PDA

View Full Version : Consolidation? Is it really possible?

arlon
06-07-2017, 12:42 AM
Since there isn't a generic forum, I'm picking this one just because I looked at the box of moulds I have in my garage.. A big box..

I spent half the evening reading ONE post. It really made me think until my head hurt. Is consolidation really possible?

I read Texasflyboys post "75,000 Wadcutters in a Model 27". No post has got me thinking more than that one. Seriously, 75k rounds through one gun? Really, what's the fun in that. I have 75k rounds spread out through 50 handguns and 7 calibers. "Variety is the spice of life"! Or is it? It was VERY timely that I posted a rant on "accumulators" vs "collectors" on a S&W forum.

I'm an accumulator. I hate to pass up a "bargain". I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. I got that Texasflyboy is a master of ONE. He is a master of that 5" 27-2 S&W. I don't know what else he owns but that was enough to have me thinking. I have accumulations of .44 mags, .380's, 9mm, .22's (maybe don't count), .38/.357, .41, .45 and random Contender barrels....... I'll exclude protection guns (that, you should have only one of and be a master of it). I notice out of several choices, when I head to the range I spend half an hour deciding what to take. I spend another half an hour deciding which bullets to take. I spend another half hour trying to remember which loads I liked the best. I can't imagine how liberating it must be to pick up a box of bullets (the same bullets), one gun and go SHOOT!

I have to try a dozen bullets for every caliber. If I could just settle on ONE (ok, maybe two) bullets for each caliber (fewer calibers would be a good thing too) I could pay for 20 years of lead, powder and primers just by selling the seldom used molds. I really love the concept of one or maybe two loads for maybe a few calibers. I have to have some variety but seriously, how much variety do I need for making holes in paper?

I really need to look at my accumulation. It reminds me of the idea of turning your clothes hangers around. You do that and at the end of a year, you see which one got used. Get rid of the ones you haven't used in a year. THAT post had me realizing I've been way more focused on quantity than quality. One nice gun instead of a half dozen half assed ones. One nice mold instead of half a dozen cheap ones...

Sorry if this comes off as a rant but it does have me thinking about my MO... I'm sure there aren't many in my boat but if you're treading water like I am, you might think about actually getting someplace by swimming.. (-:}

Could I consolidate my shooting to one handgun and one rifle? Hmm, a .357 and a 30-06 might do it. Or maybe a .222 and a .41....

acoop101
06-07-2017, 12:54 AM
I have started down that same path, I was buying all the guns I could when I first got into shooting but now I have really settled into just a couple of guns and I have been considering liquidating the guns I haven't shot in the last two years to liberate the capital for other hobbies and or reloading supplies.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Gaseous Maximus
06-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Arlon ,danged if I know, but I would seriously like to know what you decide. The reason being, I'm in a similar boat myself, not quite as big, but still plenty roomy.

arlon
06-07-2017, 01:24 AM
Arlon ,danged if I know, but I would seriously like to know what you decide. The reason being, I'm in a similar boat myself, not quite as big, but still plenty roomy.

Maybe I'm not the only one that that accumulates and can't let go of stuff I know I'll never use.. It's going to be a challenge. I'd love to walk into the next gun show with 4-5 half assed guns and walk out with one really nice one.. We'll see how it plays out.

Reddirt62
06-07-2017, 01:47 AM
I have managed to downsized some by selling all my .40 and 357 now thinking hard about dropping 300bo. Not sure if I will go further but it IS a bit liberating. But to go all the way to one? Don't think that is possible for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

arlon
06-07-2017, 02:14 AM
I have managed to downsized some by selling all my .40 and 357 now thinking hard about dropping 300bo. Not sure if I will go further but it IS a bit liberating. But to go all the way to one? Don't think that is possible for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
LOL, I have to agree that one is NOT a possibility but I could see myself dumping the .44 and focusing on the .41, the .380 for 9mm, the .308 for 06.. That would still be a start. Several nice guns in the same common caliber might be better than a dozen lesser guns in a dozen calibers. I can see some consolidation in my future!

reed1911
06-07-2017, 02:55 AM
I just make myself feel better by watching prices over time steadily rise. (excluding the 1-2 year blips of mass rise). All those orphan guns and molds are just money in the bank to be taken out and used occasionally or just petted, cleaned, and memories re-visited.

bedbugbilly
06-07-2017, 07:37 AM
A good thread . . . . and you aren't the only one in the same boat. I've been shooting for round 55 years. I am a self confessed "accumulator" as well. It's just in the past several years that I have begun to "downsize" and am still struggling with it but it has to be done.

My wife and I just moved from our house of 40+ years in to a condo. That move made me get rid of a lot of things - tools, lawnmowers, etc. that I no longer need. It was only when I began to pack up my reloading / gun stuff that I began to realize just how much I had accumulated. Now, I will shortly be working on setting up a new reloading area at the condo - can't decide whether to use the garage or the basement but I'll figure that out once I get started to get organized here - we've only been in the condo a week and are still "settling in". Brass? I know I have way too much in a lot of calibers. Dies? Why or why do I have so many and some for calibers I don't even load? Molds? Like you, I could never pass up a bargain and the fun was trying a number of different ones in different calibers - and now - most sit unused but I still keep them "just in case".

One of the things that is motivating me to "down size" is that I realize if something happens to me, my wife knows nothing about any of it and most will go for little or nothing. Soooo . . why not get rid of un-needed things now and get a fair value out of them and use the money for better purposes - like taking the wife out for dinner or letting her buy more yarn for her addition?

Nope . . . you're not alone and we all suffer from the problem to one extent or another! :-)

silverback13
06-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Some times I think we are all in the same boat. I have consolidated one or twice in my life but then the caliber_war in my head, hunting or self defense conditions, etc get me going in another direction. I keep what I have unless selling one/ -trading one allows a new addition.

I have always believed in the old adage (beware of aperson with one gun). My problem has been which one. I have finally settled on my guns and calibers. Now it's time to sell the other to consolidate and use new funds to acquire more powder brass primers and or stash of ammo. This journey has taught me how to shoot and or a working knowledge of several different styles of weapons. It has been fun.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

HATCH
06-07-2017, 08:26 AM
At one time I loaded for 14 or 15 different calibers.
For the most part it was the same gun just different calibers. Stainless N frame with 4 or 5 inch barrel

I figured out last year, after my dad got rid of most of his guns, that I didn't need so many different calibers.
I really never shoot some of them.
As far as bullet profiles go, from the beginning I focused on mostly one style per caliber. Flat Point Round Nose.
I use a Magma Master Caster and magma molds.

There is a couple of exceptions, on 38sp/357 mag, I do cast a 105 grain WC and I cast 2 different bullet weight FPRN (125/158).
On 40 cal, I have the same mold (180 TC magma) twice that I had Eric HP one mold so I cast a 172 HP and a 180 std. Both have the same overall profile and both I shoot with the same powder load.

Thumbcocker
06-07-2017, 08:54 AM
I have taken a different path. I have several examples of several calibers but am slowly focusing on a "standard" load for each cartridge.

alamogunr
06-07-2017, 09:04 AM
I'll be watching this thread to see how others address this problem. I'll be 75 YO next month and there is no way I will ever shoot half the guns I own or cast with half the molds I've got. The guns will go to my sons before I go to my reward but the molds are something else. I don't think they will ever be interested in casting and would probably either scrap them or sell them for pennies on the dollar.

I have accumulated other "stuff" that I need to dispose of too. I have lots of books but only a few that I go back to and read again.

It is very easy to get paralyzed to inaction when contemplating downsizing. Maybe seeing what others do will spur me on to action.

lightman
06-07-2017, 09:17 AM
I don't know the answer to this, but I suspect that the answer will boil down to personal taste. I have several guns that I don't shoot but that I will never sell because they were inherited. I sold several a few years ago that I bought, shot, enjoyed, and then lost interest in.

With bullet molds, I have tried to keep it down to 1 or 2 for the calibers I cast for. I have more 45 molds than anything else. One of them will probably be sold, one was inherited and will always be here and one that I use.

Same thing with reloading equipment. A few years ago I sold all of the die sets that I no longer had guns for and all of the extra equipment that I had accumulated. I did the same thing with a bunch of brass.

psweigle
06-07-2017, 10:01 AM
That's why I picked 357 magnum, 9mm, 25 ACP, and soon 327 federal magnum. The 9mm,38's,& 357's all use the same molds. The same will be true with all the 32 caliber stuff. The 25 ACP is just because I'm a big fan of the little cartridge. So, to sum it up, I will be able to shoot 25 ACP, 32 s&w 32s&w long, 32h&r 327 federal magnum 32acp 38 spl 357magnum. All from 3 hand guns and 3 rifles with maybe 10 different molds. But I'm not no where near ready to do that. I sure do like having the bulk of my shooting and reloading go 357 magnum because most of my firearms are in that caliber.

Whitespider
06-07-2017, 10:14 AM
I have taken a different path. I have several examples of several calibers but am slowly focusing on a "standard" load for each cartridge.
That's been my "consolidation" plan over the last few years... one boolit, one propellent, one primer, one load for each cartridge regardless of the number of firearms chambered for it. In some cases even one boolit for various cartridges of same diameter... for example .32-20/.32 Mag/.32 S&W. And, where possible, one propellent/velocity level for several cartridges of the same (for lack of a better word) "class"... for example, using 2400 in the 1150-1250 FPS range for the .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt Ruger. I'm using W231 for both the .38 Special and .357 Mag with the same boolit, just at different velocity levels. And I've completely stopped using gas checked boolits in all pistols/revolvers... and have pretty much given up on bevel-base boolits.

I've been selling off the molds I've never used or no longer use (such as the gas checked, bevel based, and ultra heavy/light).

I'm currently using cast boolits in only a couple rifles; but same plan, one boolit, one load including those using jacketed bullets.

I've also "simplified" my alloys down to two basic ones... straight COWW or a 50/50 COWW/SOWW (both with a bit of tin added until I run out). I do have some Lino and some "hard cast" stashed back if I'm ever in need of a "special purpose" balls-to-the-wall load requiring a harder alloy.

Of course, this "consolidation" plan does require some amount of compromise... for example, finding the boolit diameter that works across the various platforms (yet, may not be optimal for every one) or boolit weight a bit on the heavy side for one cartridge and a bit on the light side for another. On the other hand, once the boolit/load is developed the reloading dies can be "locked down" and it's just a matter of screwing them in and out of the press to reproduce the load.

I enjoy casting and reloading, but I enjoy shooting more... simplifying (or consolidating) the casting/reloading aspect leaves more time and emphases on the shooting. Next, I need to figure out a way to use up all those partial canisters of propellent (some no longer available) I've accumulated over the years experimenting with endless combinations... maybe a "fire" sale :p

OS OK
06-07-2017, 10:33 AM
I've seen many firearms in calibers that I don't cast/load for...have been tempted many times, especially pistols and revolvers.

But...the 'Practical' side of me always wins out.
My 'question' I always ask myself is this..."Am I willing to purchase dies and moulds to support that new caliber?" The answer is always no...I have enough calibers and the lust for a new fangled weapon always passes too...I have life long favorites to shoot and plenty of those to keep me busy.
Besides...I don't know anyone who got a new weapon and instantly became a better marksman...prolly 95% of the weapons we currently own have always/will always out shoot our abilities anyway...

RogerDat
06-07-2017, 11:06 AM
I've seen many firearms in calibers that I don't cast/load for...have been tempted many times, especially pistols and revolvers.

But...the 'Practical' side of me always wins out.
My 'question' I always ask myself is this..."Am I willing to purchase dies and moulds to support that new caliber?" The answer is always no...I have enough calibers and the lust for a new fangled weapon always passes too...I have life long favorites to shoot and plenty of those to keep me busy.
Besides...I don't know anyone who got a new weapon and instantly became a better marksman...prolly 95% of the weapons we currently own have always/will always out shoot our abilities anyway...

I'm in the practical camp. The firearm, casting and reloading equipment are tools. If I'm going to buy an new tool I have to have a need that an existing tool won't fill. If I need to supply it with bullets that means I need to purchase dies, molds, brass, and powder to provide those bullets. Does tend to focus one on buying same caliber. That doesn't mean I won't accumulate a few different molds in the search for what "works". And unless it simply won't shoot worth spit I'm not likely to sell the mold. In general I think my goal is a light & heavy projectile in each caliber. Maybe a wad cutter (or two) for the pistol calibers.

I have what I "need" so now it is always a choice of how to spend the amount I can budget to my hobbies. A bolt action .223 will win over a lever action 30-30 because I already can supply .223 ammo and bolt action with scope provides functionality that a mini-14 ranch rifle does not. A lever action in 38/357 wins over a 40 S&W for the same supply reason. But I don't need an assortment of chambers to stick the same cartridge into unless they add something functional. Fun is a function by the way.

I know what I want and will delay gratification but won't wander too far from my chosen path either. Why would I want to organize 20 different bullets in .358? I need and have a couple weights of WC, a SWC 158 gr. and still need something light weight for my wife. Say 105 or 125 gr. One ammo box with 5 bags, 5 loads in 2 powders, makes life, storage and budget less confusing. If the bullet looks like that then the load must be ____. Not to say I won't experiment :-) but the goal is most bang for least buck and least hassle.

Whitespider
06-07-2017, 12:09 PM
...I have enough calibers and the lust for a new fangled weapon always passes too...
Yeah... "new-fangled" don't do it for me so the temptation ain't really there for me.
I'm a "blue steel and wood" guy... stainless steel, synthetics, laminates, and whatnot just don't look and feel right on a firearm to me. And I flat don't care for all the gadgets, gizmos, and "safe-action" triggers... especially all those sights they put on pistols and revolvers these days that remind me of glow-worm fishing lures.

That's not to say I don't own any stainless or synthetics... but the percentage is extremely minimal. I just don't find the "new production" firearms enticing, or tempting... they sort'a turn me off.
I also have my own ideas about handguns... a handgun should be comfortably portable in a belt holster. So, for me, that means most of the "super magnums" have no appeal. A N-frame sized double-action revolver with a 5-6 inch barrel is about the limit... a 7½ Blackhawk stretches that limit but I will tolerate it on a single-action (still preferring a shorter barrel). I love the look of a blued, full-sized 1911, with walnut grip panels... any auto pistol larger than that in any dimension (even a double-stack magazine sized grip) would cause me to cringe. I have no desire to own a Glock or any of the derivatives... they just ain't "right" in my opinion.

But I'm a sucker for the classic look of older firearms. It's near impossible for me to walk away from a well cared for older firearm in blue steel and walnut... I rarely go to gun shows anymore, I'm too easily parted from my money.

gwpercle
06-07-2017, 01:19 PM
"Variety is the very spice of life that gives it all it's flavor !"
What fun would only having one gun and one mould be ?
I guess you wouldn't have to decide what gun to take to the range.
Gary

arlon
06-07-2017, 01:57 PM
"Variety is the very spice of life that gives it all it's flavor !"
What fun would only having one gun and one mould be ?
I guess you wouldn't have to decide what gun to take to the range.
Gary

I'm not down for one gun but I'm down for consolidating loads and guns I really don't use. I would love to trade the stack of old impulse buy guns for one or two really nice ones in a caliber I already load for and at least would use. I guess at my age (61) I'm just getting past the quantity thing and would really like more quality. I'm also feeling recoil more. Smaller calibers are looking better! I'm appreciating less drama and more simplicity..

Calamity Jake
06-07-2017, 02:19 PM
I have three(3) safes the size of a fridg. there all full!!! enough said!!!

dverna
06-07-2017, 02:50 PM
My "awakening" happened as I began to prepare for SHTF. I have sold over twenty guns and the stuff that went with them. More to go.

It is really very easy to do if you are analytical. Nothing wrong with keeping guns you like but understand they are not needed and plan accordingly.

Same with molds. I load the bulk of my pistol ammunition on a 1050 and some on a 550. I see no reason to worry about having the best load for every gun of the same caliber. I have 5 guns that shoot .38 Spl and one load works well in all of them. KISS But none are used for self defense. If I did, I would need 100 rounds a year and cycle them to keep them fresh.

I do that with the 9mm and .40. Cast bullets for practice are loaded on the 1050. I will change over for SD ammo, crank out 1-200 , then set it back up for cast. Load development boils down to finding a cast load that shoots to same POI as SD rounds. So far, so good.

MT Gianni
06-07-2017, 03:01 PM
I cull the herd every so often. A few years ago I decided to consolidate down to four rifle calibers. I now cast and shoot for only 22, 7mm, 30 and 35 rifle calibers. I would be foolish were I to restrict my pistols to such at this stage of my life but I was OK with rifles. Now down to just 222, 223, 7x30, 7x57, 280, 7mm Rem Mag, 7.62x39, 30-30, 308, 30-06. 300 Win Mag, 357, 357 Max, 358, 35 Whelen and muzzleloaders. It seems more when I write them down. At age 63 this month I figure 22 more years of shooting max. At the halfway point it will be time for another major thinning. When I can no longer shoot and enjoy handguns as much as I currently do they will go as well. I witnessed my folks die with too much stuff.

dragon813gt
06-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Yes, it's possible. But one has to actually make the decision. I could easily settle on 35 caliber for both handguns and rifles. They all use the same molds. And they work well for hunting and self defense. Just waiting for a viable 35cal wildcat for the AR15 platform. And by viable I mean you can actually buy barrels and dies.

mold maker
06-07-2017, 03:50 PM
You guys use too much logic. I've spent a lifetime accumulating this hoard, and at just 75, I ain't done.
I'll be looking forward to the massive sales of your guns with all the support items.

danmat
06-07-2017, 03:57 PM
I have had our disease since childhood. Fueled by outdoor writers and every biography of Boone,Crockett etc. in the elementary library. I remember like yesterday at 18 heading to the local gun shop where one of my friends mom worked and putting my first every thing rifle on lay away, Winchester mdl. 70 30.06 and new Weaver wide view 3x9 in redfield jr. mts., hey O Conner said.
So for the last couple years looking at my accumulation I decided I was tired of cleaning all this stuff I never used. I have always shot everything I bought at least once, sold a couple that were just to nice to keep shooting to collectors. I found myself regretting passing on all those nice oldies for the latest greatest flattest shooting this or that, did not have the budget for both most times. My son and grandkids have the bug also, I convinced him finally to spend the money on a nice safe. I talked to my wife and decide why wait till I am gone to enjoy the things I want them to have, He loves to bird hunt and I do not do much anymore, next time they were at the house said I got some things for you and the kids. I started unloading, first his maternal grandfathers guns who he was close to but passed when he was about 9, then my Browning auto 5 and doubles always his favorites, about 20 total. I had kept some back for my other Grandson, and rifles I still hunt with. Filled my large safe back up with the guns I had not had room for. I started selling those I had bought because it was a deal, or good investment, took that money putting it into fun stuff to shoot like case colored octagon lever actions in 22 and pistol cals. and single actions, kids love shooting them, all the things I liked but passed by when younger. I still have way to much stuff but im shooting them and enjoying them. I am not saying my way is best for everyone but when im gone I have a plan so there will be no chance for family problems for my wife to deal with over my stuff. I also have some more money for my new casting bug that you good folks lead me into, pun intended.

JMax
06-07-2017, 04:09 PM
I am just on the south side of 70 and have started culling the heard. I now cast only with 4 rifle bullet molds, hundreds of # of bullet metal, have a life time supply of pistol bullets on hand, plenty of shot, wads and hulls so reloading is taken care of. I trimmed my M1 collection to one, my 03 collection to one, sold off the carbine and mini 14, several 22's, a number of handguns and am down to two safes full of guns. I started a list of my reloading tools, bullets, powder, primers plus my extensive collection of tools with suggested sale prices along with the firearms and their values. That way my wife and kids will get fair value when I pass. Otherwise I will keep my selection of firearms and enjoy them.

dverna
06-07-2017, 04:51 PM
JMax makes a good point. Those of you who do not have kids in the sport need to prepare so your family can realize the value of your stuff when you pass. I have been asked by my friend to help his wife...they have no children, brothers or sisters.

It takes a lot of effort and time to sell everything off. Bear that in mind. My buddy wants me to have his Silver Sietz but I will sell it and give the money to his wife.

BAGTIC
06-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Does anyone remember who said "Beware the man with one gun"? Whelen"

How about "Beware the man with one gun".

RogerDat
06-07-2017, 05:13 PM
JMax makes a good point. Those of you who do not have kids in the sport need to prepare so your family can realize the value of your stuff when you pass. I have been asked by my friend to help his wife...they have no children, brothers or sisters.

It takes a lot of effort and time to sell everything off. Bear that in mind. My buddy wants me to have his Silver Sietz but I will sell it and give the money to his wife.

I have enough kids and grandkids to pass on the firearms but lead and alloys not much chance they will use it. When I had to go in for surgery recently I reached out to a couple of members here that I have been lucky enough to call friends to ask if they would assist my wife in disposing of casting material if things went badly. They didn't want to take anything either, I pointed out it wasn't a commission it was a bequest, be good to know friends are getting some use out of that lead and tin I scrounged. And considering I know there is over a ton to dispose of that sure qualifies as enough work to make me want to see them go home with some goodies. Without help my wife wouldn't know the difference in value between 30# of pewter and 30# of COWW's in a bucket. But then I can't bake worth a darn so it evens out I guess.

I'm still adding "stuff" but the older I get the fewer "projects" I am up for dealing with. More and more if I can't use it right now or could use it if I fixed it up I'm just not going there. I have enough "projects to do" on shelves or in corners that I'll have to live forever just to get them organized let alone done. I'm getting good at restraining myself too. Drove right on past an estate sale last weekend, think it might have caused my wife to worry I had early onset dementia.

dverna
06-07-2017, 05:29 PM
RogerDat,
I did the same thing. Tons of garage sales during the long weekend and never stopped at one.

I can barely move around in my shop or garage. I cannot find things I know I have. I have "lost" two guns in the junk. Nearly filed a police report on one. I am not putting up another building to store stuff I will never use

At 66, I have 10-15 years left to enjoy this affliction. Another reason I started culling the herd.

lmfd20
06-07-2017, 05:30 PM
358 yeti works well in the ar15 platform. Lots of power. Easy to make brass. Dies available from whidden and barrels from mad dog weapons

Four-Sixty
06-07-2017, 05:44 PM
I got into casting to shoot more, for less money.

Consolidation is the way to go. I sold four guns this year cause I did not want to take them out to the range much, or figure out a load for them. They just did not draw my attention. I took the usual suspects out this past Saturday and was buoyant from that trip to the range into Monday. I had so much fun!

If I had to start over, I'd shoot and reload 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 35 Remington and 45 ACP and be happy with just that.

Harter66
06-07-2017, 07:27 PM
My problem is that I bought a rifle, pistol and shotgun for each of 4 kids . 1 is in Washington ,1 in CA , 2 in KY 1 in legal owner limbo and 1 in the service . I'm raising 2 grands so you know they need to have a set .
I'm relocating from the land of 300 yd zeros above the tree line 3-5 miles back to the truck to I parked the truck in the barn an walked 100 yd to the stand to shoot a 150 yd max clear cut . From a 5 duck ,3/3 goose limit on big water (I'm talking 600,000 surface acres) to a field set with no limits on snow geese . So I'm crossing over from an 06' as a minimum cartridge to a 30-30/35 Remington is plenty and a 3 shot mag extension on 3 guns is a good start when an old beater double has wanted for a 3rd shot about 6 times in 20 yr .

I made a serious effort to par the moulds down to 2-3 per cal . Thats not easy when you have 380,38NP,38 Special,357 and 358 Win . I sure like shooting that LBT 403 175 but the Lee 401-175 casts 3x as many bullets and actually only shoots about 1/4" bigger at 25 and less than an inch more at 50 yd ..... Which 1 would you let go ?
The 45s should be easy right ? All in revolvers so the 454424 is a no brainier except at some point I needed companion rifles and the OAL is a little fussy in a ACP rifle but no problem in Colts or Schofield . What possession took over when I bought a 45-70 I have no idea but the pigs are possibly huge and a bear might want the gut piles before I'm done with them in Arkansas so that's probably it . So there's 6-7 moulds .
30 cal ? Just rifles but bores run from 300x308 to 305x3165 , I have a 308291 to paper for the fat bore in the SKS and Arisaka from broke guy under market . The 301618 is nice for go fast and shoots well in all but 1 but is no good for game the way it shoots best and the bullet that makes a great game bullet in the 1-8.5 06' doesn't shoot for beans in the 308 or 30-30 .

I did sell a rifle a month or so ago but I saved​ it from a bubba hack and put it in the hands of someone that can appreciate it and tripled my money in just 10 yr . I couldn't hind the happy place anyway ,I don't think it liked me .

I'm 50 but I've seen 100 people younger than me go that I knew well . Ms has a good handle on what things actually cost and what they are worth . The kids know what is for who and have some idea what things are worth . Note books with receipts too .

I do have it beat down to 4 powders from 380 and 222 to 45 Colts and 45-70 with a Win mag in the middle.

dragon813gt
06-07-2017, 07:35 PM
358 yeti works well in the ar15 platform. Lots of power. Easy to make brass. Dies available from whidden and barrels from mad dog weapons

Every time I go to buy either of them they are out of stock. That's the exact cartridge I want to use.

halodub
06-07-2017, 08:15 PM
As I'm a somewhat "new" gun owner, I only have a few calibers as it is, but consolidation has been one thing I have focused on from the start. For SD handgun, I use a 357Sig, and my lady uses 9mm, so thankfully we use the same caliber boolit and casting will not be an issue. I am looking into 9x25 Dillon as a home defense weapon, and 357Mag/38Spl revolvers for my first wheel gun purchases.

As far as rifles go, I am in the process of building a 6.8SPC competition rifle, as I really like the .277 projectile. I can use said projectile in .277WLV (same concept as 300BO but with a .277 boolit instead of .308), and in 270Win for when I finally get a bolt gun.

Sticking with these calibers will allow me to stock up on just two calibers, and probably only two to three boolit weights per caliber. I guess it makes it easier not having access to several other caliber weapons currently to keep myself in this frame of mind, but I'm sure as I get older, I will stray from this ideology. :)

GhostHawk
06-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Screw consolidation. He who dies with the most toys wins!

I don't expect to win that contest. But I have no desire to thin the herd either.

Somebody is going to be happy. Who that somebody is remains to be seen.

Big ticket items will go to my Grandchildren. It is what I can do.

As for the rest, we'll see how long I last, and what happens.

I do tend to when I find a combination of cast boolit and load that works well, gives acceptable accuracy to quit looking for that caliber.

Then again sometimes you find a mold that fills a need that you did not really know you had. I have been shooting my last Lee 6 cavity in several calibers including 9mm. And it has worked well. And if it goes through less lead, and is "flexible" well why not?

Its my money, I earned it. Why shouldn't I enjoy it?

When I am gone will I care what happens to it all? Somehow I doubt it.

Jack Stanley
06-07-2017, 09:49 PM
My little brother passed several years ago and I got tagged to sell his (ahem) "modest" accumulation . Since his pile was smaller than mine I've been slimming things down since then . I figure it's easier this way than my wife having to fool with something she knows nothing about . When I get so old I won't be able to cast the lead either from a gun or a melting furnace . I should be down to just the ones that have sentimental value or I have kept to give someone . Hopefully I will have a big pile of empty brass at the same time .

Jack

Whitespider
06-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Screw consolidation. He who dies with the most toys wins!
Every time I see/hear/read that statement I ask the same question...
Wins what?? And, more importantly, how do you collect it once you've died??

The rest of you guys need to quit selling yourselves short... my Dad is 81 (soon to turn 82), and he's still buying, selling, trading, and (yes) shooting. Sure... he ain't as "sharp" as he used to be... but he's still shooting just for the sake of shooting. He's still bouncing beer cans with his son and grandson... and he'll even make the occasional bet on the next shot when he's feeling like he's having an "on day".

danmat
06-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Every time I see/hear/read that statement I ask the same question...
Wins what?? And, more importantly, how do you collect it once you've died??

The rest of you guys need to quit selling yourselves short... my Dad is 81 (soon to turn 82), and he's still buying, selling, trading, and (yes) shooting. Sure... he ain't as "sharp" as he used to be... but he's still shooting just for the sake of shooting. He's still bouncing beer cans with his son and grandson... and he'll even make the occasional bet on the next shot when he's feeling like he's having an "on day".
That's awesome your dad is still going strong, In my case I am in excellent health and plan on being around a long time also.
I always expect the best but try to plan for the worst, as for the most toys I never really understood that thinking either but as I have grown older "things" don't seem as important as they use to be and consolidation and downsizing, having less worries is moving up the list.

alamogunr
06-08-2017, 11:56 AM
The only way to win in this life is to live in such a way that we spend eternity in heaven.

I am encouraged that an 81 year old man is still active. I'm only 6 years and one month away from that milestone myself. Looking forward!

rintinglen
06-08-2017, 01:05 PM
I have more guns than I can shoot. But I still have a few on my bucket list before I go.

Thundarstick
06-09-2017, 06:39 AM
What a fantastic thread!

One of my coworkers father passed a few years back while still holding a large collection of guns that they had to deal with. Fairly common guns where no problem getting rid of for a decent price, but the high dollar/collector type firearms proved to be a completely different story. They really have a very small byer pool and are much more difficult to move at a decent price. Think about this if you decide to down size for your family's sake!

Me, I've always seemed to consolidate around a cal. I have a one 22 center fire, a couple in 6.5, and added a 375 h&h to play with. All my center fire hand guns are 327 mags, but I've got a bunch of 22 lr hand guns and rifles. I just love shooting the 22 lr is just so simple and easy to grab one, step out the back door and blaze away! I have quite a knife collection though and warned my wife that should I pass before her please find someone who knows something about them before she gives them away!

I really need to sell my 12 GA reloading stuff as I only own 28 GA shotguns now days!

jmort
06-09-2017, 09:02 AM
If I had to consolidate down to one, it would be the 12 gauge. It has been many years that I have been stuck on .223, .308, .357, 9mm, 30-30 , and 12 gauge. But now there has been unconsolidation and I added .380 ACP, said I would never "go there" and back to .45 Colt. The micro .380s are just too easy to carry, and 250 ft lbs with a flat-point works for me. And I missed the .45 Colt. But that is it. I hope to stick with these 8. With the exception of the .30-30 and .45 Colt, brass is real easy/cheap to come by which is why I had those 6. I seriously doubt I will change anything at this point. When I am too old to get around, 12 gauge all the way and the 9mm/.380 if I have to go out, which is hopefully never.

Cherokee
06-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I've been downsizing guns and reloading stuff for the past couple of years, since I turned 73. But I hate to let a gun go for little dollars that I enjoyed shooting for years. I just can't shoot my 1911's very well anymore (after over 50 years of shooting) but most people want new stuff, so low prices. I like odd balls too, have a few, and there is very little market for them. So, I still have more guns than I shoot on a regular basis. Reloading stuff has been easy to sell but still have more than I'll ever use. Thinking about selling some more molds to simplify the CB supply.

arlon
06-09-2017, 06:41 PM
I have managed to consolidate in some places but then I just take any funds from one venue and apply it to another. I go to the gun show and sell a gun I don't use to buy a camera lens I don't use much more. I think my accumulation of mostly Nikon camera lenses (about 60 of them) rivals my accumulation of shooting stuff (guns, reloading gear, range gear, leather, cleaning stuff, tools, etc..). Then there are about 50 old Ambassadeur fishing reels (and other related fishing items).. At least I accumulate small things. My neighbor recently purchased an abandoned aircraft hanger to make into a place to store his cars. If he just sold the cars he hasn't driven in 10 years, he could retire 10 years sooner.

Thumbcocker
06-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Boy is that silly having to buy an airplane hanger to store your toys in. .... Sooo what does a gently used aircraft hanger go for.... I'm asking for a friend.

dragon813gt
06-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Boy is that silly having to buy an airplane hanger to store your toys in. .... Sooo what does a gently used aircraft hanger go for.... I'm asking for a friend.

Talk to Jay Leno. He has multiple hangers for his collection. There is one advantage of having one at a larger airport. Your security guard is courtesy of Homeland Security.

retrobass
06-10-2017, 09:15 AM
I think a lot of folks in our hobby, myself included, want to buy more things instead of using what we've already got. I've started almost exclusively shooting my G17, MKIII, and Savage 12. Started doing more short sessions instead of lasting hundreds of rounds once a week. My skill level has gone up a lot lately. For me personally, is all about improving skill at the end of the day. Variety is not necessarily your friend when it comes to being super proficient, imho.

silverback13
06-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Exactly!!! That is why we should limit ourselves. We don't because if all of the above. Way learn to shoot each well but not as good if we only had one or two calibers to use.

arlon
06-19-2017, 12:21 AM
Time sure has a way of changing priorities. I'm another one that has gotten rid of several .45s and consolidated on one nice 1911 in 9mm. Age has necessitated some reduction in recoil. Amazing how much more fun a .22 has become.. (-:}

rmark
06-19-2017, 05:37 PM
I've been reducing also - no more 7.5 swiss, .43 spanish or 7.62x39, the last 9mm sold recently. I decided I was reloading for too many calibers. Most were picked up on a whim and I'm trying to limit my whims :)

