PDA

View Full Version : To profit by trial

Boaz
06-05-2017, 07:13 AM
James gives advice on trial .

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

USMC87
06-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Amen.

dverna
06-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Thank you Boaz. Regrettably many of us think we have wisdom and do not implore God for guidance when we need it the most. Our pride and arrogance causes us to stumble and fall when a small touch from the hand of God would steady us.

Wayne Smith
06-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Seriously, when was the last time you or I literally thanked God for a trial or tribulation? In our culture that may be a Dx of cancer, a family member in trouble, a business reverse through no fault of your own, etc. I have to almost literally pull my mind out of my boots to even think of God, much less thank Him, in these situations. To go to God in times of trouble means that you have the habit of routinely going to Him in routine matters first.

Blackwater
06-05-2017, 05:56 PM
This is another of the less popular passages in the scriptures, because it probably convicts all of us! But it's really those "unpopular" passages that are so essential to grow and mature as a Christian! There's a cynical saying in our modern times: "Life's tough and then you die!" But there IS at least a glimmer of Truth in this. The story of life is a story of our having to fight our own innate natures much of the time, and nobody really relishes doing that. But it's NECESSARY if we're to grow in faith and as Christians. SO necessary, that our Lord often makes it impossible to progress without doing so! So ... when forced, we CAN and sometimes DO face our own shortcomings, and frail understandings. But as humans, it'll never really be easy nor pleasant. Only beneficial. Which I think is one prime reason that God lets bad things happen to good people? If anyone here has it all figured out, you're a lot smarter and wiser than me, but this is one conclusion I've come to, until someone can point to something more true that I can understand.

Boaz
06-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Seriously, when was the last time you or I literally thanked God for a trial or tribulation? In our culture that may be a Dx of cancer, a family member in trouble, a business reverse through no fault of your own, etc. I have to almost literally pull my mind out of my boots to even think of God, much less thank Him, in these situations. To go to God in times of trouble means that you have the habit of routinely going to Him in routine matters first.

I have thanked GOD many times for showing me my weakness . Trial and testing we are promised to strengthen us . Do we 'enjoy' it in the process ..No . Does it build us , does it help us understand the needs of others , does it show us he is there . Adversity is the key ingredient as to who we are in his light ...consider Paul .

aspangler
06-05-2017, 09:52 PM
I have thanked GOD many times for showing me my weakness . Trial and testing we are promised to strengthen us . Do we 'enjoy' it in the process ..No . Does it build us , does it help us understand the needs of others , does it show us he is there . Adversity is the key ingredient as to who we are in his light ...consider Paul .
Consider this. We all have "Chinks in our armor." Read Eph. Chapter 6 to see what I mean.

WRideout
06-05-2017, 10:08 PM
In my day job I have had many men tell me that they are grateful for their addiction because it makes them depend on the God they would otherwise have never known.

Wayne

Wayne Smith
06-06-2017, 09:51 AM
In my day job most of my clients aren't there yet. If they were they probably wouldn't still be clients!

Blackwater
06-07-2017, 02:31 PM
WRideout, I was at a seminar once on alcoholism, and the speaker, a "recovering alcoholic" who hadn't had a drink in many years, introduced himself and said he was "very happy to be an alcoholic." Only at the end of his talk did he reference that, as I was about to raise my hand and ask him about this. I suspected the answer, because I'd heard it before, though never said quite so directly and definitively. He suddenly commented, "Oh! By the way. Some of you may have noticed when I introduced myself that I added that I was very happy to be an alcoholic. That probably struck many of you as strange, but indeed, it's true. For had I not been an alcoholic, and had alcohol and the love of it not brought me to my knees, I would never have had the reason to find the answers that I now, thankfully, have found in this life. I am SO much happier and satisfied now than I ever COULD have been, had I NOT been an alcoholic, that I truly AM grateful for being an alcoholic. I just don't drink any more, but being an alcoholic has forced me to face so many things about my own self and the world around me, how could I be anything BUT thankful and grateful for being an alcoholic?"

Truly, God doesn't "punish" us by allowing "bad" things to happen to us. He's just trying to teach us something we need to know and realize and understand more fully. He loves us enough to let us "have our heads" (in horse terms), and lets us learn what we need to know through experience, if we'll simply open our eyes to what it's all trying so hard to teach us! Is our God a loving and wonderful God, or what?