PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
06-11-2017, 07:10 AM
For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1 Corinthians 15:52b

Richard and Catherine Dotson, both born in 1797, were married for fifty years. Catherine died in 1877 and Richard in 1884. They were buried in the family cemetery in Savannah, Georgia. During World War II, an airport was built nearby; and after the war, a runway was built through the cemetery. Most of the graves were moved, but the Dotson family refused permission for their ancestors to be exhumed. So the runway was built over their graves, and markers were placed in the runway honoring their remains. That’s why Savannah has the only airport in the world with grave markers embedded in its runway.

On reflection, we can see the appropriateness of that. For Christians, our cemetery plots are not our final resting places. They are the runways or launching pads from which we’ll be caught heavenward when Christ returns. The resurrection of the body will be sudden, literal, physical, and glorious. We’ll be snatched up into the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

Without death, there would be no resurrection. That’s why death holds no terror for the Christian. We’re living on a higher plane.

Our resurrection bodies will never wear out or grow old. Your new body will be designed for eternity. It will not be subject to accident, disease, aging, or death. It will never wear out and never die; it will outlive the stars.

USMC87
06-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Amen, I really needed this lesson to start my day!

GhostHawk
06-11-2017, 10:01 AM
I have a question for you guys.

First off good stuff there RL, makes you think. Which leads me back to my question.

So we have seen what the bible says, the promises it makes.
What of those who are cremated not buried?

Does it make a difference?

Ickisrulz
06-11-2017, 10:14 AM
I have a question for you guys.

First off good stuff there RL, makes you think. Which leads me back to my question.

So we have seen what the bible says, the promises it makes.
What of those who are cremated not buried?

Does it make a difference?

God made the first man from the dust of the earth (dirt). I suppose he can work with ashes IF he needs any of the old material to fabricate a body.

When Jesus was resurrected his same body was used, but became different. We conclude the same will be true for Christians, if the body is available. Often there won't be anything left due to decay, incineration, etc. It's fun to think about.

claude
06-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Ecc 12:6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

We are "raised incorruptible" immediately upon death of the flesh, we don't die, we leave the flesh, we are not in storage in the dirt, or in ashes, we are with God. Either on one side of the gulf, or the other.

This is not to cause controversy, one either understands it, or not.

Boaz
06-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Thank you rl69 , good way to begin the day .

Wayne Smith
06-13-2017, 07:58 AM
It makes no difference, we return to atoms which are distributed through the earth anyway. I may have atoms in me that were in Socrates, who knows? God created all that is out of nothing, He can do it again when and if He wants.

Blackwater
06-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Good point, Wayne. As Einstein hinted to "It's all relative," at least one way or another. And I suspect we weren't told HOW we'd be changed, for I suspect we likely wouldn't understand it if we were told, though, so it's likely just as well that we weren't told how it's going to be, I guess?

We all fear and dread death. The only thing that varies is the degree. As aware as we are of our weaknesses and proclivity to failure, we fear death because we haven't lived up to God's instructions like we should have. Therein lies the fear and dread, I think? But the reality of it is, that we're transformed, NOT "eliminated." We've all intuitively sensed that. It's just hard for most of us to accept, without some sort of "concrete proof." But that's where Faith comes in. We know that God has proven time and time and time again, that what He has told us is all true. Thus, if we truly believe, then there can be no real doubt of what happens when the rest of what He told us comes to pass. We are such foolish creatures, and weak! But God spans the gap between what we know and believe, and what He has in store for us, in the end. How could it be any other way, really?