PDA

View Full Version : loads in garand and throat wear

MeestaSparkle
07-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Got to take my garand out for the first time, and since I've been having trouble with my 314299 I just loaded some 147 winchester FMJBT. I was surprised, I think this rifle has the potential to be really accurate... Anyways, I got to thinking about throat wear. I heard that with military ammo you can expect about 1 full TE increase for 1000 rounds of ammo.

I found that 32 grains of 4895 will reliably cycle my action. Any ideas if/how much this would reduce that 1TE per 1000 rounds?

What about cast boolits, would using cast boolits reduce throat wear? What about using slower powders and slower heavy bullets like the BobS load?

I'll probably load light for practice to save money anyways, but do lighter loads and/or non-jacketed significantly reduce throat wear?

Thanks!

mto7464
07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
less heat, less throat wear.

Baron von Trollwhack
07-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I've had several from CMP and had Garand Gus inspect and gauge them. He told me that a new barrel will gauge 1 to 1 1/2 thousandths throat erosion simply because of the chamber reamer differences, but after that it was about a thousandth of TE per 1000 of loads (military full Power). 32 grains 4895 is lots less powder than the heavy or light military ball loads and you should get less erosion. I suspect firing rates and ambient temps have a lot to do with wear too. BvT