PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chucker vs Rock Chucker II

AFJ
06-11-2017, 08:42 AM
I've been thinking about adding an older RCBS Rock Chucker press to the collection. After looking at them on the internet, the only things I can see are a difference in linkage pins. Are the priming parts interchangeable between the two? Hopefully those of you more knowledgeable will fill me in.

Thanks.....Jeff

kungfustyle
06-11-2017, 11:42 AM
priming system is a big change as is the primer catcher. However, you can get a 3d printed primer catcher that works 99% of the time for the new Rock Chucker supreme. Priming parts are not interchangeable. Both are great presses, I've had both and now have the Supreme. My Lee turret press sits right next to it. I have the RCBS hand primer for large batches and use the Lee for pistol and small batches of Rifle priming.

Harter66
06-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Between the RC/RCII there was a linkage change and a handle change . I had the RC and RCII bolted up side by side . The major immediately visible change was the lower handle/linkage block to accommodate a larger handle rod and double E clipped pins vs headed single clip hinge pins . The handle is 1/2 threaded on #2 vs 7/16 and came with a ball vs the bicycle grip handle .

As to total usability and function there is little if any difference . The primer arms and trays are the same on the RC thru IV . The 3rd model was short lived and the 4(IV) has a right and left hand handle cast off the 3 may have had dual handle blocks .
The original RC was built from about 1943-1975-6 with the RCII running into about 02' I think and the RCIV showing up around 05' .
The original was a swage press for 22 LR cases to 22 varmint bullets . Which is why the RC has the massive leverage and tiny movement cam over in the last 4-5" inches of lever movement .

You'll never regret any of the RC line being on the bench .

AFJ
06-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies and sharing your knowledge. I am leaning towards a #1, just because it was the beginning of the RC family. Now the search for a nice original Rock Chucker with all of its accessories begins. It's a great piece of classic American reloading history and the collection needs one.

Thanks.....Jeff

SARuger
06-11-2017, 10:58 PM
I have an original Rock Chucker that I bought in 1982, it even has the date stamped under the bushing. I just restored it and I use it daily, its been a great press. I think the RC2 is made in China, but I could be wrong.

EDG
06-12-2017, 05:17 AM
The original RC came out in the mid 1960s or there about as a lower cost replacement for the A2 type press. You can see the direction RCBS was going in the later A2 presses that did not have the steel bushing for larger die sizes. Then the A3 skipped the bushing and the double shear linkage and ram. So the A3 had a ram much like a Rockchucker,
By the time I got my RC in 1971 the A2 was history except for used presses.

I am very partial to the early RC because of the really tough and classic green wrinkle paint finish. The later RCBS items with the cheap silver and green hammer tone finish are really not much to look at.

Big Tom
06-14-2017, 06:03 PM
If you need a new primer catcher for your RC/RC II, check out the shop here: http://www.primercatcher.com/shop1/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

It works much better than the factory provided one - send me a PM and I will get you a coupon code for free shipping.