NoAngel
06-19-2017, 06:16 PM
I went through a great purge a few years ago. ALL handguns here are 9mm with the exception of two 45 acp's. Don't care about anything else any more. Don't enjoy shooting anything else any more. I didn't realize how much more fun it is to devote to one instead of spreading it thin. Trying to work up loads for several guns in several calibers might be fun for some but it's a headache to me. I've whittled down on rifles too. I'm about to do a little more soon.

arlon
06-19-2017, 07:49 PM
I went through a great purge a few years ago. ALL handguns here are 9mm with the exception of two 45 acp's. Don't care about anything else any more. Don't enjoy shooting anything else any more. I didn't realize how much more fun it is to devote to one instead of spreading it thin. Trying to work up loads for several guns in several calibers might be fun for some but it's a headache to me. I've whittled down on rifles too. I'm about to do a little more soon.

I'm still in that headache mode but my consolidation is working. I'd like to whittle it down to just a few sets of dies, molds and powder canisters.. I've just grown weary of the "shotgun" approach. I'm going through guns one by one, holding them, evaluating their true value, shooting some of them. I'd love to get it down to a more manageable bunch. There will still be a few rare ones that are collectors/family guns and I'll probably keep them but the "accumulation" is slowly getting trimmed way down. I've made a few trades with dealers that worked for both of us. Trading several bargain impulse buys for that one gun I've always wanted but couldn't afford is working.

NoAngel
06-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Well, you heard the ole saying "Fear the man with only one gun" ??

That's why he's so good with it. Every gun is different and learning several can be a pain. Better to be good with one than mediocre with several.

Everyone's head is wired different and mine is wired for mobility. I hate having tons of trappings that keep me static. I wish I was brave enough to sell them all, save two rifles and two handguns. They're about the only ones I shoot any way.

arlon
06-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Sometimes it's better to be a jack of all trades and a master of one than a jack of all trades and a master of none..

Smoke4320
06-20-2017, 04:46 PM
The only way to win in this life is to live in such a way that we spend eternity in heaven.

I am encouraged that an 81 year old man is still active. I'm only 6 years and one month away from that milestone myself. Looking forward!

I hope to reach that milestone myself .. but the way the body is going not so sure

silverback13
06-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Started going through the safe , guns and parts. Man its hard to think of letting go if my slicked up m92, schofield breaktop 45 colt. Such a nice round to load for and shoot. But then I can get twice as many rounds from smaller caliber. Thus is going to be tough.

higgins
06-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Years ago, before the various primer and powder shortages, I started consolidating the powders and primers I use. When I was younger and more into precision shooting I spent a lot of time and components optimizing loads even for deer hunting. When I quit hunting and starting shooting primarily at clay targets laying on the berm (or pieces thereof if using a scope) I narrowed my components to one bullet weight and one or two powders that I already had on hand for each cartridge. I load everything with Winchester primers, although I have started using CCI LR primers since the blown primer problem with Winchester primers a couple of years ago.

I load an appropriate shotshell powder in both shotshell and handgun cartridges. When I got into loading cast bullets in rifles I also used the shotshell powder in the light cast loads that I load for a couple of rifles. Handloading is just not as enjoyable as it used to be, so I'm loading to shoot not to experiment unless a component change calls for it.

I've quit accumulating, but I'm not yet ready to start selling guns I don't shoot very often. Last year I started loading cast bullets in a couple of former deer rifles because I wanted to start shooting them again, and scopes are a joy to use now after struggling with iron sights on rifles.

bullseye67
06-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Good evening,
This topic has come up a couple of times as older members of the club have passed on.
As active Bullseye shooters it seems that the 32 S&W Long is almost the perfect round, if I was only going to have ONE pistol. Easy to cast, easy on lead supply. Reloading, almost no powder is used, 1.6gr of Bullseye powder means a jug is good for 35000 rounds. Doesn't seem to matter which primer is used they all work. And it feeds better through progressive reloaders than 9mm. Most of us use Walther or Pardini pistols. Yes they are more than a "Black/Tactical plastic pistol" but like all precision tools. "They just about do all the work by themselves". (That was a favorite saying of one of my great uncles. He apprenticed as a cabinet maker and had the finest of tools.)
As far as thinning the herd...HMMM not today.
I have an almost 400ft2 reloading and gun room. I thought it would be way to big....but this followed me home and wouldn't you know it that followed me and before I knew it it was FULL!! My mold storage and casting area I keep tidy. It is in the garage and offers hours of entertainment. I have an office credenza with 2 large drawers full of molds and a small bench that I cast at. As members get older I have been given their molds and cast for them. I enjoy casting all most as much as shooting....nothing makes me feel better than another club member shooting a personal best with boolits I gave them!!!
Until they pry the molds out of my hands:drinks:

Leadmelter
06-21-2017, 08:49 PM
I am also t that crossroads. I went mold crazy once I got back into it (Thanks to this website).
Now, I am 63, under going Chemo for colon cancer, retired and time on my hands. I am just starting to enjoy the guns I worked for 39 yrs.
I am giving myself, health willing , to sort out and thin the herd. Very few young people are out there as buyers or know the history of the firearms. Glock Glock Glock
Leadmelter
MI

HangFireW8
06-21-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm about a decade past that crossroads. I decided on a mantra of "own fewer, nicer things, and enjoy them more." I started by selling a couple beaters and a nice but problematic rifle (with full disclosure) and bought myself a really nice new Kimber 84. It was expensive, but that was a really good move. It is really accurate, reliable, and the ergonomics are perfect for me. I can always grab it, or a Marlin lever, some favorite handloads and go hunting with zero thought about load development, feed reliability, or what is broken. That has been really important, because much of the intervening decade my hobbies have been sidelined by family issues, but at least I get to go hunting with my best rifles and handloads.

