PDA

View Full Version : Do you favor single stage press or Dillon Style Press

buckwheatpaul
06-08-2017, 06:27 PM
I had been out of reloading for quite a few years...and just got restarted about 6 weeks ago....When my better half and I first started reloading so that we could practice more we began with a single stage press (RCBS) and expanded to Dillons when they came out.....the time saved and the large number of rounds we shot justified the Dillons.....Now I am retired from L.E. and just do the ranch work deal....so I broke out the single stage and got started again....and man do I enjoy the single stage process.......

I said that to ask: Do you prefer a single stage or do ya like the progressive loaders.....inquiring feeble minds want to know so weigh in brothers and sisters! Paul

Mytmousemalibu
06-08-2017, 06:52 PM
I love both for the same reasons. The Dillon covers my competition ammo needs and i don't feel like a slave to the task running it for 30min to an hour and I have match ammo covered for a few weeks. It allows me a lot of competition shooting without getting burned out at the bench. Couldn't do what I do now all on a single stage.

On the flipside, the single stage time is me having some fun. I'm doing some load development or specialty cartridge stuff, the single stage is the machine for the job. Can't say I have a true favorite over the other because they fill completely different needs for me that is impractical to do on the other.

lefty o
06-08-2017, 07:02 PM
both.

dragon813gt
06-08-2017, 07:13 PM
I prefer one squarely in the middle, the Lee Classic Turret. It's a jack of all trades that has advantages over both. But I load on a single stage, Lee turret and a Dillon so I won't pick one over the other. They all serve different purposes.

I do not want to load rifle rounds on a progressive nor do I want to load handgun rounds on a single stage.

Kevin Rohrer
06-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Both.

country gent
06-08-2017, 07:18 PM
For specialty ammo and small batches the Co Ax or Newer Summit gets used if its a large batch of ammo then one of the Dillon 650s gets ran. I loaded a lot of 223, 243, 308 on the dillons when shooting high power. I started in febuary and loaded the years ammo needs for us by April. We had 223 243 and 308 for the year that was loaded together on the same set up and identical ( for all practical purposes) this way.

psweigle
06-08-2017, 07:27 PM
I prefer one squarely in the middle, the Lee Classic Turret. It's a jack of all trades that has advantages over both. But I load on a single stage, Lee turret and a Dillon so I won't pick one over the other. They all serve different purposes.

I do not want to load rifle rounds on a progressive nor do I want to load handgun rounds on a single stage.
+1. I single stage my rifle stuff and turret press all my handgun stuff. I prefer to do my 357 magnum without the indexing rod.

TexasGrunt
06-08-2017, 07:28 PM
I've got a Hornady LnL AP, Dillon 650 XL and a Hornady single stage mounted on my bench.

I use the Dillon for .45 ACP and soon 10mm. The Hornady LnL does 9mm, .38/.357, .223, and .44 Mag.

The single stage is used for boolit sizing, decapping rifle brass the first time, loading .30-06, .308 and some day .30-40 Krag.

One of these days I'd like to switch the 9mm and .38/.357 to the Dillon. I guess the .223 will follow that. I have a .44 Mag conversion kit for it but I'm not even going to set it up because I just don't shoot enough of it. I guess that will leave the Hornady to load .44 mag. If I pick up additional calibers I'll most likely use the Hornady for those.

I love my Dillon because it just flat out works. I can load 100 rounds on it in less than 10 minutes. I don't have the case feeder on it either. If I ever get the case feeder I can cut that 100 rounds down to about five minutes.

I guess it all depends on how much you shoot. If you, like me, shoot 500 or so rounds of one loading at a time a progressive press is a must. Loading 500 pistol rounds on a single stage takes hours. If you're loading precision rifle rounds to shoot a mile then a single stage is what you need.

LAH
06-08-2017, 07:28 PM
I use a single stage for certain things but I love a Dillon for my bulk loading.

Juan Jose
06-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Single stage. I like to take things nice and slow.

WJP
06-08-2017, 07:32 PM
First handle I pulled was a 550. My good buddy ended up giving it to me as he was getting older and shot less. Picked up a rc next. I still find the need for both. If I could only have one, it would be a Dillon.

tradbear55
06-08-2017, 08:05 PM
I use both. Dillon for high volume stuff and my RC for the rifle and load development ammo.

Bazoo
06-08-2017, 08:32 PM
I prefer a single stage press, but im fairly low volume. If I started shooting lots of 45 or 9mm or 223.. i'd want a progressive.

shoot-n-lead
06-08-2017, 08:38 PM
I use my 550 as a single stage and turret, too.

M-Tecs
06-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Both....

