PDA

View Full Version : Tuned up Hensley & Gibbs #503

FISH4BUGS
06-06-2017, 09:02 AM
I recently bought 4 4 cavity H&g moulds with handles from someone sight unseen. The one I REALLY wanted out of this group was the #503, a Keith designed 44 cal 250gr swc. I have a #251, #50 and a #130 left over, and I sold the #251 right away. I don't know about the other 2 just yet.
The #503 turned out to be a mould that would not close properly. I sent it to Erik Ohlen (www.hollowpointmold.com) for a tune up. He reset the alignment pins, machined a bit from the top of the mould and the bottom of the sprue plate to perfectly align it, and tweaked the handles for proper fit. He says it should be like new.
I will be getting it back momentarily and will test it out. For $62 dollars shipped the money is well spent.
I have great faith in Erik's work. He modified an H&G #51 for me and it now is my go to bullet for the 38/357 plain based bullet. It used to be a a bevel base and he removed the bevel base and tuned it up.
I have cast thousands of bullets with this #51 and they fall out of the mould like rain. I tend to cast in large numbers (2-3000 at a time) so a well performing mould is a necessity, as is a Star sizer.
I am hoping the #503 will be the same. I have no doubt it will be.
So Erik, many thanks.
I would suggest anyone having trouble with a mould they really like to send it to Erik. Take a look at his web site. Lots of fun stuff there.

FISH4BUGS
06-13-2017, 01:36 PM
I just got the mould back.
It feels, looks and sounds like a new H&G.
The machine work is perfect.
I can't wait to try it out.
For $62 to completely renew a classic H&G mould is a bargain!
Thanks Eric!

toallmy
06-13-2017, 03:23 PM
I sent him one of those 10 cavity project H&G wad cutter molds and he worked it over for me including opening up the beveled base and I am very happy with how it turned out .

FISH4BUGS
06-13-2017, 05:36 PM
I sent him one of those 10 cavity project H&G wad cutter molds and he worked it over for me including opening up the beveled base and I am very happy with how it turned out .
I could not agree more. He did that to my #51 bb and took out the bevel base. I have cast thousands of bullets with it without a hiccup. I have all the confidence in the world that this #503 will be the same. He REALLY worked this one over.
Seriously folks, if you have a mould that you like but it is giving you fits, put a few bucks into it and send it to Erik. He will make it work right.

williamwaco
06-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Erik rocks! He has done modifications for me and the result was excellent.

Jack Stanley
06-13-2017, 10:22 PM
I really appreciate the great work that Erik has done for me He sure knows his stuff .

Jack

FISH4BUGS
06-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Just a casting report.
Erik Ohlen tuned this mould up and I finally got a chance to sit and cast with it. Man does it put out bullets.
It took a little bit of casting and testing the variables (lead temp, mould temp, etc.) and I discovered that this particular mould likes it HOT!
If the mould is not where it likes the temp, the bullets don't fall out very easily. They are perfectly good bullets...no wrinkles.....nothing. In fact, i have to whack it a few times sometime pretty hard with a neoprene mallet to get them out. However, the hotter the lead AND the mould, the bullets start dropping out when the mould is opened. Hardly have to tap it at all.
But then comes the frosting. I always tolerate frosting of the bullets to a point. Sometimes the frosting gets actually kind of crinkled.....over the top too hot.
Cool the mould on a damp cloth down a bit and start again. That is the balance game we all play to get best bullets and best productivity.
2 casting sessions....about 1500 bullets. Still need size and lube but that's next. Then load into 44 specials.
This sure is a great hobby. My girlfriend calls it "man knitting". I get it.