PDA

View Full Version : 380 auto how low can you go?

ronbo
07-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I have been trying to come up with a mild practice load in 380 auto for a 9 1/2 oz Ruger LCP carry pistol that will still cycle the action.

I cast some RCBS mould 90 grain lead bullets loaded with 2.2 grains of 700X powder and shot it today. It still is a hand stinger so I just loaded up some more to the Lyman starting load of of 1.9 grains 700X. If these will function it might be the ticket for plinking. I shot the 2.2 grain load in a Walther PPKS 380 and it is a ***** cat in the heavier weight Walther.

Dale53
07-22-2008, 12:04 AM
It seems that most everything we do results in a compromise. You can actually go "too light" in a handgun. Also, I realize that each of us has a different recoil tolerance level.

For me, as an example, a 642 in .38 +P is as much as I am willing to tolerate (not interested in any "Air Light" .357 magnums). I am glad that we have a choice, tho', as others feel differently.

I only have one .380 handgun - the Sig Sauer SS P230. It is NOT the lightest gun in the box but is comfortable with full .380 loads. That Ruger DOES interest me, tho'. Probably for academic reasons more than I really need one. I can see me getting one to try for a spell. It will be an interesting experiment.

I cast my own bullets and like the Lee 105 gr SWC (kind of looks like a miniature #68 H&G {.45 200 gr SWC}). It feeds well in my Sig Sauer but I haven't tried it in anything else except the Walther PPK (worked OK in that, also).

Dale53

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I've shot quite a number of "light" / "target" loads though my FEG PA-63 in .380 ACP.

The bullets ranged from 95 gn RN/TC to Lee's 105 gn SWC.

My favorite is 1.2 gns of Red Dot.

Any non-magnum small pistol primer works, I use mainly Federal.

Never a failure to cycle and groups were about 1.5 inches at 50 feet.

Bret4207
07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I can't help but wonder if a .360 round ball would work. Maybe someday I'll have to try that in my Astra Constable.

ronbo
07-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Red dot at 1.2 grains, now that's a light load. I will try it when I load some more.

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Red Dot, by design, is to be "bulky". It is designed to fill up powder space in shotshell trap load with less weight of powder.

The same weight of Red Dot will take up more case space than Bullseye, which is only slightly faster. IMO, Red Dot is a lot cleaner.

By design, a fuller case should be more consistent.

Just my slanted views ....

EMC45
08-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Ronbo, you may realize that lowering the charge weight may result in feed problems. I have a P3AT and the recoil spring is quite stiff. I went with 1.6gr Bullseye with a 120gr Lee bullet and got ejection problems. Bumped it up to 2gr and no problems at all. Snappy? You betcha! 7.5 oz. polymer handgun is gonna come alive when I pull the trigger.

Lloyd Smale
08-02-2008, 08:51 AM
just be careful loading a powder that meters as pourly as 700x down that light. Its very easy to get squib loads and with a semi auto that you fooling around with popping off a quick clip its pretty easy to ruin a gun or your eyes. id recomend you switch to something like bullseye that meters a little better unless your weighting every charge.

EMC45
08-02-2008, 09:14 AM
+1 on what Lloyd said. 700X and 800X are huge flakes! Meter badly, unless you throw every charge.

ronbo
08-02-2008, 10:47 AM
The 700x I have is older stuff as am I. The flakes do not seem that big. I load pistol rounds on a RCBS piggyback progressive loader with a RCBS powder measure. I checked multiple drops of the measure on a balance beam powder scale and they are very consistent even at under 2 grains. I am not worried about measuring at least with that measure, the Lyman or Hornaday measures I have do not work well for small charges.

Lloyd Smale
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Ive seen it just to many tmes where i though a measure was doing well and it put out a bad charge with powders like that. I wont charge any case with any powder less then 2 grains without being absolutely anal about checking them. theres only a couple powders that i would even consider using a progressive press with under 2 grains. 700x IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Its a good powder and ive had good luck with accuracy with it but the metering will bite you in the but eventualy.