PDA

View Full Version : Caliber suggestions?

buggybuilder
06-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Friend of mine has a '85 High Wall chambered for a .32-20. It has a Douglas barrel, 1-12 twist with a 310 groove dia.
Bullets used are from a Mos and Burton mold and neither will shoot well. Using this barrel, what caliber could this be rechambered to? Or does anyone have a suggestion as to making this one shoot? He'd like to stay with this bullet dia. because he has about 7000 to 8000 bullets already cast waiting to be shot. Has shot approx. 2000 rounds thru this barrel figuring it had to be broke in. Any suggestions or help please!

psweigle
06-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Well, I guess we would need to know if the chamber was measured, and the bore was slugged. What size are the boolits, and what did he size them to, if at all. If none of these things were done, there really isn't a starting point. If you don't know how to do this, look at the stickys. This is where I learned to do it. Good luc and keep us posted.

Artful
06-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Not to be uncharitable but is he an experienced caster and
was he able to cast successfully for other rifles or pistols?
Is he seating the bullets into the leade or are they jumping?
Has he tried jacketed bullets? What weight / design are his boolets?
What kind of accuracy is he expecting? What kind is he getting?
What diameter is he sizing too? What diameter does a chamber cast show the barrel wants?
When he loads has he checked for concentrically of his ammo?

I could go on, but will await your reply :cbpour:

ulav8r
06-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Getting the bullet from the case into the rifling has a small affect on accuracy if sized and seated properly. The condition of the bore will have a greater affect, so changing the cartridge will not have much affect on accuracy. Proper bullet alloy, size, design, and lube can greatly affect accuracy, much more than the cartridge being used.

Scharfschuetze
06-06-2017, 08:51 PM
I'd also ask what his expectations or standards of accuracy are. To be honest, If I get 2 MOA from my two 32/20 rifles (Savage 23 bolt rifle and a Marlin 1894CL) I'm happy with that.

My favorite bullet for accuracy in the 32/20 in either a revolver or rifle is a 115 grain projectile cast moderately hard and sized to .312." I currently have the NOE GC 115 grain gang mould, but for convenience, I also use the Oregon Train 115 grain plain base bullet too.

Hunter2506
06-07-2017, 06:56 AM
What ever you do remember this cartridge has a max pressure of 16000 cup and you have a old rifle.
safety first.