PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92, are broken firing pins a problem?

44minimum
07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Over the weekend my nephew was shooting my 357 Rossi 92 when all of a sudden it stopped going bang. Several shells were cycled through and none of them displayed a hit on the primer. It's only had maybe 600 rounds through the gun, does it have a problem with weak firing pins? Are they easy to replace? Could it be anything else? I've never had it apart and am a little bit leery to do so but do possess above average mechanical ability.

mainiac
07-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Sorry for your misfortune,but i am releaved somebody on here has problems with these guns. I cant keep my .357 running! Between ejectors and firing pins, mine is apart alot! Have a gunsmith drill out your firing pin, and silver soilder a pin into it (drill bit shank). Thats what i did the last time, and it seems to be lasting. The spare parts that are out there, for these guns, are a bunch of junk, IMO. This gun aint much fun to tear down either, first time out is real intimidating!

runfiverun
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
get ahold of nate "kiowa" jones over on paco kelly's levergun site
all he works on is 92's and their clones he will give you a straight answer
on parts availability and what is necessary repairs.

Bret4207
07-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Broke mine, fixed the old fashioned way by drilling and silver soldering a new pin in.

Griff
07-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Over the weekend my nephew was shooting my 357 Rossi 92 when all of a sudden it stopped going bang. Several shells were cycled through and none of them displayed a hit on the primer. It's only had maybe 600 rounds through the gun, does it have a problem with weak firing pins? Are they easy to replace? Could it be anything else? I've never had it apart and am a little bit leery to do so but do possess above average mechanical ability.I've got three of the lil' Rossi's, 2 .38/357 and 1 in .45Colt. The two .38s are 20 years old or more and used in CAS for nearly all that time. Ain't either been fired in several years and the wife doesn't compete and the son has absconded with the .45. Broke one firing pin in that time. Replaced it with another factory pin and no problems. I do understand there might be some differences in pins between production runs... Best to contact Nate (Steve) @ Steve's Gunz (http://www.stevesgunz.com). If you feel up to tackling the project yourself, you can get instructions from Steve via DVD or look up Marauder's Rifle Tune-up Tips (http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html).

Junior1942
07-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Send either the rifle or the bolt to Steve Young at www.stevesgunz.com . There's two diameter firing pins. If yours is the small diameter one, Steve will drill the bolt face and install the larger diameter and stronger firing pin. I don't remember what he charged to do mine, but it was reasonable.

oldhickory
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Had one of these many years ago in .357 mag. Firing pin didn't break, but the pin for the cartridge carrier did. A lot of the metal in these seems to leave something to be desired.

Boomer Mikey
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Get Steve to send you his improved extractor, the reduced power ejector spring and a new firing pin... he's a good guy with more work than he can handle.

Boomer

Four Fingers of Death
08-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Sounds like those parts would be a good upgrade from my ol' cheapie, which is the one I am shooting in my avitar. $200 second hand, three years of cowboy action and plinking and it has never missed a beat apart from the screw near the loading port backing out (never tightened anything, never cleaned it, just shot the little sucker, whoops!). Its all back together now and I nip the screw up before I use it. I still haven't cleaned it, lots of oil though.