PDA

View Full Version : Brass recommendations for 6.5 Swede?

Oldeyes
07-22-2008, 10:05 AM
I have reached the point where I need to buy more brass for my Swedish Mausers, my meager stash of Portuguese FNM brass will be delegated to the Norwegian Krag with its longer headspace. Years back I remember reading that some U.S. made 6.5x55 brass was being made with the smaller diameter head of the 30-06 family; is that still true, and is there a reasonably priced quality brand of brass out there?
If I have to I'll get Lapua, but for the same bucks I can get a lot more Winchester....

scrapcan
07-22-2008, 10:11 AM
the new Winchester and remington brass I bought have the 473 case head dimension of the 30-06 family. New Lapua, Norma, and RWS brass that I have inspected all have correct swede dimensions. I am using Norma currently and a coworker is using Lapua. I have also been using reformed military brass, winchester and remington. The reformed military and commercial brass was fireformed with a band a tape around the case head to keep the brass centered in the chamber for the first firing.

mike in co
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
lapua....

scrapcan
07-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Oops fogot to give my opinion. Like Mike I would use Lapua it seems to be less brittle than the Norma. But when I want to be cheap, outcomes the box of LC GI Brass.

sundog
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Not Swede, but a comment. I have Norma 7.7 Jap (cheap on sale years ago from Black Hills with an additional dealer discount) and reformed RP 30-06. I cannot tell any difference in performance. Unless brass is just way out of kilter for some reason, mostly military chambers are not very picky.

On the Swede, I have some Lupua and the rest (all same batch) is either RP or Win or whatever. I can't tell any difference.

However, as in all other things, anything we do to enhance our confidence level is a plus. If that means additional expense for Lapua brass because that's what you're comfortable with, GO FOR IT.

Oldeyes
07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Looks like I am going to shell out a few extra dollars for Lapua. The Swede chambers are typical military being a little oversized in diameter (for reliable extraction I suppose) so I would expect better brass life with something starting out at the correct size. While my target loads are on the mild side and slightly smaller cases would not be an issue from a safety standpoint, I plan on full length sizing every reload for interchangeability. On my last outing I grabbed the wrong box of ammo and could only chamber 22 of 50 rounds......some what embarrassing :(
Thanks for the info!

mike in co
07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Looks like I am going to shell out a few extra dollars for Lapua. The Swede chambers are typical military being a little oversized in diameter (for reliable extraction I suppose) so I would expect better brass life with something starting out at the correct size. While my target loads are on the mild side and slightly smaller cases would not be an issue from a safety standpoint, I plan on full length sizing every reload for interchangeability. On my last outing I grabbed the wrong box of ammo and could only chamber 22 of 50 rounds......some what embarrassing :(
Thanks for the info!

i dont do interchangeable rifle ammo. load for one gun and mark the box. i have shot three different mosin nagants( of the 11 i currently own)....none settled on the same load. why load a compromise ??

mike in co

Maximilian225
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I use Winchester,Remington, and Norma in my Carl Gustaf 96.

Win .4739 at Web .4740 at rim
Rem .4742 at Web .4740 at rim
Once Fired Norma .4782 at Web .4765 at Rim

Win & Rem .004-.0043 Smaller at web than once fired Norma, .0025 smaller at rim than once fired Norma.

The Norma are more consistent in weight from case to case. These are left over from some military surplus 139g Spitzers I got with the rifle.

I employ them all pretty equally.

Oldeyes
07-22-2008, 09:21 PM
i dont do interchangeable rifle ammo. load for one gun and mark the box. i have shot three different mosin nagants( of the 11 i currently own)....none settled on the same load. why load a compromise ??

mike in co

In the case of my Swede 96s I have found a load that works better than I can shoot in my best rifles, and I have not found any reason to tweek things. Most of my Swede long rifles are laying around because I am a sucker for craftsmanship and nice wood, and I latch onto any one I find that is priced right. Only a few get shot, and only one of those is my "match" rifle; when I have a milsurp match coming up and I have not had time to tune something interesting, my 1918 Carl Gustav is always a reliable choice.
I do have a pair of short rifles and a Ljungman that need load developement, and they will no doubt get dedicated batches of brass......if I ever get around to it. I'm partial to long barreled beauties....

Maximilliam225, thank you for the measurements. I don't know how critical the web dimension will be over a period of many reloads, but I get warmer fuzzies from the thought of "proper" size cases :) Since Lapua is less pricey than Norma I'll go with them (Lapua has been great in my various Mosins!!)

dromia
07-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Lapua is the bee's knees of brass, I use it in my GC63 however I feel it is a quality too far for military rifles.

