PDA

View Full Version : 45 AR Article in Handloader

only1asterisk
07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Brian Pearce has a great .45 Auto Rim piece in the August issue of Handloader. Lots of good cast loads with bullets up to and including the RCBS 45-270 SAA.

David

Dale53
07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I, too, have read that article. It is a good one. In fact, probably inspired by that, I bought a couple of hundred Auto Rim cases at a local dealer (for a king's ransom, relatively speaking[smilie=1:). I loaded up a box of fifty and shot them alongside my .45 ACP cases. The scores were identical (didn't expect any difference and didn't get any) but it was a bit more convenient to load without screwing with the full moon clips (I use RIMZ polymer clips at the range for their ease in loading).

I recently bought 1000 "first nighter" .45 ACP cases from a local friend for $50.00. New AR cases from Starline run about $151.00 per thousand. Each of us will have to decide whether or not that is a good idea. I kind of like the AR cases and may just buy a 1000.

One very practical use would be to save the "barn burner" heavy bullet loads for use in the revolver (that I would NEVER put through my 1911 platform) and load them in AR cases, only. That would insure that they wouldn't accidentally get in the 1911's.

FWIW
Dale53

Bass Ackward
07-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up.