PDA

View Full Version : A Lee Question

lightman
06-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know if Lee offers a set of shell holders that fit their case gauge trimmers. I use them for polishing some of the cases that I collect. I don't want to buy the case gauge for every odd caliber that I encounter, but would consider the shell holder.

Gillie Dog
06-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Do not think so.

But the Zip Trim Three Jaw Chuck and the Spinner Stud to make it electric drill compatible should do you I would guess.

GD

flashhole
06-03-2017, 06:08 PM
GD's is a good suggestion, take a look at the Three Jaw Chuck and Spinner Stud. I have one and use it just as you describe, polishing case using the drill press.

daboone
06-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Yes the do they are the priming set. Don't see them listed on the Lee site but Titan has the set listed. As mentioned Lee's 3 Jaw Chuck is perfect for what you want to do.

lightman
06-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Thanks Guys. That looks like just what I need.

SARuger
06-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Lyman's EZ Trim shell holder chuck thing (can't think what they call it) would work as well

flashhole
06-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Not sure about the Lyman unless you get a long bolt and cut the head off of it that can be chucked in the drill.

Here are the things I have on my bench.

Bottom is the Lee Three-Jaw Chuck with the Lock Stud shown with the ball handle trimmer. It chucks up nicely in the drill.

Middle is the Lyman E-Zee trimmer system, you can see the ball handle (I added the ball) has the screw in shaft that captures the case in the standard shell holder. It comes from the factory with a handle on the screw in shaft that likely won't fit in a standard drill chuck. I really like this trimming system but I have cartridges for which Lyman does not offer the trimmer shaft (221 Fireball).

Top is part of the K&M neck tool assembly that holds the cases. It requires the Lee Auto Shell Holders shown in the red case and works really well in the drill but I find I have to use a wrench to change out cases.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/DSCF2362_zpsh7g7wor4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/DSCF2362_zpsh7g7wor4.jpg.html)

17nut
06-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Yes the do they are the priming set. Don't see them listed on the Lee site but Titan has the set listed. As mentioned Lee's 3 Jaw Chuck is perfect for what you want to do.

Errrr...No!
The primer shell holders are flat bottomed and the ones with trim kits are threaded on the inside and they are not interchangeable at all.

seaboltm
06-04-2017, 09:15 AM
+1 above. Priming and trimming quite different. As mentioned, Lee 3 jaw chuck is the way to go.

daboone
06-04-2017, 10:05 AM
My apologies for my misleading statement as,17nut and seabolt pointed out. I have not used them for sometime because I'd switched to the 3Jaw Chuck. I added a ball handle to it.

lightman
06-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replys. I looked at the shell holder set and noticed that they were different, so no harm done. I ordered the universal chuck and the stud that goes with it. Kinda forgot that they mede that, thanks again for that idea.

hpdrifter
06-04-2017, 10:29 PM
The 3 jaw is a good decision.....but with that said, probably only a few shell holders are all that's needed. A lot of sizes fit many different calibers.

Silverboolit
06-04-2017, 10:36 PM
I just bought the Lyman copyof the LEE sizing system. It now includes the power drill adapter for the cutter, at least in the rifle set .

flashhole
06-05-2017, 07:05 AM
But the cutter is not the issue. He wants to chuck the holder in a drill and spin the case to polish it.

lightman
06-05-2017, 08:39 AM
The 3 jaw is a good decision.....but with that said, probably only a few shell holders are all that's needed. A lot of sizes fit many different calibers.

Thats true, but my collection has gotten bigger and spread to old/obsolete, foreign, and metric cartridges. I have the most common ones like the 223, 308 and magnum families, and those do cover a big percentage of cases.

hpdrifter
06-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Thats true, but my collection has gotten bigger and spread to old/obsolete, foreign, and metric cartridges. I have the most common ones like the 223, 308 and magnum families, and those do cover a big percentage of cases.

makes the 3 jaw decision even better.

flashhole
06-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Don't oil the 3-jaw chuck. If you lube it use powdered graphite.

lightman
06-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the tip on oil. I'm hoping the 3 jaw chuck will arrive today.

bruce drake
06-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Contact Titan Reloading (on the sponsor bar) for a possible deal on the shellholders that come in the case length gauge sets. They are located in the same city as LEE and may be able to give you a deal on the 90+ case length gauges and matching shell holders that LEE makes (many shell holders have duplicate sizes for common case sizes (ie .473" diameter 30-06 cases and others).

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-case-length-gauges?page=3

I've been using this LEE Case trimmer set for more than 20 years and its been used in a cordless drill the entire time with that hex base slipping right into the chuck like a screwdriver bit.

mdi
06-07-2017, 04:09 PM
FWIW; Many years ago before I got a tumbler, I polished my brass using a hard wood dowel as a mandrel. I tapered the dowel to be a snug fit in the case mouth, chucked the dowel/mandrel in my drill. I pushed the case on the tapered mandrel and spun/polished the case using very fine steel wool and auto polish. Worked quite well for a few cases here and there...

EDG
06-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Lee sold a set of those shell holders many years ago with a single drive plug to spin cases. It was called the case spinner kit and had 6 case holders that fit the little trimmer drive plug.
The original intent was to motorize spinning of cases for either trimming or for hand polishing the cases with a cloth, steel wool or Scotchbrite.

I bought one of these sets and they were really cheap maybe $1.50 in the late 60s or early 70s. I guess they were never popular with the Lee crowd. I have only seen one set for sale on ebay.
I still have my set in a small plastic box. I discarded the original packaging decades ago.

This set is listed on ebay right now at what I consider an astronomical price. They call it "lee primer screw in shell holder set"
Double click for a larger better photo.

lightman
06-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Well, my universal chuck and the stud came in the other day and I'm just now getting a chance to play with them. It seems to work ok but its not big enough for some of those obsolete rimmed cases. It does beat buying a bunch of shell holders! Thanks to you guys that pointed me to this tool!