PDA

View Full Version : i have a stroke, heart attack,.......

tdoyka
06-11-2017, 04:44 PM
i am not sure if it needs to be to put on "our town" or another. i'm sorry if it does and please move it.

when i was 18yo and came back from basic and AIT( US Army ), i was 150lbs and 5'9" . when i went in to the army i was 5'9" and 190lbs. when i worked, i was at 165-170 lbs. now i go at least 220lbs. why do i weigh a220lbs, well i got a little bit older(44yo) and i had a stroke at the bright old age of 39yo. no one knows why, including doctors, i had a stroke. it could be(which i believe) i smoked before(about 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day) or something else.

the night of my stroke is sketchy at best. i may have/have not remember it, but i'll tell you just the same. i remember falling on the floor from my bedroom. i remember how long it took me to get myself back on the bed. then it goes blank. i got up and i fell down again. i decided to get my oldest boy up and take me to the hospital. i crawled out the bedroom and into the hallway. it must have been around 6am because my boy got up for school. he took one look at me and he called 911. at that point i passed out( seems like the words ). i regained conscious when the help arrived. i remember someone saying he(i) had a stroke and then i passed out again. then i sorta remember the hospital that i first went too. i remember another ambulance. i remember some kinda of machine and a doctor/surgeon working on my head. at the time, i had only a 15% chance that i would live. the surgeon told my dad that there is some experimental surgery to be done and he didn't give me much of a chance either. my dad signed off and the surgeon did an experimental surgery. i remember laying in another bed with the spongebob song on the tv. thats all i remember for the four days i was in intensive care.

i was then moved to another hospital that could do stroke therapies. the first week was sketchy(memory) too and the second week i could remember everything. at first i was "confined" :roll: to wheelchair but they had to teach me how to walk again. a nurse taught me how to move my arm. a staff woman showed me to speak again. i'll say this to my doctors, nurses and staff, thank you for everything!!!! the right arm is about 10% good, right leg is 40% good and my speech is only 20% good. the leg and arm i don't mind, but the speech, well i used to be a sarcastic sob that was fun. oh well, you live, you learn. i still do exercise my leg and arm and i still do my speech. i still take a walk (1/2 mile) when the weather is good. my right knee stretched all ligaments and tendons when i was 19 yo, so i take a pain pill(arthritis) once in awhile. i have a "plastic half cast" on my lower right leg and foot so in case i fall my knee and my foot goes the right way. i strap it on every morning and i take it off at nite. this will stay with me until i go bye-bye.

hunting has always been a part of me. now i can't wait for archery(crossbow) season to begin. to tell you the truth, i just like archery to see the deer. it has to be something special, like a rockin' chair rack, to shoot it. i don't even take a doe archery season. rifle season, i'll take a large doe or a little buck. i used to be able to use my arctic cat atv almost daily. but that went away, i got a polaris ranger utv instead. i used to be a one holer and only velocity matters on my rifles. it has to be under a 1" at 100 yards(5 shots) before i will even test it. now i'm happy if my deer rifles will go 3" at 100 yards(3 shots) using cast boolits. the best cast boolit group will do 1/2" at 100 yards(5 shots) in a tc encore and 23" MGM barrel with 275gr ranch dog/rel 7. the "worst" group is a 1898 spr armory(bubba got her) in 30-40 krag and it goes 1 1/4 - 1 3/4" at 100 yards(5 shots, i did a 3/4" only once tho). i am trying to get my ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel) to 50 yards, but i'm stuck at 30 yards. it goes 1 1/4 - 3" at 30 yards using a 220, 250 and 280gr(unique and titegroup). i didn't realize how hard it is to go to one-handed shooting. so i won't tell you about groups that i have did:killingpc[smilie=l:. i am going to use my 44mag no more than 6" at 50 yards(though i will be happy with a 4" group), that should take a deer down(8" for heart and lungs).

i have been a machine operator(excavator, skid steer, back hoe,...), pipelayer(water and sewer mains), cement finisher, truck driver, carpenter.... you name heavy construction, then i probably have done it. i have been doing construction 23+ years. now i'm retired(forced) and i do it some, but reloading and hunting takes most of my time.

thats about it, now its your turn. what do you have?

