and have enough left to enjoy some fun. Seems that it is the governments that cause the biggest problems not the common folks.

Mike

flyer1
06-25-2017, 02:36 AM
The family and I are having a good time. We have taken some pictures but they are on my phone and I can not upload them. BW I have a couple of church pfutures for you. I will upload when I setback. We have found a couple of cookbooks. My wife will decide which we will buy. I will mail the cookbook when I return. Please, pm me your address. The book is in Ukrainian.

flyer1
06-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Hi Folks,
Still in Ukraine for a couple of more days. I will post more pics when I get back. Took the train to Kiev today. Arrived early enough to see some sights downtown. We found out from our driver that an explosion occured yesterday downtown where we were planning to tour that killed a Ukrainian general. That area is now off limits. We may just rest today. Travel here is not quite as simple as in the US. It is the little things that you notice ie. if there is an elevator in the terminal, it is the size of a phone booth. No room for you and bags. No ramps to pull your bags up the steps you must carry them up and down the steps. And you are constantly travelling steps. There is no thing as personel space any where. The people are much better about lining up but it is still difficult for this American to cope. As my wife says, it is very easy to get comfortable with the many good things in America. Things we just take for granted. The other day my wife was stopped because she stuck out as a foreigner in her own country. The coversation went something like this: Papers please. Her, something wrong? Your not from here, papers! Her, I grew up here, went to university here, why are you bothering me. Him, there was a bombing near here yesterday and we are checking all foreigners. Her, I am speaking to you in Ukrainian what more do you want? Him, you don' t live here any more! Where do you live. Her, America, Texas. Him, You married a cowboy ? Ok. Be on your way. She left. She did not have here papers with her at that moment(not good). She came to me and said I am truely an American now! She was very happy.

Something i noticed. I have not seen the Harrychristnas in the USA in many years. Well, I found them. They are roaming the metro entrances wanting money and recruiting. Same pain in the butt as they were in the US. Same clothes (unwashed) as in the US. I thought that cult was over and done with.

Mike

Plate plinker
06-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Happy for your now Americanized wife. She apparently understands the world very well.

reddog81
06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Thanks for sharing. Be safe.