PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 sizer / lubrisizer

06-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Was reducing a large boolit today and it was sticky on the up stroke. Lubed it before starting and on the up stroke, the handle broke - BOTH SIDES - where the holes on both sides are drilled to accommodate the pin. Anybody know of a replacement source or am I going to have to fabricate my own? I don't have enough to do as it is!!!!!! Arrrgg.

Kraschenbirn
06-09-2017, 11:23 PM
There was a thread on 450 replacement parts/handle upgrade kits (with part #s) sometime back. If you run a search, you can probably find it. Another possibility is to call Lyman Customer Service: I've always had good experience with them but others...not so good. I'll look and see if I've still got the install instructions/PNs from converting both my older 450s to the late style handles.

Bill

06-10-2017, 12:40 AM
Thanks, Krashinbirn

EDG
06-14-2017, 12:32 AM
I have both gray and orange 450s. Two of each color.
The gray version has a well fitting ram and the flimsy bent sheet metal handle.

The orange versions have the solid machined linkage but the ram is a really crummy fit.

I would try to make a replacement for the sheet metal handle so I could keep the tight fitting ram.
The upgrade kit is kind of expensive and you wind up stuck with a sloppy ram.

The best I can suggest is to troll ebay.
I got a set of the parts (handle, linkage and ram) that someone removed when he upgraded the linkage on his gray 450.

There was a guy here that repaired his several years ago. He doubled the handle thickness at the linkage holes by welding on additional plates.
You might use the search function and see if his photos are still available.

CraigOK
06-14-2017, 01:02 AM
Let us know what route you go