308Jeff
06-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Man, glad to have you here with us still!

I'm 47, and other than needing reading glasses since I was about 40, I've been pretty healthy. Until about a month ago.

It's nothing major, but it was enough to get me to the doctor. Symptoms are pain in my stomach area when I bend forward. Sometimes I feel it in my back, too. And the feeling of always being full. I can't eat or drink much of anything without feeling like I can't eat/drink any more. I've also noticed I feel somewhat fatigued most of the time.

I'm convinced I have a hiatal hernia, but the doc didn't really seem to think so. Told me it could be my pancreas. They did bloodwork, said I have a slightly elevated white cell count, and I should come back in a month if I'm not feeling better. It's been a month, so time to go back.

Hoping it's something simple.

SSGOldfart
06-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Todd Sri if you don't mind me asking what time frame where you in the Army??

tdoyka
06-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Todd Sri if you don't mind me asking what time frame where you in the Army??

'91-97. i was an army reserve, 458th engineers.

dbosman
06-11-2017, 06:44 PM
To 308Jeff. I'm not saying you're wrong, but pancreas issues and pancreatic enzyme issues can cause the symptoms you describe. My sister, a Physician's assistent, wife of a Physician) lived on Jelly Belly gum drops for months until her doctors finally tracked her problem to a pancreatic enzyme and treated that.

I've seen the opposite too. I had chest pains that took me to the ER. I kept asking if it could be a reaction to a recently increased dose of Lipitor. They did test after test and finally decided it was a pancreatic enzyme problem. In the mean time, I'd been off Lipitor for two days. Surprise, chest pains is one of the listed side effects of Lipitor.

Good luck on your diagnosis.

sparky45
06-11-2017, 06:50 PM

I'm 47, and other than needing reading glasses since I was about 40, I've been pretty healthy. Until about a month ago.

It's nothing major, but it was enough to get me to the doctor. Symptoms are pain in my stomach area when I bend forward. Sometimes I feel it in my back, too. And the feeling of always being full. I can't eat or drink much of anything without feeling like I can't eat/drink any more. I've also noticed I feel somewhat fatigued most of the time.

I'm convinced I have a hiatal hernia, but the doc didn't really seem to think so. Told me it could be my pancreas. They did bloodwork, said I have a slightly elevated white cell count, and I should come back in a month if I'm not feeling better. It's been a month, so time to go back.

Have you had your Gallbladder checked?

Parson
06-11-2017, 09:51 PM
I have no idea why some are so blessed and some so troubled. I will be 76 in July, still work full time (pastor) and take no medication. Only been in the hospital twice in my life and non life threatening. My wife is 5 years younger and has enough medical issues for both of us and then some. Recently went to a funeral, young rancher, clean living, no known health issues, yet died of natural causes, left behind a good wife and three children, only thing I can say is be ready and live every day as if it's your last, tell your family you love them, may they have nothing but good memories of you and nobody has any reason to say anything bad about you at your funeral

Hogtamer
06-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Statins are POISON to me. That's a long story really short.

GhostHawk
06-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Man we all have something. Some seem to be "golden" but we don't live in their head, walk in their shoes.

I was for all practical purposes born without a pituitary gland. A recent CT showed "a few cells".

So that is a long miserable sad story I would rather not tell. But it has a happy ending.
I was one of the first 3 patients in the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota to get Human Growth Hormone from cadavers. That is both many many good memorys, and much blocked pain and heartache. The mind plays funny tricks with us. Cause enough pain and over time those memory's fade till they are gone. I remember some things, mostly good things. I remember a few bad things. 2 weeks of them poking, prodding, measuring, implanting steel pins in the roof of your mouth with a 2 foot long tool and a hammer. So they could strap you into a device that had an x-ray machine in it that traveled completely around your head. Then they could overlay the x-rays on top of each other with those steel pins. And from there measure bone growth.

