PDA

View Full Version : 1874 Sharps

M.A.D
06-06-2017, 04:58 AM
My 1874 finally arrived, only thing is, when i cock the rifle, and go to set the rear trigger, it doesnt set, ive tried playing with the adjustment screw, nothing... Front trigger works with about 7 lbs of pull.. Any ideas? Am i going to have to pull the rifle apart?

rfd
06-06-2017, 06:38 AM
what brand/model 1874? shiloh? c.sharps? pedersoli? etc? didja adjust the DST set adjustment screw?

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/Double_and_Single_set_Trigger_Adjustment.htm

varsity07840
06-06-2017, 09:18 AM
Did you by any chance previously try setting the triggers before you cocked it? That can damage the triggers. The 1874 should always be at half cock before setting the triggers.

Don McDowell
06-06-2017, 09:40 AM
You should never set the triggers unless the hammer is on full cock.
Sounds like either the trigger spring is broke, or there is a small adjustment screw on some Italian rifles just behind the rear trigger that can deal you fits if it's not adjusted properly.

Bent Ramrod
06-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Take off the lower tang and inspect the triggers. The little setting spring sometimes gets knocked out of position on the setting trigger. Loosening the screw that holds it down, repositioning the spring on the trigger and tightening the screw should have it setting and snapping again.

A 74 Sharps is pretty straightforward to take apart. That's why the old timers preferred it to the 1878 model.