LAH
06-08-2017, 09:06 PM
I use my 550 as a single stage and turret, too.

A great all round machine for sure.

Bazoo
06-08-2017, 09:11 PM
I like the older equipment.

bandsmoyer
06-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Single

tigweldit
06-08-2017, 09:53 PM
I like them both. They each have different advantages.

daboone
06-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Another vote for both. A CO-AX and a 550. Both are a joy to use. Each has benefits.

Bzcraig
06-08-2017, 10:12 PM

This is me pretty much too sans the Dillon. I load handgun on the turret as well as 300BO and 223 that shoot jacketed in an AR platform. All other rifle rounds are loaded on a single stage.

Pressman
06-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Single stage. Dillon is all about production speed. All the "reloader" does if fill hoppers and crank the handle.
With a single stage I know that each and every round is unique, because I created it with my own two hands.

I have fed a Glock 19 2000 rounds a week using a Herter's Model 3 and a Rockchucker, and felt very satisfied doing it.

Ken

15meter
06-08-2017, 10:46 PM
All 4 shotgun gauges are done on Mec progressives, the common pistol rounds are done on a Dillon Square Deal B, the blasting rifle ammo is done on a Dillon 550. Either low volume/development or high accuracy loads are done on either a Lyman T-mag or a Rock Chucker.

dragon813gt
06-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Single stage. Dillon is all about production speed. All the "reloader" does if fill hoppers and crank the handle.
With a single stage I know that each and every round is unique, because I created it with my own two hands.
Am I missing something. You set up dies on a Dillon like any other press. And you're creating each round w/ your own hands. When running a Dillon you're doing a lot more than filling hoppers and cranking the handle. It will do everything faster but that doesn't mean it's to a lesser quality.

jmorris
06-08-2017, 11:05 PM
I run them all. Sometimes I enjoy the time alone with a single stage.

My wife on the other hand bought me my first 1050, so I would have less time loading and more time with her.

sparky45
06-08-2017, 11:29 PM

I have fed a Glock 19 2000 rounds a week using a Herter's Model 3 and a Rockchucker, and felt very satisfied doing it.

Ken

Good for you!! However, what you've said about Dillon users is Bull Spit. I "hand load" with my 650 just as you do with your Rockchucker. BTW, I have 2 RC's, a Bonanza, Lee Classic Cast Turret Press, Lee Loadmaster, and a just acquired Redding T-7, love them all.

sukivel
06-08-2017, 11:32 PM
I run them all. Sometimes I enjoy the time alone with a single stage.

My wife on the other hand bought me my first 1050, so I would have less time loading and more time with her.

I agree with the first part, but my wife would buy me a single stage...[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spruce
06-09-2017, 12:09 AM
Both, started with a RC, shortly after a 450B when it came out, a 550 B a couple years later. Several years ago I bought a COAX, my favorite and and a used SDB.

Don't understand the comments that you are not handloading when you use a progressive.

pjames32
06-09-2017, 12:42 AM
I use both. My Dillon SDB for my bulk pistol rounds and a single stage for rifle and high pressure pistol.

David2011
06-09-2017, 03:29 AM

Ken

Good for you!! However, what you've said about Dillon users is Bull Spit. I "hand load" with my 650 just as you do with your Rockchucker. BTW, I have 2 RC's, a Bonanza, Lee Classic Cast Turret Press, Lee Loadmaster, and a just acquired Redding T-7, love them all.

Ken, you say every round is unique like that's a good thing. I want every round to be identical, the opposite of unique. Sparky45 is right. My criteria for choosing between a progressive and a single stage is the number of rounds I intend to load. My Dillons create the same quality ammunition as the single stage presses. I choose a single stage for up to 100 rounds due to the setup time unless I already have a toolhead and powder measure set up for the cartridge. If I'm loading more than 100 it's going to be a lot more than 100.

Single stage= fun, relaxing loading even if it's precision. Dillon 550= still fun but better production. Dillon 650= production, production, production but still frequent quality control checks.

I especially enjoy sitting down at the single stage bench to craft 20 or 40 rifle cartridges for deer, feral hogs, exotics and varmints. I load big bore pistol rounds the same way. For my competition loads the 650 throws 4.7 grains of Titegroup plus or minus next to nothing. I crank out enough ammunition in a half hour for a match or two and a practice session. I also load .223 on the 650 and load .30-'06 for my Garand on the 550. The 550 also handles most of my handgun rounds. It has conversion kits for a lot of rifle and handgun calibers.

If I had to thin down my reloading equipment I would still want my Rock Chucker and the Dillon 550. To pick between those two, I would keep the Rock Chucker because it will do everything, just slowly, but can't imagine having to make that decision.