I was lucky, I was the middle aged one. I had 2 good parents, a full time mom, a dad that accepted no BS. Good nutrition, good home life and the luck of the Irish.

They shut me off at 5' tall. BTW I graduated high school at 4 feet 2 inches and about 4-5 inches taller than I would have been without the treatment.

Prom was not a whole lot of fun.

So there I was in my early 20's, 5' tall, and they sent me home with a script for male hormones. Yeah I had not gone through puberty yet. That is a special hell all its own.

When I went back for a checkup my Doctor took one look at me, grabbed me by the arm, hauled me into his office and started reading me the riot act. You see I had not quit growing. In that 6 months I went up to 5' 5". He was convinced I was buying black market growth hormone.

Finally just short of crying I blurted out. "Well you call my dad, he never lied to anyone in his life. I still live under his roof. If I'm cheating he will know. So you call, NOW. And quit yelling at me, I didn't do it.

He called.

Boy, talk about dropping a firecracker into an ants nest.

They had no clue why it worked. Why I still grew.
I'm 5' 8" or near enough, might be starting to shrink a little.

21 years ago I finally grew up enough inside and out that I was able to get married.
21 good years, I own my own house, no debt. I have my toys, I read a lot, mostly E-books.

I know this for a fact, the good lord has blessed my life. Again, and Again, and Again.

I remember the days when my mom and dad were not sure if I would live to graduate from school. I remember thinking If I can hunt and fish till my mid 30's, well that would be pretty dang good. It would be a life worth living.

I am 64.5 years old, turn 65 on Oct 3.

The Lord my GOD has every time I asked for what I "wanted" ignored my wants and given me what I "needed" and gave in abundance.

I have lived a long full life, with lots of joy, untold numbers of books read. Sunrises and sunsets seen. Fish caught, critters shot, and left unshot. Just for the joy of seeing them.

I walked up so close to a little doe deer once I almost touched her nose. It was at sunset. And I was just fooling around. I had the bow, drew it at least 5-6 times. But never released. When she started getting spooked, I would bend over like I was eating grass. When she fed, I would take a step, pause, step.

And then I heard the big buck I had been looking for snort 20 feet behind me.

Laugh. Man he scared the **** out of me. The bow fell out of my hand, the doe spooked and ran one way. The buck jumped up and faced me from 12-15 feet away, snorted, and was gone like a ghost.

As I laid there on that trail laughing so hard it hurt my ribs.

This is life. Find what pleases you. Do it. Help people. Live, love, leave this place better than you found it. This is what matters. Love God if you have it in you. Do this and none of the rest matters.

tdoyka
06-11-2017, 10:58 PM

i wish it something simple too

slumlord44
06-11-2017, 11:02 PM
I'm 72. About 12 weeks back I had a disected upper aorota. A week in Barnes waiting for surgery. A nother week there after surgery. I had been walking around with this for a couple of weeks and had hernia surgery between the time of my first symptem and when they figured out what I had. Recovering well now. 50% who have this don't make it to the ER. Of those who make it to the ER 50% don't survive the surgery. No one at Barnes could understand how I was still walking around. Gaurdian angel, weighed 215, physicaly active, quit smoking in the '60's, and luck. I asked doctor why this happened to me. Answer was in my case I had none of the things that caused it. I asked if there was anything I could have done to prevent it and the answer was no. I am thankful to be here and on my way to getting back to a prety much normal life with some limitations. Life is good.

tdoyka
06-11-2017, 11:02 PM
This is life. Find what pleases you. Do it. Help people. Live, love, leave this place better than you found it. This is what matters. Love God if you have it in you. Do this and none of the rest matters.

i can't say it better!!!

375supermag
06-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Hi...

As most on this board are getting on in years, it follows that health issues will multiply.

