PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Winchester 72 and 72A

richhodg66
06-11-2017, 05:53 PM
I have owned a Winchester 72A for several years and like it a lot. Mine was made late enough for tip off grooves so it's scoped. Had wanted a 69A, but a good one with the grooves never presented itself for a price I was willing to pay.

Saturday I was in a gun shop in a town about an hour away and a Winchester 72 was on the rack. Decent shape and for what I thought a pretty reasonable price. Except that it wasn't grooved and didn't have the nickel plated bolt handle and trigger guard, I couldn't see any difference between it and mine.

Are they the same rifle? If so, I think I'm going back to get it.

tazman
06-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I have a 72A that I have owned since 1962(I was 10 years old at the time). It doesn't look quite as pretty as it did originallly, but it still shoots minute of squirrel at 50 yards.
Mine has the grooves for a scope and wears one. An old Weaver 4x, 1 inch tube scope purchased about 1970. The bolt handle and trigger guard are blued.
This rifle doesn't have target accuracy but groups with pretty much any ammunition, well enough to consistently take squirrels and other small critters out to 50 yards with no problem.
I just took it out and checked the scope a couple of weeks ago. Dead on at 25 yards, right where I left it.

bubba.50
06-11-2017, 06:58 PM
in my limited experience with Winchesters, the main differences between a number model and a number model-A(such as 67 vs 67-A) is mostly cosmetic differences usually(to my eye at least) done to make manufacture of them a bit more economical.

richhodg66
06-11-2017, 07:26 PM
I have a Remington 511 that is a better shooter, pretty easily out groups the 72A, but I like the 72A better. Truth be told, almost any .22 rifle is as accurate as most of us can take advantage of under field conditions, so pick what you like. I like bolt actions better than autos, so I'm in good shape lately, seems no one wants to buy the good old bolt actions.

tazman
06-11-2017, 07:41 PM
I have a Remington 511 that is a better shooter, pretty easily out groups the 72A, but I like the 72A better. Truth be told, almost any .22 rifle is as accurate as most of us can take advantage of under field conditions, so pick what you like. I like bolt actions better than autos, so I'm in good shape lately, seems no one wants to buy the good old bolt actions.

I agree with that. The only semi-auto 22LR rifle I have ever owned that would shoot with my bolt actions was a Weatherby Mark XXII that was made in Japan. That one was great. Wish I still had it.

richhodg66
06-11-2017, 08:03 PM
This particular 72A sat on a pawn shop rack in another town for well over a year. I'd drop by to look every other month or so when I was through there and finally couldn't stand seeing it like that anymore and "rescued" it. The short bolt throw of them is neat, but does make scope mounting a bit problematic as there isn't a whole lot of adjustment space fore and aft.

pietro
06-11-2017, 08:31 PM
I have owned a Winchester 72A for several years and like it a lot.

Saturday I was in a gun shop in a town about an hour away and a Winchester 72 was on the rack.

Are they the same rifle ?

The main differences between the Model 72 & 72A is the 72 doesn't have a grooved receiver, or the 72A's swept-back bolt handle.

Other than that, some minor internal differences, & sights, they are the same rifle.