Next, I stopped buying beater surplus rifles. Since I sporterize them myself, each one represented a huge potential investment in time and parts money. Even though I bend bolts and finish and checker stocks myself, quality wood stocks aren't cheap, even the uninletted and unfinished ones. Rebarrelling is another big expense. Bluing is cheap enough as I do all the prep, but it's still a lot of work.

For a while I got a few more surplus rifles in great shape with good headspace (I have all the most common HS gages). That was a better plan, would have been even better if I started with that plan, but I quickly stopped buying even nice surplus rifles. I already have "enough" to keep me busy sporterizing for the rest of my life. If I ever do buy another one, it has be 1.) a fabulous deal, 2.) the same bore size as something I already own, and 3.) I'll get rid of 1 or 2 in the current herd. Since the surplus market has dried up, I've been held up at 1.), and that's OK.

So just a couple years into my fewer/nicer/enjoy goal, I was left with my current eclectic collection. I had to figure out the "enjoy" part. Some are simple. If it's collectible, the answer is easy, shoot it occasionally with a standard load, clean it really well, and put it away. Home defense, easy. Check functionality occasionally with standard factory loads, clean and keep ready.

For the rest, I needed clear goals. All my rifles are primarily hunting first and target second. My old load development goal was something like "highest velocity with good accuracy." Along the way I'd find problems with the guns themselves and fix or get them fixed, but it was just a distraction. But I did get somewhere before my crossroads. I found the stock comb height, L.O.P and pad configuration that worked best for me for Marlins, and another for bolt actions. Some of my rifles are already well sorted in that regard. I was overly proud of the progress made there.

A several year forced break from my hobby due to family issues gave me a new perspective. I had a real mess. I've never been concerned about the collector's value or missing examples in my "collection". I simply wanted a range of calibers and cartridges for all kinds of hunting. What I had was a bunch of unfinished sporter projects, and a few nice factory rifles that were still in dire need of load development. Some had one "OK for hunting" load and that was about it. Going over my old notes, I spent way too much time hopping from rifle to rifle and never really nailed down consistent results.

Now, I have focused goals. A couple of years ago I chose a small set of rifles (was 4, now 5) and the rest of the herd will just wait. They are a real mix of factory rifles, unfinished, and "finished" (they're never really finished) sporterized surplus rifles. I develop loads with just two at a time until I'm satisfied. On the rest I am completing long-delayed gunsmithing. It's been slow. I still have a lot of family commitments and interruptions. I haven't made weekly trips to the shooting range since my single days, but I'm "shooting for" at least monthly. I'm not there yet, but I'm improving. I went today.

Besides fixing gun issues, I am working on more wholistic load development. That means (to me, anyway) having a set of loads for each rifle, and knowing their trajectory at different ranges, and how the POI's differ from load to load. That means more time shooting and compiling data. As a result I've had to up my game from paper based note keeping to computer based. The transition was eased by scanning in all my old notes. Now I can pull them up from any computer (via ownCloud sharing). I have also photographed most of my old targets. (Targets from sold and rebarreled rifles may never get digitized).

I have a long way to go, but that's part of the fun. I still get overwhelmed when I think about all the rifles I have and all the time it would take to do everything I want to do. But when I look at the progress I've made over the past year, I've done a lot. The rifles that I've focused on are more reliable, more accurate, more comfortable, and better looking. I could go on and on about each one, but I've written enough already.

-HF

mold maker
06-22-2017, 11:04 AM
This thread does give me reason to consider consolidation, but I've looked at the same face in the mirror every morning, sat at the same table with the same wife , drove a new 73 Suburban for 30 years and the current 03 Dodge ever since.
What fun would it be to open the safe and see only one rifle, one pistol and one shotgun?
If I had only one mold for each, it would limit the fun of trying to improve.
Nope.
I may leave virgin molds and even a never fired gun, but when I die it won't be from boredom.

alamogunr
06-24-2017, 12:53 PM
This thread has prompted me to examine the "stuff" in the shop/reloading/casting shed. I've gotten started by selling some type-metal that had sat undisturbed for over 6 years. I'm going to be getting rid of more as I slowly reconcile myself to not having it any more. In a way I guess that labels me as a hoarder.

ghh3rd
06-24-2017, 12:57 PM
.22, .357 & 45-70

rmark
06-26-2017, 09:38 AM
'drove a new 73 Suburban for 30 years'

73 must have been a good year for Suburbans, ours was the family trailer tow vehicle for 20 years (454 cubic inches, 8 mpg). Took my driving rest in it.

Elkins45
06-27-2017, 09:28 PM
I keep talking about consolidating, but I guess it will probably only happen when I die. :)

arlon
06-29-2017, 05:36 PM
I keep talking about consolidating, but I guess it will probably only happen when I die. :)

It's a lot easier to talk about than to actually accomplish. I have just in the past few weeks sold almost $k worth of stuff on FB and Craigslist. I sold a few big items that really helped me sort and straighten my garage. Now if I could just get my son's broken car out of there I could actually use it for work space again.

The double win for me has been getting rid of some things and doing a lot of organizing in the process. I still have tons of stuff but it is much better organized. I have piles to sell, donate and then some just made it to the trash can.

Some of the consolidation has just been getting poorly packed things out of cardboard boxes and into clear plastic storage tubs. No I can at least see most of it. I've found that space consolidation using the storage tubs, I'm using about half the space for the same stuff. I also built a shelf just to fit double stacked storage containers (holds 30 large storage tubs). Consolidate, organize, sell, donate, trash.. I have now got three open work benches.