I have been through three different bouts with cancer and dealt with surgeries(some not so pleasant), chemotherapy and multiple courses of radiation therapy. Have had to deal with two strokes(snapped back with no lingering effects) and the long-term limitations of surgical intervention. I have been declared terminal twice and survived both of those cancers.
I am 62 years old and currently in remission from Burkitts-like lymphoma. Faith in God, trust in my doctor's, support of family and friends are key. I also am apparently kind of hard to kill(stubborn and hard-headed about that kind of thing)...I maintain a optimistic and cheerful attitude.

I don't know how many people have asked me if I ever wonder why all of this has happened to me...I always respond with "If not me...then who???"
I know I am strong enough psychologically to fight this war...My first cancer diagnosis was when I was 23 years old in 1977, then again in 2012(first terminal diagnosis) and then again last spring(second terminal diagnosis).
I haven't given up and do not intend to just roll over and play dead. Does it alter my plans and force me to adapt to limitations?...of course, but I continue do most everything I want to.

Point of all this is...you are not alone. We all have our crosses to bear.

OS OK
06-12-2017, 11:16 AM
I've rode this ole human hard and put him up wet many o night...it's been a good ride and my bucket list is empty...
Got ailments like the rest of ya but prefer not to elaborate and don't like to go there...I try to stay one mental jump ahead of the pain...

In the end all that matters is that you first find GOD for there are many gods to serve...learn to love Him, your neighbor and yourself, put others needs before yours and your pretty much home free, all the rest seems to fall in place.

Char-Gar
06-12-2017, 11:17 AM
None of us are going to get out of this life alive. We will all die from some kind of ailment. The length of time from onset to end will vary depending on our DNA, lifestyle and other issues. Some we can help and others we do not.

I see no practical purpose in listing and discussing our particular set of health issues. I would rather talk about how we live and love in the midst of trials. That is far more relevant and important.

jmort
06-12-2017, 11:34 AM
None of us are going to get out of this life alive. We will all die from some kind of ailment. The length of time from onset to end will vary depending on our DNA, lifestyle and other issues. Some we can help and others we do not.

I see no practical purpose in listing and discussing our particular set of health issues. I would rather talk about how we live and love in the midst of trials. That is far more relevant and important.

Why not start your own thread and discuss what you want???
Why be so rude???
This thread has been very productive for me
Great thread in my opinion

OS OK
06-12-2017, 12:05 PM
"Don't bite Char.."

RGrosz
06-12-2017, 12:40 PM
'Bout 20 years ago. had a heart attack and died. Was home with my step-son and tried to get him awake to gall 911. He finely got the call and they got me to help and I died on the table while they were trying to 'balloon' me. After they jump started me they lied to my wife, something she hates. When she found out she fired the doctor and got another one. it was a long road back. but can do about everything I could before, except run, but that was overrated anyway.
Got type 2 diabetes out of that and have been living with that since then too.
Them 5 or 6 years ago. had a stroke. Drove home from work and told my wife about it. Wouldn't let her call 911and went to bed. The next day wasn't feeling any better and went to the doctor. He asked a few questions and called the paramedics. That bought took several weeks in the hospital and PT. At least I'm still working at 65, almost 66. had a good life so far and plan to still have a longer one (if He lets me). Still enjoy hunting and fishing. Can't take the hear like I could years ago. Enjoyed my 23+ years in the USAR and the many varied jobs that I've had. Would pry do some thing different But except for the short time I died on the table had a good life and am still working.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Rob

MaryB
06-12-2017, 10:20 PM
37 years repairing electronics(consumer to industrial) and lots of heavy lifting. at 46 I had torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders and a trashed spine and was forced into retirement. After I retired the docs found more damage in my knees(torn ACL's in both), major arthritis in my spine, a tumor on the sciatic nerve in my left hip, and carpal tunnel in both wrists. 13 surgeries and counting and a lot of metal parts holding me together at this point 10 years later...

I still cast and target shoot, haven't deer hunted the last couple years mainly due to to many crazies with guns. Picked up a crossbow this winter so might try bow hunting this fall instead(far fewer people out and about). Still get out 4-8 fall weekends to squirrel hunt with friends. We have a spot we spread out along and sit and wait for the squirrels to start moving again.