I knew someone that USPSA in the open division and loaded on a single stage press. He shot lots of matches. I can't imagine loading that many rounds on a single stage press. Ken, my hat is off to you for making 2000/week on single stage presses. I have shot that much in a week a few times and it was a chore with a 650.

David

44deerslayer
06-09-2017, 05:06 AM
I use my Dillons for pistols my single stage is for rifle only

CIC
06-09-2017, 05:45 AM
I enjoy the process of loading on a single stage. Not tempted in the least to move to a turret or progressive. I do not shoot competitively only for hunting and recreation so the volume I shoot is lower than some.

Shawlerbrook
06-09-2017, 06:00 AM
I don't think it's a matter of liking, but different tools for different jobs. Like said above, for large batches of ammo for pistols or AR's it's hard to beat the Dillon-type machines. But for my purposes, mostly rifle ammo for hunting and casual target shooting, a single stage press works great.

bobthenailer
06-09-2017, 06:48 AM
I use my Dillon for most handgun ammo as that is what I shoot 99% of the time .
I use my RCBS rock chucker for rifle ammo .
And my old Posness Warren P-200 for rarely used calibers such as 32 acp and 30 carbine thats not worthwhile to convert the Dillon to . as it uses RCBS type shell holders that fits most single stage presses.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-09-2017, 07:13 AM
I have no issues using my Forster co ax single stage press

ioon44
06-09-2017, 08:05 AM
I use my Dillon 550 for handgun ammo as that is what I shoot 90% of the time but I load .223 on the 550 after pepping on the RCBS .
I use my RCBS Rock Chucker for rifle ammo.

TexasGrunt
06-09-2017, 08:15 AM
I wonder how many of the single stage guys have only single cavity molds?

dragon813gt
06-09-2017, 08:42 AM
I wonder how many of the single stage guys have only single cavity molds?

For rifles this most likely wouldn't be an issue. In fact it would ensure that every bullet was the same. It would be hell for handgun bullets.

gray wolf
06-09-2017, 08:44 AM
I like what's practical for the task at hand.

Reddirt62
06-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Dillon

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HATCH
06-09-2017, 10:04 AM
It depends on what you are doing.

I have only ever loaded on a progressive press (550).
I could not imagine doing steps in loading.

fecmech
06-09-2017, 10:05 AM
I started with a Lyman Spar T turret and still have it today. That is what I use to load rifle cartridges such as .243,308, and 30-30 and occasional small runs of oddball pistol cartridges. My primary loaders are 2 CH Auto Champs. One is set up exclusively for .38/.357 which is the bulk of my shooting now. The other is set up for .45 and .380 auto. I have never owned a single stage press.

Pressman
06-09-2017, 11:18 AM

I thought my comments might just get the die hard Dillon folks going. That's OK. Dillon's are good presses and turn out a lot of excellent ammo. And a couple of them gave a very nice defense of their position. That's a good thing.

I am going to stay with my Herter's and other single stages as it just feels like reloading to do everything one step at a time. But then I am still trying to see the need for black rifles, even if I own one.

Ken

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Do you favor single stage press or Dillon Style Press ?

Yes

Kraschenbirn
06-09-2017, 11:37 AM
I've got (and use) both. Haven't loaded a rifle-caliber case on the Dillons since I dropped out of IHMSA competition, twenty-some years ago...strictly handgun calibers these days. All my rifle rounds...both bottleneck and straight-wall...get loaded on the single stage(s).

No, I don't own anything even resembling an "AR" or "AK" nor do I feel any desire to acquire such. Perhaps, if I did, I'd go back to a progressive but I don't see that happening.

Bill

Char-Gar
06-09-2017, 12:05 PM
I owned one progressive, so it and will never own another. If you mind wanders a bit when reloading, it is easy to mess things up, if not load a dangerous round. I also don't need large volumn of ammo.

I load handgun rounds on a manual turret press, either a Redding or old Lyman All American. Rifle rounds get loaded on an old RCBS A2 or an older Pacific C. I use the turret presses much like a single stage, with the dies preset loaded in the turret. I don't turn the turret through all stages to load each round.

Char-Gar
06-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Am I missing something. You set up dies on a Dillon like any other press. And you're creating each round w/ your own hands. When running a Dillon you're doing a lot more than filling hoppers and cranking the handle. It will do everything faster but that doesn't mean it's to a lesser quality.

Yes you are missing something, but if you don't know, you would not understand the answer. It is all about personal satisfaction and not ammo production. It is the same reason some people don't want an automatic transmission in their vehicle, but prefer to shift gears manually.

jmorris
06-09-2017, 12:24 PM
I guess for me it's about production but there are still times a single stage will beat a progressive. If a progressive is setup and ready to go, that is not one of them.

