PDA

View Full Version : Reenactor grade powder

RU shooter
06-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Was looking on the web at Powder Inc and others and had a question on the various reenactor labeled black powders . Yea I know there mainly for just making smoke and a bang but just what grade or granulation are these? 2F ? Or a mix of everything left after various batches at the powder mill ? I read on the Goex site that it can be used for informal target shooting . Anyone every try any of it ? Most of my informal paperkilling is on 25-50 yds so stellar consistency or accuracy really isn't needed and I'm not a good enough shot anymore to notice the difference . Thoughts ?

Maven
06-06-2017, 09:18 AM
RUs, Ask Hanshi about this or search his posts on the subject. To wit, he now uses it exclusively(?) and reports excellent results. "Jack's Battle Powder" I think is the brand he uses.

curator
06-06-2017, 12:02 PM
I have bought and used a lot of "Reenactor" grade powder. It is a mixture of all granulation from 4Fg to Fg. It works fine for reenactor blank charges that go "BANG" and make smoke but is somewhat inconsistent for serious target shooting or small game hunting. I know of a couple of guys who screen it and separate out the fines as well as sort it into grades with some success. It works just fine in my Repro Brown Bess or 1795 Springfield smooth-bores shooting bare-ball and seems to burn bit cleaner than regular Goex FFg under the same circumstances. Possibly the mix of finer granulations get it to burn a bit hotter.

Good Cheer
06-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Works just fine.

koger
06-07-2017, 04:16 PM
I have shot a case of this stuff, over several years, guy here in Ky used to sell it cheap. I would pour a can out into a glass bowl, thru a screen, ususally got a tablespoon of course chunks, either put them in another can, or break up. I put this stuff in a Goex can, won a bunch of matches with it, and some medals at Friendship. I let some buds shoot some, they thought it was Goex, had a change of heart, when I told them the truth!