PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Lint

Johnch
06-08-2017, 01:20 AM
Today I looked a a older house close to me
I know the family and my buy the house to fix up as I can .... the price they talked about is less IMO than the land is worth

OK no basement steps , as 20 or so years back the steps got bad
So someone screwed the door shut and walked away

I looked in the basement to see if I could see any major problems and found a dry basement

But under the dryer that is upstairs there is a 4' high 10' around mound of dryer lint
The plastic dryer vent got bad and never got fixed

The mound isn't all good lint , as IMO the bottom foot is full of mold

But in the morning I am going back to get a few garbage bags full
As I have some 55 gallon barrel liners and figure 1 will last a long time ... so to be safe as I may not buy the house
Get 2 or 3 bags full .... or what I can get that looks good

No more Scrounging for dryer lint for me
I guess looking at the house was worth it even if I find out there are problems :p

John

Artful
06-08-2017, 01:25 AM
I use it for fire starter - what do you use that much lint for?

tommag
06-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Wow, they weren't much on maintenence, were they? A pile 4 ft by 10 foot would've been a great fire starter. I'll bet they "fixed" leaky roofs with buckets, too.

NavyVet1959
06-08-2017, 01:52 AM
I know of at least one house that has burned down because the woman who was renting the house never cleaned the dryer filter and it overheated and caught fire.

dg31872
06-08-2017, 02:23 AM
Dacron filler substitute? A bag would last a long time.

Hamish
06-08-2017, 02:28 AM
I hope he's NOT using it for filler.
I tried it. First batch of brass I found one with a rock hard lump where the lint had melted and stayed in the brass. Almost didn't get it out.

Sasquatch-1
06-08-2017, 07:28 AM
I think I would smack that pile several times to make sure nothing is living in there. It would be hell to pick up a mouse or a snake in a hand full.

Personally, I would just go to a sewing store and buy a bag of polyfill.

Garyshome
06-08-2017, 07:47 AM
"No more Scrounging for dryer lint for me"

Got any for sale, I've been looking for some but ended up with a NEW lint free dryer!

JBinMN
06-08-2017, 08:39 AM
I really have to ask..

"Why?"

waksupi
06-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I just use belly button lint for filler.

EMC45
06-08-2017, 09:56 AM
I too use it for fire starter. Works great!

flint45
06-08-2017, 07:34 PM
I hate dryer lint, back when I was much younger and in a big hurry I was working under a house that we were remodeling. I was putting in some new copper pipes and I noticed that the ground under the house was covered with about 2 inches of dryer lint in about a 15 foot circle. I the interest of safety I cleared a small area around me and got busy sweating joints.When a moltin drip of solder landed on my neck let go of the mapp gas torch I was holding and it went right into the very dry lint!it all burned it looked like the ground had smokeless powder covering it. Fire all around me thought I was going to burn down that house but nothing caught fire, then my boss said "hey whats that smell I just said oh a little dryer lint" laid under there checking everything for like a half hour.

jonp
06-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Fire starter yes but why so much as everyone else is asking?

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-08-2017, 11:02 PM
I think I would smack that pile several times to make sure nothing is living in there. It would be hell to pick up a mouse or a snake in a hand full.
...SNIP
Maybe I've watched to many X-files episodes, but that large of pile could be a pod person.

Sasquatch-1
06-09-2017, 05:45 AM
Screen cleaner please.

I just use belly button lint for filler.

sawinredneck
06-09-2017, 05:51 AM

Personally, I would just go to a sewing store and buy a bag of polyfill.

Maybe I've watched to many X-files episodes, but that large of pile could be a pod person.
Rougaroo!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfssU0mj-E

Boaz
06-09-2017, 08:45 AM

I have to go with jon on this . There is defiantly some extraterrestrial activity going on here . Dang sure could be pod folks in play on this deal !

shooter2
06-09-2017, 09:07 AM
I can think of no reasonable use for dryer lint.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-09-2017, 10:15 AM
I can think of no reasonable use for dryer lint.

I agree, and I even tried to use it as fire starter material (with wax and egg cartons) years ago, but chainsaw chips work soooooo much better. The trick with chainsaw chips is to get the wax smokin' hot (NOT to be done in a building), then pour the wax over the chips, it will foam up and soak into the wood. The foaming action puts a lot of air spaces in the fire starter which makes it burn much hotter, but for a shorter amount of time. Dryer lint fire starters burned like a candle, not much heat, but would burn a long time, which isn't helpful, if you want fire RIGHT NOW.

3leggedturtle
06-09-2017, 12:17 PM
"No more Scrounging for dryer lint for me"

Got any for sale, I've been looking for some but ended up with a NEW lint free dryer!
You want some?
When I head down to Biloxi for the winter the winter I always manage to pick up 2-3 Walmart bags full of cotton from the side of the road. Dipped in Vaseline and along with Birch bark, there is no place I cant start a fire. Dryer lint works ok most of time. Watch with moldy stuff tho, it can mess up your sinuses for awhile. Todd/3leg

EMC45
06-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Dryer lint DOES burn like smokeless!

JBinMN
06-09-2017, 07:26 PM
This is quite an interesting topic because I cannot figure out WHY? a person would want more than a hand full of dryer lint.

Even a sandwich size ziplock... let alone a bread bag full... but...A "pile" that requires lawn size/"drum container" bags is beyond my way of thinking.

Is there some sort of "value"?

Tom W.
06-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Making quilts?

MaryB
06-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Making a mattress with it? Crash pad to jump into? Inquiring minds are confused LOL

NavyVet1959
06-09-2017, 11:35 PM
This is quite an interesting topic because I cannot figure out WHY? a person would want more than a hand full of dryer lint.

Even a sandwich size ziplock... let alone a bread bag full... but...A "pile" that requires lawn size/"drum container" bags is beyond my way of thinking.

Is there some sort of "value"?

His profile says that he's in Ohio... THINGS are smaller up there, ya' know... :)

funnyjim014
06-11-2017, 02:21 PM
All I say is WHY. We are all dying to know. I have used the egg Carton and wax trick before but don't see the need for that amount. Maybe some sort of insulation for livestock? I would sat not as its very flammable. Or does he have a pet mouse that he puts it in the bottom of the cage. Does the smell of it keep Deer out of flour beds?

bbs70
06-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Mixed with tannerite?