I can load faster than my PLC controlled press but there is nothing I have that is easier to load with. It's the one on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RxMulCqbQ

sparky45
06-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Oh contraire; the analogy should be Bentley vs. Ford Pinto. I enjoy ALL my presses, that's why I still have them. Now a days I load mostly on my RC's because I don't load much in the way of volume. If I were shooting weekly/daily, I would obviously load with my Dillon 650. Excellent quality and produces ammo equal to ANY single stage IMO. Those shooting F class are a whole different breed, anal in psych. development and tedious in procedure. I kid the F class folk's cause I wish I could be as focused.

jmorris
06-09-2017, 12:28 PM
That said with a single stage I can go from 38 spl to 44 mag to 7-08 all in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3AGbx5YVZk

So the SS, for me is a better choice at that point.

At least until I get a lot longer reloading room.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20140424_192918_zps1e5b242b.jpg

dragon813gt
06-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Yes you are missing something, but if you don't know, you would not understand the answer. It is all about personal satisfaction and not ammo production. It is the same reason some people don't want an automatic transmission in their vehicle, but prefer to shift gears manually.

No, I'm not missing anything. He made a blanket statement about pulling the handle and loading hoppers. I was foolish to even ask the question. His post was a baiting one and quite a few have taken it. Last thing I want to load is a "unique" round. I want them all the same.

Reloading is a personal experience. What one enjoys another will hate. That's why we have all the choices we do. I'm not going to disparage someone because they use different equipment.

Char-Gar
06-09-2017, 01:41 PM
No, I'm not missing anything. He made a blanket statement about pulling the handle and loading hoppers. I was foolish to even ask the question. His post was a baiting one and quite a few have taken it. Last thing I want to load is a "unique" round. I want them all the same.

Reloading is a personal experience. What one enjoys another will hate. That's why we have all the choices we do. I'm not going to disparage someone because they use different equipment.

I do not believe he intended "unique" to mean that each round is unlike the others in a batch, nor do I think he was baiting you.

Many of us, myself included, started reloading long before there was any such things as a mass market affordable progressive reloading press. We loaded all our ammo on single stage or turret press. In time the reloading process became enjoyable in an of itself. We enjoyed adjusting dies, setting crimps, adjust seating dies, lubricating cases and all the other steps in reloading. We could produce all the ammo we needed at a very reasonable price.

Along came the progressives and it removed much of our enjoyment from reloading. Produce more ammo is a shorter period of time, sure. However it took our fun out of our long practiced hobby.

The later generations started reloading in the progressive era and never developed the love of the process. Their goal was to produce the most ammo in the least amount of time. My goal is to produce all the ammo I want and enjoy every minute I spend at the reloading bench. It is not work, but time spent filled with memories of other times and good friends. I love the smell of bullet lube and gun cleaning solutions as memories rush back with each whif. This is why I have no desire for clean burning powders nor progressive reloading presses. Doing it old and slow connects me with some of the best years of my life.

I doubt the above will make much sense to newer shooters, but will resonate with some of the geezers in these here parts.

slim1836
06-09-2017, 01:46 PM
I've never been spoiled, have always used single stage.

Slim

Blanket
06-09-2017, 01:53 PM
I use my Dillons for pistols my single stage is for rifle only This pretty much. Carbide dies only in Dillons, everything else in one of the singles

jmorris
06-09-2017, 01:57 PM
My goal is to produce all the ammo I want and enjoy every minute I spend at the reloading bench.

See we all have the same goals, we just spend different amounts of time at the bench, loading different quantities of ammunition.

dragon813gt
06-09-2017, 02:13 PM
I do not believe he intended "unique" to mean that each round is unlike the others in a batch, nor do I think he was baiting you.

I thought my comments might just get the die hard Dillon folks going.

Straight from his mouth.

I understand what you're saying. But progressives don't remove the enjoyment of reloading for everyone. For me every minute at the bench is time away from me young sons. When they're old enough to help it will be a different story. As I said earlier, everyone is different and what one loves another will hate.

For the record I detest automatic transmissions. It's a treat working in Europe where the rentals are all manual unless you want to pay an arm and a leg. Not a fan of Europe but am of the transmissions in the vehicles.

marlin39a
06-09-2017, 02:18 PM
I use Single Stage only. A Redding T-7 and an RCBS RS (my original 40 yr old press. I did have a Dillon years ago, but never liked the process.