I also BBQ cook, love cooking in general, work on my own house, brew beer, ham radio operator, garden in summer... I have less time retired than I had working!

sghart3578
06-12-2017, 10:38 PM
I am one of the lucky ones I guess. I am 58 yo and I have broken bones while getting bucked off of Harleys and horses. I still climb radio towers almost every day. The docs want to replace my left knee but right now I have too much work.

I say I am lucky. I think God put me here for a reason. My wonderful wife of 32 years, mother of my beautiful children and spoiler of our grandchildren was diagnosed a year and a half ago with stage 4 cancer. It became my life's work to care for her like she cared for me all those times i got bunged up.

Luckily her cancer is in remission but the side effects linger and she still needs my help.

So I quit drinkin' and smokin' cigars and now I exercise. I have lost a lot of weight and I feel much better. I want to stay around to care for her.

Steve in N CA

44deerslayer
06-13-2017, 01:51 AM
I'm 41 Iv had 7 back surgery and lost the top part of my head was brought back to life have spinal biffadita and going for wrist surgery in constant pain . but I still hunt fish cast load and shoot and gearhead I know what I can and can't do

rondog
06-13-2017, 05:16 AM
I've had my share of life's little b!tch slaps, but they seem pretty trivial now. At 61 I believe I don't really have anything worthy of complaining about, after reading this.....

sghart3578
06-13-2017, 08:41 AM
I've had my share of life's little b!tch slaps, but they seem pretty trivial now. At 61 I believe I don't really have anything worthy of complaining about, after reading this.....

And right there is the true worth of threads like these. It is very easy to get caught up in our own troubles. Our pain can blind us to suffering around us.

I was devastated when my wife became ill. But several visits to the infusion center for her chemo exposed me to people that are dealing with tremendous pain and loss.

Some of the stories I heard would make the toughest among us cry. It certainly changed my perspective and made me realize how petty and selfish I have been at times.

Steve in N CA

mold maker
06-13-2017, 12:24 PM
At 75, I haven't had surgery except for tonsils and teeth. A couple bouts with flu and diabetes are it. To say this in front of the suffering others have listed, makes me appreciate my good health, and feel deeply for others.
As life with a worn body is slowly winding down I accept that the end is past due.
God has blessed me.

tdoyka
06-13-2017, 02:53 PM
we may have cancer, heart attacks, diabetes, back problems, disabled, etc..... but dang it, we still try to do the thing/person that we love.

i used to luv my job. i would crawl into the ditch, be an operator/truck driver, pipelayer...i luved to do anything, except asphalt, from "pouring" it, shoveling it, luting it and rolling it, i hated it. my God, if i hated something/someone, asphalt would be it.:holysheep:killingpc anyway, when i had my stroke for the first year, i thought i'd be able to go to work. i would exercise the bleep out me. it helped but i was no condition to work. after a year i figured out what everybody else knew, i was disabled. i should have known better, the doctor told me that i was disabled and by exercise(body and mind) the first year, it would tell me how much i was disabled. i found how much i was disabled, 40% leg, 10% arm and 20% speech(% being good).

i still love to hunt. so i got a polaris utv. this will take me where i want to go. rifles and revolvers? i got them. reloading equipment, yep i've got them too. guys that want to reload but don't know how? i've got them too. my two sons who reload, are the best ever!!! i even got a friend's boy starting to reload and i gave him his first rifle. he's gotten a few deer from cast boolits. i'm sure he know about factory ammo, but he is a convert to cast boolits. i am happier now than i could've been.

we just have to find what we love. then we have to do it. be it cars, house projects, fishing(which i used to do, trout and smallmouth bass on the creek/river) and asphalt:killingpc.

RedJackson
06-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Once past 40, stress test every 2 years. Every year if you have family history.

woodbutcher
06-13-2017, 09:35 PM
:-(Not much wrong with me other than bi-lateral carpal tunnel surgery and a triple by pass in 2008.And arthers itius.Wishing the OP`s the very best and God bless you and yours.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo