PDA

View Full Version : lee auto drum leaking

mckyboy
06-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Need help I finally gave in and bought myself a lee classic turret press, primer dispenser, and auto drum powder measure.
Got everything setup for 45 acp, cleaned the drum with alcohol put some powdered graphite through it ran a pound of win 231 through it and leaks like crazy.
Searched the net tried different things without success.
The leak is around the connecting rod.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bzcraig
06-06-2017, 09:05 PM
The new or old style?

mckyboy
06-07-2017, 12:06 AM
I just got it last week from MidwayUSA so I guess it would be new style, I think it just came out in the last couple of years.

dragon813gt
06-07-2017, 12:15 AM
My first one leaked like a sieve. Tried all the tricks and it leaked no matter what. Second one I bought doesn't leak. I firmly believe that some are just lemons. You're going to get a bunch of suggestions on how to "fix it" and I doubt any will work. Hate to say it but buy another one. That's how I "fixed" mine.

gpidaho
06-07-2017, 12:32 AM
I liked the first auto drum measure that I bought so I bought two more and planed to dedicate one to each of the turrets. At just $30 seemed like the way to go. These two both leak, one worse than the other. With some powders they work reasonably well throwing a charge within a couple of tenths, with others they are all over the place. I've had them all apart and can't see what it is that makes the one meter well and not leak and the other two be such a PITA. Gp

daboone
06-07-2017, 09:08 AM
I got Auto Deum the first day Titan listed them. So it's gotta be the old style. What are the differences between the old and new? My AD has never leaked any ball, flake or extruded powder I've used.

kmw1954
06-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Old, New? Just wonder if some aren't confusing the Auto drum with the Perfect Powder Measure. Not the same.

mckyboy
06-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Lee # 90811
It is the new lee auto drum powder measure.
Everything I can find on the forums I've been searching have great results with it only a few with leaking issues, all that have problems with leaking says it's around the drum, this one is leaking around the connecting rod just below the drive gear.

Gillie Dog
06-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Everything I can find on the forums I've been searching have great results with it only a few with leaking issues

Agreed.

Check the wiper, try a different drum, call/email Lee for assistance.

GD

dragon813gt
06-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Old, New? Just wonder if some aren't confusing the Auto drum with the Perfect Powder Measure. Not the same.

They seem to be. The AutoDrum is a single design.

Gillie Dog
06-07-2017, 03:34 PM
To date there is only one Auto Drum. 90811.

Lee has not released any changes to the housing or drum as yet, although there is supposed to have been a update to the knurled adapter but all mine are older so I have not seen that. And, they do not leak with W231.

GD

mckyboy
06-07-2017, 03:53 PM
I believe its operator error or at least I hope so.
I took the drum out and wiped it out good with a q tip, put it back together and this time I tighten the bolt more.
Filled the hopper up threw about 100 charges and only had a few grains of powder leak.

dragon813gt
06-07-2017, 05:18 PM
To date there is only one Auto Drum. 90811.

Lee has not released any changes to the housing or drum as yet, although there is supposed to have been a update to the knurled adapter but all mine are older so I have not seen that. And, they do not leak with W231.

GD

Yes, they can and do leak W231. The first one I had leaked w/ every powder I tried. I posted about it in detail. At the time everyone was telling me I didn't know what I was doing at it was operator error. That one still leaks to this day while the second one I bought doesn't. I have no clue why the first one leaks. But some of them do leak.

Grmps
06-07-2017, 05:33 PM
I believe Lee recommends dusting the inside of the housing and mating surface of the drum with graphite. I talked with Peter @ Lee and he said to snug the bolt down to where the drum starts to opperate freely on the press. I was getting HS-6 all over my press and bench, now the problem is solved

Gillie Dog
06-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Yes, they can and do leak W231.

Sorry, I should have said mine do not leak with W231, that was what I was trying to state as I was talking about my measures but typed wording is poor.

GD

dragon813gt
06-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Sorry, I should have said mine do not leak with W231, that was what I was trying to state as I was talking about my measures but typed wording is poor.

GD

Got it. I wish I knew why some leak and some don't. I'd be able to fix the leaking one if I did.

juggernault98
06-07-2017, 08:34 PM
I would say. Check the rubber washer. I found that over tightening could cause a leak. Or put the cap on. I ran mine without the cap and noticed a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAKEMASTER
06-07-2017, 10:28 PM
I haven't had an issue with mine. I just tighten the screw until its snug... but I've only used unique/700x/4198.

I can't speak for other powders.

Mytmousemalibu
06-08-2017, 10:29 AM
I have run Silhouette (Winchester Action Pistol) through mine leak free. Silhouette is very fine stuff too. I found on mine that initially the drum wasn't tight enough even though it felt tight. The screw is cutting threads into the drum as it goes in the first time and the last bit of twist to get it snug really took some grunt to get down. I tightend it till the drum was dragging and bound up and carefully backed it off till just it ran smooth. I did use a pencil and colored in the drum seat with graphite and ran some ultrafine graphite powder through it too. It works like a champ! Worse comes to worse, you can send it back and get a replacement. I buy LEE stuff through Titan Reloading and they take good care of me. I have 3 autodrums and I love them and will buy more in the future.

No Blue
06-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I have run Silhouette (Winchester Action Pistol) through mine leak free. Silhouette is very fine stuff too. I found on mine that initially the drum wasn't tight enough even though it felt tight. The screw is cutting threads into the drum as it goes in the first time and the last bit of twist to get it snug really took some grunt to get down. I tightend it till the drum was dragging and bound up and carefully backed it off till just it ran smooth. I did use a pencil and colored in the drum seat with graphite and ran some ultrafine graphite powder through it too. It works like a champ! Worse comes to worse, you can send it back and get a replacement. I buy LEE stuff through Titan Reloading and they take good care of me. I have 3 autodrums and I love them and will buy more in the future.

This is somebody that has mechanical ability/reasoning; he identified why the fastener only appears tight, and really needs some extra torque to get it tight. Leaving the last thread or so partially uncut will act like a anti-rotation deal and keep the threaded stud from loosening.

I've seen bolts and studs with a hole drilled into the side with a bit of nylon inserted. When it was installed, the threads cut into the nylon and locked it in place.

Had the same issue with my auto drum, the 3 cornered knob appeared tight, but when I pushed and pulled on the plastic side cover, there was about .010" gap between it and the body.

So I cranked on it until the gap was gone; no leaks.

mckyboy
06-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Noblue, and mytmousemalibu I think your right on I might have to tighten a little more though.
About everything I've read say not to over tighten or tighten then back off a quarter turn or so, this just gos to show they are not the same.

Kenstone
06-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Noblue, and mytmousemalibu I think your right on I might have to tighten a little more though.
About everything I've read say not to over tighten or tighten then back off a quarter turn or so, this just gos to show they are not the same.
I always thought the spring was too "stiff" and swapped it out, then had to back off on the drum screw to get it to cycle...that's when the leakage started[smilie=f:
I believe snugging up the thumb nut will stop the leakage for you
jmo
:mrgreen:

mckyboy
06-10-2017, 12:36 AM
It will be few days before I'll get to try it out again, and I do believe tightening up more will take care of it.
I am probably going to get another one and a drum kit.

gpidaho
06-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Well, since last I posted on the auto drum I've decided that my auto drums just don't work using powders like 231, TiteGroup and True Blue. I have a load I like that is the Noe 360-200-FN RG2 this bullet loaded in 38spl brass is just at max COL that works for my GP-100 and the magazine of my Ruger 77/357 and back to the point IMR 4227 powder is used. The auto drum really shines with this type of short extruded powder. No more leaks and spot on charges. One more thing to consider when building rounds that you will use a lot. What powder does my auto drum like. That's my workaround to the leaking problem. Gp

kmw1954
06-15-2017, 11:55 PM
GP, sorry to hear you're still having problems, wish I could offer more advice than what has already been given.

I'm using mine with HP-38 with next to no leaking. I would have a hard time measuring what I leak using my beam scale.

mckyboy
06-17-2017, 12:41 AM
I thought mine stopped leaking after tightening it up more, but after about 80 to 100 throughs it started again, but just a little.