Walter Laich
06-09-2017, 02:46 PM
both
dillons for cowboy ammo

single stage for 45-70
working up loads
with Lee sizing die kits--sizing bullets after PC

ukrifleman
06-09-2017, 03:06 PM
I have had a Lyman Spartan single stage press for more years than I care to remember and it still does sterling work sizing and gas checking bullets, but I also have a Lee Classic turret which I use to load my 17 calibres.

IMHO, for value, practicality and ease of use, the Lee Classic Turret is great value for money.

ukrifleman

MT Chambers
06-09-2017, 03:19 PM
I worry about double charges or missing charges, so it's the Forster Co-ax all the way.

dverna
06-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Co-Ax, Rock Chucker, 1050 and two 550's. This is after downsizing.

Loading plinking ammo on a SS means, one does not plink much, does not mind spending a lot of hours reloading, does not have a progressive, or is very anal.

A competitive pistol shooter who does not use a progressive, will never reach their potential or can afford factory ammunition

Basically, if you are a shooter....in most disciplines....you will get a progressive.

Nothing wrong with only shooting a 100 rounds a week. But that persons advice will differ from those who shoot more. And those loading for over a dozen calibers, will need something different than say a Bullseye, CAS, or IPSC competitor.

There are good and poor choices but one size does not fit all

robg
06-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Only used single stage presses ,fancy a turret but I worry if I make an error it will be a big one before I pick up the mistake.stripping down 10 rounds is no big deal but 100 plus is a pain.

jmorris
06-09-2017, 05:26 PM
I worry about double charges or missing charges, so it's the Forster Co-ax all the way.

My powder check dies are sensitive enough to catch a proper charge in a case that has slightly less volume than one should have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EU9deSKm48

TexasGrunt
06-09-2017, 05:54 PM

My RCBS Lockout die will catch both of those and stop the press. It will also catch .38/.357 brass that's mixed up, .40/10mm brass that's mixed up, .380/9mm brass that's mixed up, .45 GAP/.45 ACP brass that's mixed up.

In normal use in a pistol cartridge it will catch a .2 gr variation on the powder charge.

dverna
06-09-2017, 06:09 PM
I get tired of the whole double charge excuse for not using a progressive.

Even if someone is sloppy and careless, there are accessories to catch a problem...as noted in above posts.

My guess is the majority of double charges come from people who do not use auto indexing progressives.

If you want ammunition that does not have squibs or double charges, get a progressive with a powder check or lock out die.

Electric Apple Juice
06-09-2017, 06:19 PM
I have a Hornady Progressive, but seldom use it that way. Had the [new] price not been SO good, I would have stuck with a single-stage; better to keep track of where-you-are-in-the-process. That said, if I had the bux (and the room), I'd have an "auto Dillon" set up for every caliber I do..., it'd be "fill it up and turn it on".

KenT7021
06-09-2017, 06:53 PM
I started with a Lyman 310 tool during the 50's.It worked well.I would probably go with my RCBS Ammo Master single stage if I only kept one press.

km101
06-10-2017, 01:06 PM
I use my Rockchucker for low/moderate volume rifle rounds and test loads for both rifle and handgun. Volume loading for handguns, .223 & .308 is done on my progressives.

EDG
06-10-2017, 01:25 PM
If you understand burn rates and specific gravity you can pick a powder that fills the case completely with a maximum load.
This makes it impossible to double charge. That leave NO powder as the only real mistake you can make.

Every guy that I know that has blown the grips off of an auto pistol did it with a Dillon.

I get tired of the whole double charge excuse for not using a progressive.

Even if someone is sloppy and careless, there are accessories to catch a problem...as noted in above posts.

My guess is the majority of double charges come from people who do not use auto indexing progressives.

If you want ammunition that does not have squibs or double charges, get a progressive with a powder check or lock out die.

RMII
06-14-2017, 09:20 PM
I use both single stage and progressives depending on what I'm loading. High volume stuff like pistol and some .223 goes on the progressive. Low volume rifle loads for accuracy get done on a single. There is no way I would consider doing the volume of pistol rounds (thousands) on a single - it would simply take longer than its worth.

