PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt fun loads

ajjohns
06-02-2017, 11:32 AM
I just wanted to throw this out there since it's finally starting to get decent weather up here in northern Mn. I did a lot of reading on old posts of shooting rounds balls in 45 Colt. I had to try it. Reason being I have an 1858 Pietta Remy 5.5 with a conversion cylinder and at least the boolits I tried shot way too high. 230 gr and up hits well above where I wanna aim at something.
I neck sized my cases, belled the mouth, Trailboss powder at 6 grs., seated a ball in to about .050 above flush with the mouth and just bumped the bell in, about the same as it was out. I smeared some blue Thompsons BP lube on the top of the rim. They shoot! And good! The lube melts away fast, I'm trying something different now. You may laugh but it's DoAll tool saver. The data sheet on it makes it seem pretty close to a lot of lubes out there. So, what the heck, I'll try it.
Another person posted this load on a different forum and said it was around 850 fps, I'll have to try it and see what I get. I was just in the testing stage the last couple weeks to see how things worked. But accuracy was good at 15 yds and right at POA. I think it may work well for small game and vermin that need a nap.
Anyway, just thought if someone was thinking of trying it, it worked for me!
Thanks!

Good Cheer
06-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Thumbs up on the tool saver!

Mohawk Daddy
06-03-2017, 01:36 PM
I have been interested in this for awhile. A gentleman named Bert Shay did some round ball shooting in 45 ACP and 45 Colt back in the 60s or early 70s. He also shot double ball loads in the Colt.

Texantothecore
06-13-2017, 10:25 AM
I shoot round ball frequently. A real blast.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Drm50
06-13-2017, 10:42 AM
I have shot both single and double ball loads in 45Colt and acp revolvers. The single ball did very
well for accuracy at short ranges. Double ball not so much as to be practical. I used Alox for lube
had no leading problems, balls cast with pure WWs. I have done same in 44 & 357 mag. with same
results.

smkummer
06-15-2017, 05:40 PM
I don't know if you can beat the accuracy of Lee's 45 200 RF bullet of which I use for cowboy action shooting in both revolver and rifle. 4.8 grains 700X should be about 700 FPS in a revolver and 900 in the rifle. Accurate enough and with fun plinking also in mind. Lee does also make a 160 grain bullet, that resembles a flying disk and I am guessing still more accurate than a round ball.