PDA

View Full Version : Good (video) discussion on Polyagonal barrels and Lead

adam_mac84
06-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before... but Fortunecookie45 is my spirit animal. Well thought out discussion at least...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLN5xsZlaaE

I can listen to him talking for hours haha. Love his videos, even for things I don't cast for or utilize

7Acres
06-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Haha! I'm subscribed to him on YouTube too. He covers the topics on his videos very thoroughly. I've always wondered if he was a member on here.

reddog81
06-04-2017, 11:28 AM
From the video - " You hear a lot about Glock pistols blowing and you don't hear about other pistols blowing up". Really???

I agree with the basic premise of his video but he does make a number of questionable statements.

dbarry1
06-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Excellent video Adam. I knew about unsupported glock chambers (and I have several), but didn't realize they are as oversized compared to aftermarket.

adam_mac84
06-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Excellent video Adam. I knew about unsupported glock chambers (and I have several), but didn't realize they are as oversized compared to aftermarket.

That was one of my takeaways too. Just got my first glock and intend to try some PC. With a barrel in the future. Glock does have its recommendations against ALL reloaded ammo. I think that is why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David2011
06-04-2017, 01:33 PM
All manufacturers say to not use handloads.

dragon813gt
06-04-2017, 01:39 PM
All manufacturers say to not use handloads.

Exactly, just like every bottom feeding pistol has an unsupported chamber to some degree. Current gen Glocks are nothing like the original. They aren't supported as much as aftermarket barrels but they're suported enough to not be an issue. They also have the advantage of feeding more reliably. There is no proverbial free lunch.

mjwcaster
06-04-2017, 06:06 PM
I have seen more smiled brass from shields than Glocks in our classes.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

ghh3rd
06-04-2017, 06:42 PM
About the first thing that I did when I purchased my Glock 27 was to order a Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel. I didn't feel that the fouling would give me a problem, as I didn't expect to get much, and would monitor it anyway. The issue that I had with using the Glock barrel for reloads was the unsupported spot that allows the brass to bulge.

I figured that with my luck the weak spot would line up a time or two and allow the brass to rupture. I have never felt unsafe when using reloads in my G27 with the aftermarket barrel.

Spector
06-05-2017, 07:07 AM
I had the Kaboom in a Glock when the case ruptured right in the unsupported area of the chamber, but still did not realize there was much difference in the diameter of the chambers. The barrel and slide appeared unscathed. The magazine reusable with one small part replaced. The rest of the polymer frame and trigger was destroyed. I had successfully put over 13,000 cast boolit rounds down the Gen 1 Glock 21 barrel and was very satisfied with it's performance. I personally loved that rifling and accuracy with cast and actually worried very little about a kaboom in 45 ACP.

Now I will not fire any handload through a Glock barrel unless it is aftermarket like the KKM with more support in the chamber. That is what I have in my Glock 41 and there is a marked difference in chamber support between the KKM and the Glock 41 barrels.

I learned my lesson.

Mike

Duke3026
06-08-2017, 05:19 AM
Exactly, why I purchased a KKM barrel for my G40 10mm Spector.

http://greent.com/40Page/general/kb.htm

Murphy
06-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Something I have wondered about in regards to the Glock and cast bullets. Could the fact that due to the massive number of Glocks out there in comparison to other handguns, be a factor that needs to be added into the equation?

Also, the Glock was made as a military sidearm meant to work under the worse of conditions. I can understand a little extra room in the chamber to help cope with dirty ammunition under field conditions.

I know there are many who have shot 1000's of cast bullets through their Glock and never had any issues. Personally, I would lean toward safety's side and buy an aftermarket barrel just for shooting cast. Better safe than sorry and pretty darn cheap insurance.

Just food for thought.

Murphy

Duke3026
06-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Murphy! That's certainly the safest bet. I'd like to know the real number of KaBooms, that are happening. I can hear the howling from Glock fans already. Fact is they've been going on for quiet sometime. There's been enough documented on the cases not being fully supported.

Dean Speir from "The Gun Zone", now no longer has his site up. Had stuff up on KaBooms, I'm sure a search could turn his articles up. If your reloading, it's foolish to not buy a fully supported barrel. I like having my appendages, and being pain free.

dverna
06-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Once fired 9mm and .40 is so inexpensive that I decided to get aftermarket barrels for my Glocks. I do not believe anyone is sure about why there have been some blow ups but a barrel is not expensive if it adds a level of assurance.

I wonder how many are caused by poor crimp and the bullet getting pushed back....increasing pressure. That bit of unsupported chamber winds up as the failure point.

dbosman
06-08-2017, 05:07 PM
The Internet Wayback Machine https://archive.org/web/web.php can get you into sites no longer up.197193

If you know a date when the material was there, you can click on that date, or just explore various versions.
The image is the results for "The Gun Zone".

jonp
06-08-2017, 07:34 PM
I've watched several of his video's but have not for a while now. I'd forgotten about him and thanks for bringing him back up. I subscribed. I've never bought the "use lead in a Glock and you'll die" schmeal. It never made a great deal of sense to me.