PDA

View Full Version : Rounded Bases

Good Cheer
06-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Been pondering over a heavier revolver boolit design that would benefit from the rounded back side like a round ball. And would minimize the loss of powder space. Any yall experimented with such?

FrontierMuzzleloading
06-08-2017, 12:58 PM
basically like a belted round ball, but only conical shape. Not sure how the round base would do with pressure build up though. That belt would be taking all the pressure in the end.

Good Cheer
06-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Yeah, basically a wadcutter between the diameters of the bore and grooves and just enough "belt" to be the same as what a round ball ends up with.
With pistol boolit molds in .41 and .45 diameter I size the backsides enough to leave a belt up front. But I doubt the location of the belt is important (other than you want the boolit to slip into the chambers for alignment) so was thinking just make the design front to rear symmetric, an elongated ball with slightly flatter ends.
What I don't know though is how much "roundness" would be preferable for accuracy.
Any how, I figger somebody is already shooting something similar so thought I'd ask.