Your mileage may vary....

captain-03
06-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Have loaded on a single stage since around 1973. Several years ago decided I NEEDED a Dillon and purchased one new with 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, and 223 dies, plates, etc. Loaded 1 50rd box of 45acp on it and it now sits covered on my reloading bench. Since I actually enjoy reloading and have plenty of time to do so ... the single stage is my go-to!!

maxreloader
06-14-2017, 10:05 PM
At one point I had way over 50 presses... since discovering the Star Universals... I now have under 25 total. I patiently waited for over a year after a semi-famous gunmaker/wildcatter/genius of a guy passed. Finally the good friend of his that also patiently waited let me know that he had "all the Stars". I luckily didnt get a speeding ticket on my way over to buy them. Ended up getting almost 9 complete machines, tons of parts and extra toolheads and NOS die sets. I sold/gave away all my Lyman All-Americans and still hold onto my Hollywoods, 2 redding T7's, 3 co-ax's and some oldies like my Frankford Arsenal for the teens and my Pacific Gunsight press from the late 20's. Never owned a dillon for more than the time it took me to buy/sell/deliver it. The 2 A4 RCBS Big Max's do most of my heavy lifting like caseforming swaging etc. I may have a slight hoarding issue with presses LOL!

tdoyka
06-14-2017, 11:16 PM
i've had a lyman t-mag press for about 23+/- years. it did alright, but i have gotten into a lee classic cast press. its slow and easy to do, just like me!!!

TexasGrunt
06-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Have loaded on a single stage since around 1973. Several years ago decided I NEEDED a Dillon and purchased one new with 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, and 223 dies, plates, etc. Loaded 1 50rd box of 45acp on it and it now sits covered on my reloading bench. Since I actually enjoy reloading and have plenty of time to do so ... the single stage is my go-to!!

I enjoy reloading too. I really like one complete round for every pull of the handle. Load the tube with cases, feed it boolits and my 650 just creates perfect rounds every pull of the handle.

jmorris
06-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Several years ago decided I NEEDED a Dillon and purchased one new with 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, and 223 dies, plates, etc. Loaded 1 50rd box of 45acp on it and it now sits covered on my reloading bench.

What is it and what do you want for it?

Char-Gar
06-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Co-Ax, Rock Chucker, 1050 and two 550's. This is after downsizing.

Loading plinking ammo on a SS means, one does not plink much, does not mind spending a lot of hours reloading, does not have a progressive, or is very anal.

A competitive pistol shooter who does not use a progressive, will never reach their potential or can afford factory ammunition

Basically, if you are a shooter....in most disciplines....you will get a progressive.

Nothing wrong with only shooting a 100 rounds a week. But that persons advice will differ from those who shoot more. And those loading for over a dozen

calibers, will need something different than say a Bullseye, CAS, or IPSC competitor.

There are good and poor choices but one size does not fit all

What did competition shooters do before progressives were affordable and readily available? In the 50's, 60's and 70's, the only progressives were the Star/Phelps. There were to costly for 99% of the competition shooters, and were only used by clubs and law enforcement agencies. The average competition shooters used a single stage or turret press.

Bullseye pistol matches and four position rifle matches were well attended all over the country. I was one of those and loaded all my ammo on a Pacific Super C or Lyman turrent presses.

Progressive presses are a time saver, but certainly not a necessity to be a competition shooter. I do realize that people don't look backward or even forward beyond their own time when coming to conclusions or forming opinions. But when conclusions and opinion are stated as absolute fact, it is time for a reality check.

jmorris
06-17-2017, 11:36 AM
...when conclusions and opinion are stated as absolute fact, it is time for a reality check.

Absolutely and the fact is that everyone's reality is different. It can even change for the same person.

When I have the time and want to spend it reloading, I have spent more than an hour loading 50 rounds or less before.

When I needed to feed the kid, do a load of laundry, unload/reload the dishwasher, get my gear ready and load 300 rounds for the match and I have an hour to do it all, a progressive is the only thing that will work.

Char-Gar
06-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Absolutely and the fact is that everyone's reality is different. It can even change for the same person.

When I have the time and want to spend it reloading, I have spent more than an hour loading 50 rounds or less before.

When I needed to feed the kid, do a load of laundry, unload/reload the dishwasher, get my gear ready and load 300 rounds for the match and I have an hour to do it all, a progressive is the only thing that will work.

Reality is a slippery little booger. We take in information through our various senses and process it in our brain. Our brains also contain a myriad of experiences, opinions, perceptions, prejudices, lots of good stuff and some BS. After the mental blender gets through with all of this stuff, what comes out is what we call "reality".

Lots of times, what we consider to be reality is more BS than fact. There is some common reality, like water runs down hill and the sun rises in the east, but when we move past that, things get real slippery.

Your priority for the use of your time mandates the use of a progressive press. However others don't have the same priority for the use of their time, and the use of a progressive press for competition is far, far less than an absolute necessity. As a retired person with no real responsibilities, I could compete with nothing more than a 310 tool.

dverna
06-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Char-Gar,

I shot Bullseye in the 70's and loaded on a Co-Ax when I needed to. Luckily, my mentor had two Stars and we would have reloading parties at his place. Later he got a Camdex.

Most of the shooters who were competitive used Stars. But I must admit I do not know what the average shooter used. I do know it was painfully slow to load on that Co-Ax after "seeing the light".