I've been using Prvi Partizan cases with great results in my Swede 94, 96s and 38s.

Good but cheap brass and if neck sized and kept to each particular rifle then long lasting, I'm getting half a dozen loads before an anneal is necessary.

Oldeyes
07-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Lapua is the bee's knees of brass, I use it in my GC63 however I feel it is a quality too far for military rifles.

I've been using Prvi Partizan cases with great results in my Swede 94, 96s and 38s.

Hmmmm, too good for military rifles? Are there any other rifles worth the effort?? Seriously, milsurps are my passion and I'll go that extra bit to make them perform; the satisfaction is so much greater for me when I can make a hundred year old rifle outdo a modern plastic wonder.
A friend has been using Prvi brass in his K31 and is experiencing enlarged primer pockets from soft brass; his loads are not stout but the brass may not last. Could be an isolated production period but it gives me some concern about their quality. I use a lot of Graff's 8mm Lebel (Prvi made??) and the quality is O.K. but not outstanding, so for my best milsurps I'll pop for the best hoping it pays off downrange. Plus with our dollar going to pot, and metals prices skyrocketing, I feel I better buy now before I can't afford the good stuff any longer....

dromia
07-25-2008, 02:17 AM
The tolerances on military rifles don't always benefit from tight reloading tolerances.

I shoot and collect military rifles and have done for nigh on 40 years and have tried many types of brass.

In my experience the high quality of Lapua doesn't give any benefit, accuracy wise, in military rifles over Prvi or any other brass.

As I've already said I do notice the benefits of Lapua brass in tight tolerance rifles like the GC63 or the L39 and I do get improvement on the target. That said brass alone won't do it, powder choice, boolit weight, fit, type, consistent loading practice and all the other variables that add up to an accurate load.

Still its your money and your choice, I hope that the extra investment gives you improved performance on the target.

Maven
07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
"A friend has been using Privi- brass in his K31 and is experiencing enlarged primer pockets from soft brass; his loads are not stout but the brass may not last. Could be an isolated production period but it gives me some concern...."

Oldeyes, With respect to the above, I've also been using Privi- brass and 1,700fps -1,800fps loads in my K-31's for several years and haven't experienced the problem you mentioned: fired 9 times. Moreover, I've been using Privi- (Hansen) brass in my 7.62 x 54R's for a very long time (same velocity as in K-31) with nary a failure or problem. That stuff doesn't wear out! Yes, Lapua brass is "the bees' knees" (correct head diameter, perfect primer pockets, etc.) as Dromia said, but it is much more expensive than Privi-.

As for the 6.5 x 55mm, if you have a pile of .30-06 brass on hand, a [6.5 x 55mm] forming die and an inside neck reamer, you can feed your Swe. Mau's. pretty inexpensively. Performance, at least with cast bullets, is indistinguishable from commercial 6.5 x 55mm brass.

Oldeyes
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the advice, folks. If Lapua will not give any major advantage in my Swede, neither will it hurt and and as a dedicated pack-rat it will give me great comfort to have some stashed- so I added a few hundred to my last order. Prvi brass seems to have gone to Unobtania from my normal suppliers; I will pick some up if it reappears, esp. if I ever break the AG42B out of storage. It hurts less to lose cheap brass in the sand dunes and cactus!
Maven, thanks for the reminder that I can always reform '06 brass if necessary. I've got a bunch in my packrat pile (AKA stategic reserve) but I'm not ready to face the work of reforming; my time is scarce for the forseeable future with honey-do stuff, plus I am normally reluctant to spend my "valuable" time on something when I can throw affordable amounts of cash at it instead... too many irons in the fire. Maybe when I retire?

castshooter-too
07-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I use rem brass for the rem 700; But keep the swede 96 loaded with norma or pmc brass. No mistaken loads that way.

Mavin, If you don't mind could you tell me where you got your form die?
I've been looking forever for one to use. as I have an enormous
amount of military 06 brass.
Thanks; any help would be
appreciated:-D

azduke
07-27-2008, 05:40 PM
RCBS might have it.If it was 06 to 7.7 Jap it would be easy,just run it threw the resize die and trim

Maven
07-27-2008, 07:14 PM
castshooter-too, PM (personal message) sent.

castshooter-too
07-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks Maven for the quick reply.PM recieved