PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic Bullet Pullers

lightman
06-04-2017, 11:34 AM
I'm looking to buy a kinetic bullet puller. Which one are you using and what do you like or dislike about it? My RCBS collet puller works great on rifle ammo or on longer bullets but not so well on the shorter pistol bullets. Thanks

seaboltm
06-04-2017, 11:45 AM
I have an old one from midway. Works good. The lighter the bullet the more whacks it takes. If you crimp tight, more whacks. Also, use a dead blow. Don't rebound. Simple physics, can't imagine working much better than another.

CraigOK
06-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Is there a design difference between brands?

Maven
06-04-2017, 12:01 PM
I use a Quinetics bullet puller and have had the same one for +25yrs. It works with cartridges as small as 9 x 18mm and as large as .50-70, but I only use it for those on rare occasions. More typically it works perfectly for pulling bullets (cast or jacketed) for .243Win. -> .45-70 and for my .38Spl. & .44mag. In short, it's an excellent product.

sparky45
06-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Like Maven, I use the Quinetics puller, had it since 1978. If you're pulling lots of bullets, get something like the Hornady Cam-Lock, you'll be glad you did. If you do use the "wack a mole" model, you can put a buffer in the base where the bullet lands and prevent a lot of dinged up bullets, I use a finger cut off a Nitrile Glove.

mozeppa
06-04-2017, 12:10 PM
i've had 4 different brands.

and ended up breaking all of them....but!....the ones with the all plastic handles seen to hold up better.

how did i break them all you ask? ....... i pulled nearly 50,000 assorted calibers from .25 acp to .500 s&w all pistol

seaboltm
06-04-2017, 12:34 PM
I put an inch or so of cotton balls in mine to protect bullet tips.

TNsailorman
06-04-2017, 12:51 PM
I use a shell holder to hold the bullet instead of the collet that came with my RCBS unit. Works much better and is faster also. james

daboone
06-04-2017, 12:58 PM
The Quinetics collect certainly simplifies and speeds up the use of a whack-a-mole.

L Erie Caster
06-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Lyman has the most comfortable grip. Other than that I don’t see much difference.

mjwcaster
06-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Use a lead ingot to hammer on.
Or the end if a large oak log works.
Something very solid makes it work better and less likely to break.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Bent Ramrod
06-04-2017, 02:50 PM
I bought a Quinetics back in the mid-70's and broke it in a week. I complained to Quinetics and they sent me a new one for free. I used that one for the next 40 years, breaking down lots of grungy factory ammo and anonymous reloads for components, and finally broke it dismantling a bunch of very old, very heavily crimped, small-caliber lead bullet ammunition.

I e-mailed Quinetics with the particulars and they asked for a photo of the broken puller for a discount on a new one. Even with the discount, the new one cost considerably more than the old one had, but I figured with inflation and the fact the old one owed me nothing, that was fine. The new one has an improved shell holder chuck, and, against Quinetics' recommendation, I got an extra, "just in case," since I had worn out almost three of the old designs before giving up and using loading press shell holders instead. The new design doesn't look like it will wear out any time soon.

I christened the new Quinetics by breaking down the remainder of the box of old ammo, and it came through it fine. Since the old Quinetics had broken off behind the handle, after the photo session, I filled the front part with lead shot and epoxy glue and now use it as a mini-deadblow hammer to loosen the collet closer on my bench top milling machine. It works fine, and I have no doubt that it will perform this office nobly for the next forty years.

Quinetics was the only one of its type on the market back then, so I didn't have a choice for the first one, but I'm perfectly happy with the brand. No reason to change.

Kevin Rohrer
06-04-2017, 03:03 PM
This has been asked many times before.

