PDA

View Full Version : First Two Casting Sessions

Landy88
06-13-2017, 03:03 AM
I finally got a chance to do my first casting.

- 94/3/3 Alloy
- NavyVet1959 style drilled bottom pour ladle -- Actually a spoodle, straight handled ladle, in my case.
- Good old Coleman stove.
- Very heavy stainless commercial double-boiler top half.

Session 1

TL452-230TC

I got 125 good bullets, but remelted nearly as many. I tried to prep and cast with both molds, but two new molds and a new caster was going quickly downhill.

Session 2

358-200RF

This one went much better 188 good bullets and just 24 in the remelt can. These keepers look as good as any commercial cast that I've bought -- this site helps us climb a rather steep hill much more quickly than we might without it.

Camera and pic are bad but for what it's worth:

Oh, I was just Landy when I was here before; but I had to add the wheelbase inches to my username to re-register, after a computer and email server crash. An aging and ill Mom kept me too busy to be here or to begin casting as soon as I'd planned, but now I've more help with and for her.

Making raw lumps of metal into good bullets is a bigger and broader thing than some can grok, and without Cast Boolits it would be a lot harder to do. Thanks.

rancher1913
06-13-2017, 04:26 AM
looks like you have fallen down the rabbit hole, welcome aboard.

copdills
06-13-2017, 05:17 AM
he's hooked welcome to the silver stream

daloper
06-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the madness. Be prepared to do a lot of reading. Check out what others have done to make things easier. My first suggestion will be to get a hot plate and make a little mold oven like OS OK did to preheat your molds. This will help you get good bullets at the beginning of your casting. Second one being is if you decide to powder coat your bullets get your powder from Smoke here on the board. Don't bother with the Harbor Freight powder.

LenH
06-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Welcome aboard, and second to what daloper said.

robg
06-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Magic ain't it.it's all down hill now.��

Landy88
06-13-2017, 11:09 AM
daloper,

Good tips, and the board's S&S is a good source for more.

Except for some 50/50 solder to add, I got my lead from (t)here -- so clean, two fluxings and small scoops off the top and ready lead.

daloper
06-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Landy88
Where are you located? You might want to fill out your profile to include your lacation.

Landy88
06-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Landy88
Where are you located? You might want to fill out your profile to include your lacation.

Indefinitely, I'm in a too warm retirement climate, due to an ill parent; but I'll one day get North back home to a cooler clime.

Yes, I'm new enough back that I've filled nothing out in my profile. Rushed to acknowledge Cast Boolits help to my easier and more successful start than I might've had.