PDA

View Full Version : Using COWWs in 9mm with powder coat

asmith80
06-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Hey All,

New to casting, and while I think I've found the answer to my question in other posts, I just wanted to make sure I had things right in my head before I start doing this.

I've got a shipment of COWW lead coming from TheCaptain and she's claiming it's around 12-14 BHN. I've noticed a lot of guys saying they add 2% tin to their COWWs before they cast them up, I'm assuming to help with fill out and add a little hardness.

I'm planning on using this mainly for 9mm with powder coated boolits. Nothing too hot, just enough to make PF for the local matches and practice, so right around 900 fps max. I'm concerned about leading, so do I need to worry about adding in the tin for this, or could I get away with casting the COWWs as they are?

I gotta say there's so much great info on this site, but sometimes there's SO MUCH great info it can start to get you turned around and confused :smile:

toallmy
06-05-2017, 02:40 PM
I have pretty good luck with coww as is without adding tin ,I would try without first you can always add it later if needed

KenH
06-05-2017, 02:52 PM
As mentioned, the addition of tin to COWW is ONLY for better fillout of bullet. If the bullets look good, no point in wasting tin by adding to mix. The addition of tin in alloy doesn't affect leading of barrel so much. As long as the bullet is .002" or so over groove diameter, leading won't be much of an issue. With PC there should be NO leading at all to worry about. I've shot 30 to 1 mix (about 7 or 8 bhn) with a good PC, and no leading problems at all.

The little bit of 9mm shooting I've done with with a Glock 43 and 90% of that is with PC'd cast bullets - no problems what so ever with leading. I started using 127 grain, then tried some 102 grain - both shoot pretty good. Lately I've tried 158 grain SWC and Lee's round nose - both of which shoot just fine and I'm starting to like them better than lighter bullets due to milder recoil and less noise with light loads. 3 grain of Unique gets about 650 fps and cycles the Glock 43 just fine.

Have fun - and burn some powder :) :cbpour:

Virginia John
06-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Cast a few, shoot them and see what you think. I would suggest using a .358 mould. I find the .358 hug the barrel better, shoot straighter and leave less lead in the barrel. Just a thought.

Don Fischer
06-05-2017, 04:19 PM
If he powder coats them will they still lead? I have shot some PC bullet's in 9mm and 30, never a problem with lead. I've also tumble lubed and have lubed with Lyman 450 with 32 and 38 bullet's and have not had a problem. Years ago I used straight WW's without a problem. Most of the lead I have now is straight WW.

asmith80
06-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys, that was more or less what I was getting from the other posts I read, just wanted to make sure. I've been using some Bayou Bullet 124gr bullets up till this point and they measure .356. I've been getting good accuracy with those, but I've been itching to try my own at .357 or .358

fredj338
06-05-2017, 08:17 PM
IF powder coating properly, leading should not be an issue regardless of the alloy @ 900fps. I cast with mostly range scrap nowdays, never add tin unless I don't get good mold fill-out, which is rare.

AnotherNew1
06-05-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm also interested in this. And would like to be corrected if in correct. (NEW TO CASTING)
Before getting to far into this i believe you should also take the time to actually slug your barrel.
Your boolits and Bayou Bullets will be different. If you have a known starting point "Testing and such" becomes easier later????
Might save some down the road Head Aches, from what i have gathered.

Gohon
06-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Always in the past I've always cast .002-.003 over groove diameter and that prevented barrel leading whether gas checked or not. Since starting to powder coat a few years ago, I've discovered that oversized fat bullets are not necessary if properly powder coated. Casts sized the same diameter as the jacketed stuff with powder coating shoot just fine, are accurate, and do not lead the barrel. At least that has been my experience...

Only time I ever add tin to the wheel weight mix is if I'm having a problem with fill out which doesn't happen often.

rancher1913
06-06-2017, 11:59 AM
make sure the boolit fits the barrel, get the mold from mehic or noe that has no lube groves, powder coat with quality powder (not that habor freight ****), load and shoot. no tin needed and no leading. hardest part for me was crimping the boolit without causing it to be undersized.

asmith80
06-06-2017, 12:32 PM
You wouldn't happen to know which mold numbers the no-lube-grove molds are, would you? Once I get going good with this I've thought about getting a nice mold

DerekP Houston
06-06-2017, 12:37 PM
*if* you are powder coating, I've used range scrap + 1% tin with good results. The same boolits with hitek left a bit of smearing in the barrel. I size mine to .357 and works like a champ in my walther and beretta.

jcren
06-06-2017, 01:04 PM
It is fine to use lube groove bullets with pc. If you find a no groove mold that looks good to you and you have no intention of ever using lubes, by all means grab it. However, there is far more selection of proven molds with grooves, and if the stuff hit the fan, they could be lubed with grease or lard. Just a matter of what you are looking for.

Btw, Accurate molds can remove the grooves from any of his designs for little or nothing. The way he cuts them makes minor changes just a key stroke away. Just note your special request in the notes box when ordering.

mdi
06-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Not necessary to use "special" bullets when powder coating. I've only PCed a couple thousand and BHN didn't seem to matter as the PC will prevent leading on it's own. I treated the PCed bullets the same as my cast when sizing and load data...

asmith80
06-06-2017, 07:44 PM
It is fine to use lube groove bullets with pc. If you find a no groove mold that looks good to you and you have no intention of ever using lubes, by all means grab it. However, there is far more selection of proven molds with grooves, and if the stuff hit the fan, they could be lubed with grease or lard. Just a matter of what you are looking for.

Btw, Accurate molds can remove the grooves from any of his designs for little or nothing. The way he cuts them makes minor changes just a key stroke away. Just note your special request in the notes box when ordering.

That's actually a really good point. I realized I was picking up my PCd boolits by the lube groove with my hemostats so I didn't knock off any PC. Wasn't thinking about it at the time, just naturally started doing it. Might stick with a lube groove

toallmy
06-07-2017, 07:06 AM
I am not a powder coating guy but I found that a good fit and loading the round without sizing down the boollits fixed all my 9mm problems , I cast with 50/50 coww and plumbers lead . There is a sticky on setting up the 9mm witch is very helpful it goes into detail about size , case flair , seating cast bullets , and crimping . You have probably already read it but it don't hurt to mention it . Good luck in your adventure .