They are all about the same and work ok w/ lead bullets. Just be sure and strike it against a piece of wood and not anything denser.

lightman
06-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'm probably going to order the RCBS. You pays your money and takes your chances, right? Thats a good idea to pad the nose if you plan to use the bullets again.

popper
06-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Get a piece of PVC pipe,cheap wire cutter/stripper tool & use your press for cast. yea, the hammer type for jacketed works. I don't have one and don't need one. Actually made one from PVC pipe - it's probably around here someplace.

daboone
06-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Actually the Quinetics is different. Their collet is split so there is no need to remove the cap each and every time to set or release the case. The collet can be purchased separately and fit both my Lymans and RCBS hammers.

HangFireW8
06-04-2017, 04:44 PM
I never use the collet, unless I have no matching shell holder. A shellholder does a better job.

-HF

David2011
06-04-2017, 04:58 PM
The RCBS is a good choice with its lifetime warranty. I broke one 2-3 weeks ago and need to send it in for a replacement. The handle snapped off so I Gorilla taped a length of PVC pipe to it to finish the work in progress. Mine has a thick felt pad in the bottom to cushion bullets. Your single stage shell holders are much faster and easier to use in the puller than the supplied collets.

DonMountain
06-04-2017, 07:39 PM
The one I have used for 30 years has "LYMAN PRODUCTS" written on the handle in large letters, and then in small letters on the handle it says "QUINETICS CORP., SAN ANTONIO" and on the screw off shell holder says "QUINETICS CORP., U.S. PAT. 3646661. It has the three part domed shell holder with the O-Ring around it. It has always worked well when hitting it on an old piece of pine 2x4 laying flat on a concrete slab.

Reddirt62
06-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Just a little shorter now....but still works great! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170605/323362220db744a7765066448e96c78f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170605/2735c881207a9e09483e752de18bc054.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mdhillbilly1
06-05-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm looking to buy a kinetic bullet puller. Which one are you using and what do you like or dislike about it? My RCBS collet puller works great on rifle ammo or on longer bullets but not so well on the shorter pistol bullets. Thanks
https://www.quineticscorp.com

I suggest that you go to their website. I would download the instructions for each product, as you might purchase more than one. They also sell parts that insert into other companies units to convert to their design.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Ranger 7
06-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Have used the "Quinetics" bullet puller for 20 years, works perfectly.
All in one collet. No need to dismantle, just twist, shake and insert next round.

Snow ninja
06-06-2017, 08:02 PM
I have a Frankford arsenal one that works perfectly fine. No issues as of yet. I just smack it on a piece of 2x4.

lightman
06-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks again for the replys. Like I said, I have an RCBS collet puller with most all of the different size collets and it works great on rifle bullets or longer pistol bullets. But not so well on short stubby pistol bullets. I also have pulled many a bullet by putting the cartridge in my press, raising it up through the die opening and grabbing it with my linemans pliers. This kinetic puller will be for the bullets that either won't work with my collet puller or that are too short to reach through the top of the press.

I ordered the RCBS kinetic puller and it should arrive today.

dhenry132
06-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Buy any name brand and beat it till it breaks then buy another one

mdhillbilly1
06-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Buy any name brand and beat it till it breaks then buy another one
I wanted to share this website about a new designed bullet remover by Quinetics Corporation.
I love the other ideas they sell.

https://www.quineticscorp.com/

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

lightman
06-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Well, the RCBS came in one day last week and I got a chance to use it today. The 30 Carbine, 380 and 9MM cases had a tendency to slip through the collet, but they worked. Rimmed cases worked even better. I would not want to pull a large number of bullets with this method, but for limited use I consider it money well spent.

brassrat
06-13-2017, 09:13 PM
I broke two RCBS and aint paying to return their junk hammers. My new FA seems good and I just beefed it up.

HP9MM
06-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Let it rebound without holding it tight. I did a death grip on 35 9MM Luger rounds and had 3 weeks of the worst tennis elbow!

TCFAN
06-14-2017, 12:15 AM
I broke my RCBS after many years of use. I boxed it up and sent it back with a letter saying that if it was not covered by their life time warranty just throw it in the trash. About 1 week after mailing it back I got a new one in the mail.