PDA

View Full Version : Glock Slide Stop Release Problems

Lefty Red
06-08-2017, 01:17 AM
Got a great deal on an older Gen 3 G26. Great trigger, don't really think it's been used , just throw in a drawer and forgotten.

Anyways, the first 200 rounds through it and I had several FTF due to the slide locking back. I thought I might have been hitting the slide stop release, but I wasn't. Thought it was a bad magazine, but its happen one new mags and at different round counts. So now I'm thinking equipment error. The slide is even locking back by just racking the slide, with no magazines. And no, I'm not riding the slide forward either.

After breaking down the G26 and cleaning it, I noticed the "spring" of the slide stop release is like this after about ten racks of the slide. The slide stop release was correctly installed and everything worked good for about ten racks of the slide. Here is a picture of the slide stop release being "excited".
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/8e7a5ba9be0131b6940b644d71f7a9ad.jpg

Here is the photo of the spring being WAY to the right and not inclined.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/125a161f52339f2f073e404e9900e741.jpg

I thought it was a bad part, so I replaced it with an extra I had. It's doing the same thing.
So what is causing this?

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty Red
06-08-2017, 01:27 AM
Ok, I think I know what was pushing the "spring" of the slide stop release over. It was the top pin. But why is this one doing it? It's an older Gen 3, 99' according to Glock. Has that great 4.5# trigger! Anyways, I have owned several Glocks and NEVER had the spring have to be depressed to get the top pin in.

Is this an known issue with the older Gen3?

Lefty

RasKebir
06-08-2017, 03:05 AM
Check that the Old Open spring runs under the locking block pin.
Before inserting the third plug, you must push down the Hold Open spring.

06-08-2017, 03:11 AM
Push the larger pin (trigger/bottom) out and put your slide lock in place, making sure the top of the slide stop spring is resting UNDER the top (locking block/smaller) pin. Then put your trigger pin back in. You will have to wiggle the slide stop for the trigger pin to go in. Resist the temptation to bang the trigger pin in with a hammer! Just wiggle the slide stop and push in on the trigger pin at the same time and you will be back in business.

If you put the pins in the wrong order and hammered the locking block pin, you may have sheared part of the spring leg off and the spring is jumping over the locking block pin causing your malfunction.

Lefty Red
06-08-2017, 09:14 AM
This isn't my first Glock! I mean I quit using hammers to drive home the pin last month! LOL [emoji23] But I understand what you are saying. Seen TOO many people use force to get the pins in.

Had several Glocks in different sizes and calibers. But his is the FIRST time the spring has ever caught on a pin for me.

Going to call Glock today and see if their is an upgrade or something. Sure there was since the pistol is from ''99.

At first I thought there was a difference in slide stop levers But I can't find anything on that. Even tried a release from a Gen2 and Gen4, but all are doing it of I don't hold the spring down while putting in the locking block pin.

Well, heading to the range with a couple hundred more rounds. Will see.

Lefty

HATCH
06-08-2017, 09:55 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/8e7a5ba9be0131b6940b644d71f7a9ad.jpg

your missing the top pin or at least in that photo

Lefty Red
06-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Actually, it's in there. Just bad lighting.

HATCH
06-08-2017, 10:03 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/2ce63e60e7594af88a008e8646a38e22.jpg

Make sure the spring is under the top pin

What I do is install the top pin first.
Slide the slide release in and line it up in the hole then install the larger bottom pin

HATCH
06-08-2017, 01:27 PM
So was that the problem???

HATCH
06-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Here is the exact problem.

Your picture

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/9e9c6717bf51235a9a531713f12e8d3a.jpg

This is how it's suppose to look.
This is my carry gun

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/c18220b9f5f31ce02d404bb91eec6775.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/83d0f75c3749cc660c84710682d2fe92.jpg

Notice in the second picture the spring can be seen sticking out under the smaller top pin.

HATCH
06-08-2017, 01:43 PM
It is caused by installing the slide stop and larger lower pin before installing the smaller top pin.
You are then forcing the smaller pin in and it pushes the spring out and bends it.
244 told you the exact problem in the post before but you said it wasn't your first Glock.

Lefty Red
06-08-2017, 02:05 PM
I have always installed the trigger pin first, then the top block pin on all of my Glocks. This is the first one where the slide stop lever's spring extended so high that it interfered with the top pin and causing the lever to effect the action of the pistol.

Yes, I know it's not suppose to go off to the side. That is why I was perplexed. I really though that maybe there was a difference in the lever from generations since I had put a new one in.

Anyways, Glock said that some of the early G26s required that the spring be watched and pushed down for the top pin to get in. So I wasn't losing my mind.

200 rounds and the spring is still flush to the side and no malfunctions.

Lefty

HATCH
06-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I have always installed the trigger pin first, then the top block pin on all of my Glocks.

Well I am not gonna say you are doing it wrong because the Glock armory manual does not specify which is first.
What it does say is this
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/d563038e31fc227996d000bb7f9476dd.jpg

Based on your pictures I would say that it didn't snap back.

Save yourself the headache and install the top pin first.
I own 5 blocks right now and owned 5 others that I sold over the years.
I have never ran into the problem you had because I install the top pin first.

Lefty Red
06-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it does seem to not matter enough to Glock to say which one goes in first. I was shown and trained by my departments armorer and that is the way I was shown. Never had a problem until now. So......

Lefty

Lefty Red
06-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Well I am not gonna say you are doing it wrong because the Glock armory manual does not specify which is first.
What it does say is this
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/d563038e31fc227996d000bb7f9476dd.jpg

Based on your pictures I would say that it didn't snap back.

Save yourself the headache and install the top pin first.
I own 5 blocks right now and owned 5 others that I sold over the years.
I have never ran into the problem you had because I install the top pin first.

Maybe I'm not conversing well today.

1) I had a slide stop lever's spring twist to the side and cause a malfunction.
2) I looked and knew what caused it.
3) I wondered what did it.
4) I discovered the spring on this Glock extends so far up that it interferes with the top pin when putting it in.
5) I just depressed the spring s little when I put the pin in so it doesn't cause a problem.
6) called Glock and they confirmed the actions.

What I did not state was the spring snapped back flush. I had to take the pins out and repositioned the lever. It's stayed in place, like every other Glocks lever spring, and will continue to.

Thanks for the info.

HATCH
06-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Well glad it's fixed

Bigslug
06-09-2017, 04:15 PM
I have always installed the trigger pin first, then the top block pin on all of my Glocks.

There's your problem right there.

Glock teaches that the locking block pin (the smaller of the two) is always the first one out, and always the first one back in.

The spring on the slide stop is supposed to be underneath the locking block pin, which tensions it to snap downward, not up as you were seeing. Proper order of reassembly is:

1. Trigger mech. housing and trigger bar.
2. Locking block.
3. Locking block pin.
4. Trigger mech. housing pin.
5. Slide stop lever, by sliding it in from the rear ensuring that the wire spring stays below the locking block pin.
6. Trigger pin from the right side of the frame. You need to push the slide stop lever slightly forward and lift its rear against spring pressure while doing this to get the hole properly lined up.

If you get that spring on top of the pin, you'll get slide lock every single shot. If the end of the spring breaks off or the locking block pin cracks in the middle and the left side falls out (more a problem with Gen 3 .40 and .357 guns), there's nothing to tension the spring and the lever will be floppy, causing intermittent slide lock.

Lefty Red
06-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Never had a problem installing the pins before this particular Glock, nor had problems with the lever's spring being effected by the top block pin.

I was trained, by a Glock armorer, to install the pin on a certain way. Been good for me for 15 years. Will continue to install them this way.

Lefty