Now we have very affordable progressive presses. Time marches on..... Maybe there are high volume pistol shooters who do not use a progressive but they will be a small minority. Again, my experience with the shooters I know. I do not know any who do not use a progressive.

Sorry if I offended in any way.

StratsMan
06-17-2017, 01:05 PM
At one point I had way over 50 presses... since discovering the Star Universals... I now have under 25 total... <snip> I may have a slight hoarding issue with presses LOL!

Wow... Glad to see that I'm not nearly the hoarder I thought I was....

As far as a preference... I just like presses!! Mostly older ones, single stage or progressives... Of the last 9 I've bought; 3 Stars, 5 singles and a Mec... The Dillon 550 doesn't get used much these days, but if I were to pick up the pace again then it would start getting a work out again. (I don't shoot 1K rds/month any more....)

Little Oak
06-17-2017, 01:08 PM
I found that progressives are great for large runs of handgun ammo and single stage for all rifle ammo.
I used an old Pacific/Hornady progressive for 38/357, 44, 45ACP and 45LC. A great press when you get it set up but takes some time and TLC to get it running just right. My nephew has it now but can't stand the messing and bought a Redding T7 with spare turrets and loves it.
Worst progressive I ever used was an inline thing from RCBS that I was asked to test out for a dealer. I tried really hard on that monster but it was a disaster and I gave up in the end. I believe it's now used as a boat anchor.
I have an original Rockchucker for all the stuff I do now, it's slow but precise.

NoAngel
06-17-2017, 01:14 PM
I've never liked a progressive and have no use for one. I tried one a few times. They are much faster but it did nothing for me. I reload because I enjoy reloading. Shooting, emptying brass, is ancillary. I'm one of the weirdos that actually like reloading more than shooting and a progressive cheats me out of time enjoyed.

Char-Gar
06-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Char-Gar,

I shot Bullseye in the 70's and loaded on a Co-Ax when I needed to. Luckily, my mentor had two Stars and we would have reloading parties at his place. Later he got a Camdex.

Most of the shooters who were competitive used Stars. But I must admit I do not know what the average shooter used. I do know it was painfully slow to load on that Co-Ax after "seeing the light".

Now we have very affordable progressive presses. Time marches on..... Maybe there are high volume pistol shooters who do not use a progressive but they will be a small minority. Again, my experience with the shooters I know. I do not know any who do not use a progressive.

Sorry if I offended in any way.

I am not offended. I just want those who read these posts not to think they

MUST us a progressive machine in order to compete at a good level. I don't want shooters to be discouraged from competing because they don't have a Dillon. Shooting in competition is a good way to hone your skills and enjoy the company of good folks.

At age 74 I still competed weekly in falling plate match (22 LR) and Bowling Pin matches with a Smith and Wesson 625 (45 ACP). I don't have a progressive press. I had one once and it didn't suit my fancy.

Again, I just don't want people to think they must run out and buy high production rate equipment to compete and have fun.

retread
06-17-2017, 02:09 PM
All three, single, turret and progressive. Each has its place. I still enjoy single stage the most. More relaxing to me.

sukivel
06-17-2017, 02:46 PM
I've never liked a progressive and have no use for one. I tried one a few times. They are much faster but it did nothing for me. I reload because I enjoy reloading. Shooting, emptying brass, is ancillary. I'm one of the weirdos that actually like reloading more than shooting and a progressive cheats me out of time enjoyed.

I'm turning into a weirdo as well...

TexasGrunt
06-17-2017, 05:35 PM
I am not offended. I just want those who read these posts not to think they

MUST us a progressive machine in order to compete at a good level. I don't want shooters to be discouraged from competing because they don't have a Dillon. Shooting in competition is a good way to hone your skills and enjoy the company of good folks.

At age 74 I still competed weekly in falling plate match (22 LR) and Bowling Pin matches with a Smith and Wesson 625 (45 ACP). I don't have a progressive press. I had one once and it didn't suit my fancy.

Again, I just don't want people to think they must run out and buy high production rate equipment to compete and have fun.

For the guy who just needs to load lots of one caliber a Dillon Square Deal B is $405. Not all that expensive and they can crank out the ammo.

Char-Gar
06-17-2017, 05:56 PM
For the guy who just needs to load lots of one caliber a Dillon Square Deal B is $405. Not all that expensive and they can crank out the ammo.

I bought a Square Deal when they were just $225. I didn't like it and sold it to Glen Frxyell.

LAH
06-17-2017, 10:27 PM

My first progressive was a Square Deal B. I still use it for 45 ACP.

