PDA

View Full Version : Guess who found a Doe Run artfact!

RogerDat
06-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Found a single square lead block with Doe Run cast into the top at the scrap yard, had to rescue it. Along with an ingot stamped Chrysler Scrap lead. That ingot I need to figure out what it is. My hope is that the "scrap" is body lead which has tin in it. If not it will make a nice paper weight or book end since it is a nice looking ingot.

melloairman
06-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Hope it works out in your favor .Marvin

Skooterr
06-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Does it look like the one I found a week or so ago.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/dmystix/20170605_141902_zpsdb5ejr0u_1.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/dmystix/media/20170605_141902_zpsdb5ejr0u_1.jpg.html)

lightman
06-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Thats cool! I would save it even if it does have a high tin content.

RogerDat
06-13-2017, 12:21 AM
The block on the upper right is like the one I found. I think it is section of a bar of connected ingots. Looks cut on both ends, and I have a few of those bars made up like a chocolate bar with little ingots.

Doubt the tin content would be all that high, body solder and radiator solder is only around 10% tin, maybe 15%. That is the problem with scrounging for lead, lot of cool stuff that is tough to melt down. Most pretty pewter no issue for me to make into a puddle lot of people collect it but some of the lead stuff feels like history that no one pays any attention to. I have some Bell System solder from when buried phone lines were inside lead tubes that had to be soldered together. Fairly high tin but also part of history.

You should check out the picture in the post on linotype that wouldn't melt. It was type with headline of D-Day invasion.

Toymaker
06-13-2017, 09:14 AM
My hometown is Ste Genevieve, MO which was founded by the French as a shipping port for lead. Through the years my grandfather, father and I found all sorts of lead bars and ingots in all sorts of places. When I'm gone and my kids clean out the shed they're going to find all kinds of interesting stuff and wonder "What the @#%& ????"