PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been reloading the shorter Hornady 45-70 brass?

Aeolus
07-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I called Hornady and the tech said no problems, that they shortened it to feed better with that long plastic tip they have now, but do I have to worry about it not taking up all the chamber space in a Marlin? Anything to be concerned about here? Shooting RCBS 325 gn, #45-325-FN-U with IMR 4198 and CCI 200's. New at this, thx.

R-P I get 2.1"

Hornady I get 2.03"

Using a Starrett manual.

07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Hmmmm, the only reason I can think of for Hornady having to shorten a standard length case for a bullet is that the longer standard length mouth would crimp past the break in the ogive of the "leverdemolition" bullet when seated to standard OAL length ????

As far as causing a problem for cast bullets in an otherwise standard length chamber.... don't believe so. No more so than shooting 38 Spec. in a 357 or 44 Spec in 44 Mag or 45-70 in 45-90, etc. The only "problems" may be some fouling build up at the end of the chamber which in certain load combinations can detract from best accuracy and if you crimp on the bullet groove it will cause a slightly longer bullet jump to lands.... but only by the difference in length of the two cases (.03). Overall both cited "problems" are likely not an issue anyway when you are crimping to a slightly short OAL for best functioning in the lever gun. The target will tell.

Johnch
07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I got 100 of the shorter cases
They are Hornady and were loaded with the Lever Evelition bullets

I just seated the bullets normal length and crimped ( seperate crimp die ) into the side of the bullet

Seem to shoot OK

John

Aeolus
07-22-2008, 05:31 AM
Thanks!