Lloyd Smale
06-18-2017, 08:56 AM
I load to shoot. Its a nessisary job if I want to shoot. The fastest I can make QUALITY ammo the better. Same goes for casting. I like to load and cast but I REALLY like to shoot. Make mine a good progressive loader

tstowater
06-18-2017, 04:43 PM
I would favor a single stage, but probably use a 550 most of the time. I had about 450 220 Swifts to finish yesterday. They had already been cleaned (2X), sized, annealed and trimmed. Just needed to prime, powder and bullet. Used a Lee primer and the 550 for powder and bullet seating.

Last time I did about the same number of 22-250s, I used a single stage where I did the priming and powder measuring and my son seated bullets. Nice to have a couple sets of dies so you can leave a set in a tool head.

Just depends on the project and time available. Glad that I have both options.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

copdills
06-18-2017, 04:53 PM
single stage

starreloader
06-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Can't give any real opinion on single stage verses progressive presses. In early Feb of 1971 I got into competitive shooting. I bought a single stage press, a RCBS and after about 3 hours of using it I knew that I wasn't going to make a 1000 rounds a week this way. Called up a friend that was a big shooter/loader and asked what I needed to load volume, a STAR Progressive Loader was his answer. Ordered a STAR that was later followed by several more STARS, then a few of Dillons as the different models came out. Still have the RCBS, but it is only used to decap brass. All I know is that I would not be shooting a couple hundred rounds a week today without using a progressive press.

RogerDat
06-19-2017, 01:35 AM
Don't understand the issue. Progressive suits some folks style, caliber, and perception of need, I guess. I like casting, I like brass prep, I like making a finished product that I can admire and use.

I'm just surprised more folks don't put the turret presses high on their list. Lee disk means everything is set up to go, with index rod in I can crank out ammo, plenty fast enough. With index rod out It is a decent (already adjusted) single stage with quick change disks. Wife watches her dance or food programs, I make progress on another 50 round tray in single stage. On my way to making 400 rounds for rifles over a couple of weeks.

I guess I feel more in control and connected watching one stage or process taking place at a time is more comfortable than I would be with multiple steps taking place at once. Turret with index rod is faster but still only doing one thing at a time.

Lloyd Smale
06-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Yup I sure wouldn't be able to shoot near as much as I do know. I seriously doubt id even be here if it weren't for progressive presses. If I loaded 50 rounds a week I doubt id have ever had the need to even cast. bottom line is if a guy is a seasoned loader he can crank out ammo 4 times faster on a 550 and make ammo every bit as good as your going to make on a single stage press. Only difference is you get a round for every pull of the handle. Only exception might be a bench rest shooter that has to be a lot more anal because .0001 in group size might mean the difference in winning a match or not. But unless your into some real big time bench rest shooting you can make pretty competitive ammo on a progressive. There no step a bench rest shooter makes that cant be done by pulling the case off the station on a progressive and doing the same to it. I shot competitive bullseye and ppc for years. I don't think there was ever a man or women that was competitive in either league that didn't load on a Dillon. If you were loading single stage youd best be retired and dedicating 8 hours a day to casting and loading if your going to shoot enough to get and stay competitive. Now everyone doesn't need a progressive. But this guy sure does.
Can't give any real opinion on single stage verses progressive presses. In early Feb of 1971 I got into competitive shooting. I bought a single stage press, a RCBS and after about 3 hours of using it I knew that I wasn't going to make a 1000 rounds a week this way. Called up a friend that was a big shooter/loader and asked what I needed to load volume, a STAR Progressive Loader was his answer. Ordered a STAR that was later followed by several more STARS, then a few of Dillons as the different models came out. Still have the RCBS, but it is only used to decap brass. All I know is that I would not be shooting a couple hundred rounds a week today without using a progressive press.

jmorris
06-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Microwave or open fire?

My kid eats most of it from a microwave but everytime we have a fire she wants either marshmallows or popcorn.

Guess that's one persons difference between quantity "needs" and enjoyment.

Efin
06-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Both, I have the RCBS RC for rifle and any load development and any small batches of both types, plus when decapping any cases I bring back from the range before cleaning.
The 550b is used only for bulk use, mostly pistol, some rifle.
I really enjoy single stage the most, as I recently got into loading for precision shooting, but the Dillon makes the best use of time when running more than 100 at a sitting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mold maker
06-19-2017, 12:55 PM
It appears that volume dictates the method for most.
I still have and use the first press ( RC Jr.) I got in the 60s. I have other single stage, turret, and progressive presses, but if I have time I enjoy the slower pace. It seems that when usung the progressives I get in a hurry, simply because I can, or maybe that's the only reason I do it.