PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Ruger 77/22 in 17HMR

osteodoc08
06-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Been wanting/looking for an adult sized 22lr rifle. Picked up a CZ sported and while nice and quite accurate still doesn't feel like an adult sized rifle. Purpose is hunting, varminting/pests and target.

Came across a Ruger 77/22 with black laminate stock and target grey barrel without sights. A full sized full length adult rifle. Wanted opinions on it before I plunk down the money.

Had a savage 17HMR and enjoyed it but was a head shot only affair for squirrels.

Kestrel4k
06-08-2017, 02:54 PM
I know what you mean about the CZ rimfire rifles; I like mine but they seem to be "90%" sized, while my 77/22 just feels 'right' to me - particularly the standard length-of-pull.

The first thing I did with my 77 is to shim the bolt to take up any excess headspace; now that it's dialed-in, is an /outstanding/ shooter. Would highly recommend one in .17HMR if you are so inclined. :)

M-Tecs
06-08-2017, 03:19 PM
I love my CZ 452's in 17 HMR, but, I prefer the Ruger magazine. It's my understanding that Ruger has improved the quality of their barrels. If true I may get one but I have not found one that will equal the accuracy of my two CZ American's or my CZ target.

I am also considering a Savage A17. Usage is mostly for prairie dogs.

I am 6'4" and I really like how the American stock fits me.