PDA

View Full Version : Dillon SDB dies question 🔫

Walter Laich
06-11-2017, 12:56 PM
I bought my first SDB back when it was just a SD and cost $129.95

wondered if anyone was bothered about having to use Dillon's special SDB-dies in the machine?

I never found this to be a problem but then I started with the SD when I got into reloading as an adult

VHoward
06-11-2017, 01:01 PM
No. Not bothered. When I wanted to expand, I sold the Square Deal b and bought an XL650. I did try the caliber change once, but it was a pain. So I changed presses.

imashooter2
06-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I bought a low cost progressive that used proprietary dies. I knew that when I paid. Nothing to be bothered about.

jmorris
06-11-2017, 08:26 PM
I didn't know there was any difference in the dies on the SD & SDB.

The two I have are also the first generation before they had the low primer alarm, failsafe rod, 650 primer bucket and the gusset cast into the rear of the frame.

Never had any issues with any of the dies but all of my sets are at least 20 years old with the originals being over 30. There is a difference in the threaded adjusters though and I have both the old style that look like a bolt head and the new style where some are rounded and open at the top.

Oh, I think you might have been asking about the propriety dies or non 7/8-14 dies in general. I imagine some might shy away from the press because of that, I imagine more would frown on it being for only the pistol calibers they offer conversions in though.

Jack Stanley
06-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Not a problem , I use the press for one cartridge only and generally only one load .

Jack

Budzilla 19
06-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Both of mine are set up for one caliber apiece, but I just live with those die sets because of the job the press does!!! Doesn't bother me, I knew the deal when I got them! But, I also started with a RL 450!!! ( thanks ,dad) my .02 .

sawinredneck
06-11-2017, 09:04 PM
I don't own one, was always tempted but never dove in. I wish I'd have bought one back in the early '90's and maybe I wouldn't have tried so many different handguns! But back then it was cheap and you knew what you got as a given. Now days I don't think I'd want one because they are so dang small! I don't think I've got the coordination to get my fat fingers in it!

1_Ogre
06-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I have had a SDB for abt 7yr now. The dies are no problem. I cbought tool heads and conversions for about 8 different calibers. Now to chabge calibers, it takes me about 5min. All the tool heads are set up to my loading requirements, so it's 5min and I'm back in business

pjames32
06-13-2017, 12:47 AM
I have 2 SDB's. One set up for small primers, the other for large. If you have die plates the caliber change is 5-10 minutes. If I were to start over and was 30 years younger I'd have a 650, but I'm happy with my SDB setups. Most of my shooting is pistol.

Walter Laich
06-13-2017, 09:42 AM
I bought tool heads and conversions for about 8 different calibers. Now to change calibers, it takes me about 5min. All the tool heads are set up to my loading requirements, so it's 5min and I'm back in business

same here. Also have acquired a number of powder measures over the years and as I use one powder have the amount each one throws taped to the front. Seems my 44 Mag and 45 C have the same powder load for cowboy shooting

Scott_In_OKC
06-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Not a problem , I use the press for one cartridge only and generally only one load .

Jack

Ditto. My SDB is a dedicated 45 ACP press loading 200 gr SWC. I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.